Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gate Lock
midaycare 01:40 PM 08-10-2015
I need another option for my gate outside. The dck's have figured out how to open it, and it leads right to our driveway. I will try to attach a picture. Parents come in and out this way. I need something easy to latch/lock, but also hard for the kids. I'm not sure about the fire safety factor, but I'm more concerned about the kids getting run over factor. Right now I have to sit and guard the gate. Any ideas?
Attached: 3.jpg (112.2 KB) 
Blackcat31 01:50 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I need another option for my gate outside. The dck's have figured out how to open it, and it leads right to our driveway. I will try to attach a picture. Parents come in and out this way. I need something easy to latch/lock, but also hard for the kids. I'm not sure about the fire safety factor, but I'm more concerned about the kids getting run over factor. Right now I have to sit and guard the gate. Any ideas? [ATTACH]34A0[/ATTACH]
My DH just went to an on-line pool store and bought a child-proof lock for our fence gate.

I also have a rule that NO ONE but parents and/or the accompanying adult get to touch the gate lock and door handles. ANY child caught touching a gate or door handle will be in trouble here.
Michael 02:06 PM 08-10-2015
I rotated your image. I am seeing a lot of smartphone uploads that are vertical images, which work for your phone but not the desktop monitor. I download the image and right-click on the file, where there is a rotate image option. Here is that helpful image I posted previously on another thread. I have a feeling we will be seeing more of this.

midaycare 02:22 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DH just went to an on-line pool store and bought a child-proof lock for our fence gate.

I also have a rule that NO ONE but parents and/or the accompanying adult get to touch the gate lock and door handles. ANY child caught touching a gate or door handle will be in trouble here.
I have that same rule, but dcf's messed it up. They let the kids open it in the morning. And they know the rule! Grrr... Or dck's see their parents and get so excited they run to the gate and open it.
midaycare 02:23 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:
I rotated your image. I am seeing a lot of smartphone uploads that are vertical images, which work for your phone but not the desktop monitor. I download the image and right-click on the file, where there is a rotate image option. Here is that helpful image I posted previously on another thread. I have a feeling we will be seeing more of this.

Okay, confused. So all pics should be taken like that, or pics can be uploaded like that? Thanks
snbauser 02:35 PM 08-10-2015
My mom had issues with the dogs getting the latch open. She just uses a bungee cord from the gate to the fence.
Sunshine74 02:48 PM 08-10-2015
We have one like this http://www.fenceinc.com/autolatch.htm . You can get them on Amazon too. The bar to open it is on the top, so if you have taller SA, they would be able to open it, but not the little ones.
midaycare 02:50 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
We have one like this http://www.fenceinc.com/autolatch.htm . You can get them on Amazon too. The bar to open it is on the top, so if you have taller SA, they would be able to open it, but not the little ones.
I like it! It looks like I would need a new gate, though.
Renae82 03:06 PM 08-10-2015
I use a Carabiner clip, however my gate is just high enough where they can't reach it well enough to manipulate the clip. They make some that are harder to open and there is something similar that is threaded, I don't remember what is called though.
Michael 03:27 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Okay, confused. So all pics should be taken like that, or pics can be uploaded like that? Thanks
Yes, I personally believe they should be (except portrait facial pictures for acting or resumes). Ever see smartphone video on the news or FB that looks like a sliver in the center of the screen with large back areas on each side? Since smartphones are now very high definition or HD, we can now use up the whole screen to capture great looking video or pictures.
midaycare 03:46 PM 08-10-2015
Yes, I personally believe they should be (except portrait facial pictures for acting or resumes). Ever see smartphone video on the news or FB that looks like a sliver in the center of the screen with large back areas on each side? Since smartphones are now very high definition or HD, we can now use up the whole screen to capture great looking video or pictures.
Makes sense. I will do it from now on! Thanks for the tip.
Febby 03:54 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Renae82:
I use a Carabiner clip, however my gate is just high enough where they can't reach it well enough to manipulate the clip. They make some that are harder to open and there is something similar that is threaded, I don't remember what is called though.
My current center uses Carabiner clips, too. Older kids can undo them, but younger ones can't. IME they usually figure them out around 3 1/2. But it still slows them down, at least.

The threaded ones are called quick links, I think, but they take a while to do/undo, so I'm not sure that they would work if the gate needs to be opened on a regular basis.
midaycare 05:17 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
My current center uses Carabiner clips, too. Older kids can undo them, but younger ones can't. IME they usually figure them out around 3 1/2. But it still slows them down, at least.

The threaded ones are called quick links, I think, but they take a while to do/undo, so I'm not sure that they would work if the gate needs to be opened on a regular basis.
Hmmm...something to look into.
rosieteddy 06:03 PM 08-10-2015
I USED THE CLIPS THEY WORK ON THE WHOLE UNDER THE HANDLE......yOU COULD ALSO GET THE U SHAPED SAFETY BAR FOR OVER THE TOP.i WOULD TELL THE PARENTS TO NOT LET THE CHILDREN OPEN THE GATE.
Snowmom 06:23 PM 08-10-2015
Going off the Carabiner clips... they make one called the "mommy clip" and it's huge. I have one. They're made to hold diaper bags on shopping carts and strollers.
I bet that would work awesome.
Leigh 12:40 PM 08-11-2015
I use a caribiner on the inside part of my yard on the gate to the dogs' yard. No kid has bothered with it. On the outside, though, I use Master brand locks with a password. You can set it to a 4 letter word (never thought to see exactly WHAT 4 letter words you can use!), I just use LOCK, so the parents can remember it.
midaycare 01:24 PM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I use a caribiner on the inside part of my yard on the gate to the dogs' yard. No kid has bothered with it. On the outside, though, I use Master brand locks with a password. You can set it to a 4 letter word (never thought to see exactly WHAT 4 letter words you can use!), I just use LOCK, so the parents can remember it.
This is good! I like that option.
littletots 01:46 PM 08-11-2015

I used to take landscape. My dh called me out I was doing it wrong. So i changed to vertical. Good to see I wasn't. Going back landscape today. Thanks!
Tags:gates, locking gates
Reply Up