Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>what would you consider fair amount?
daycare 01:56 PM 09-23-2016
so I recently changed my hours and I am closing earlier. I did not raise rates this past year and therefore did this instead. Yes a few parents were upset about it at first, but they got over it.

Due to me closing earlier, I knew it was going to be hard for some families and I would also lose a few. I ended up not losing any families, but now this is where I am having the issue.

Many of my families are switching their schedules all over the place so that they can keep their child here in our program. They are requesting shorter or longer hours, different people being added to the pick up list every other day (or so if feels) they are asking to change days and it is driving me crazy.

Awhile back I asked about how many times do you all allow for your parents to change their contracts/schedules and I think everyone said that no more than 3 times a year was fair.

Well now that I have made a major change to my program, I do feel like I need to give them some time to work it all out, but I also feel like all I have been doing the last two months is paper work for all the changes taking place. One family alone has changed hours, pick up and days 5 times in two months.

What would you consider fair here. How much longer do you think I should allow for them to find time to adjust? It has been about 2.5 months since I changed my hours....
organicdclady 05:36 PM 09-23-2016
I would tell the families that have 2 weeks to give a permanent schedule in writing. After that no more changes will be approved for the remainder of the year...or allow one more before the end of the year. That is up to you. But setting a deadline for them to figure it out-and forcing them to stick to it-would be the best way to handle it imo.
Baby Beluga 06:28 PM 09-23-2016
I had one family who changed their contracted hours almost every other week for a while. At first it bugged me. Then I realized as long as it is within the hours I want to work and they are asking permission and giving prior notice, I really don't mind how many times they change their schedule.

This family also works from home and I am their first experience with childcare. I think it took a good couple of months for them to figure out a schedule that works for them.

I know 2.5 months is a good amount of time, but could it be that your families are still adjusting to the shortened hours?
daycare 08:55 PM 09-23-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I had one family who changed their contracted hours almost every other week for a while. At first it bugged me. Then I realized as long as it is within the hours I want to work and they are asking permission and giving prior notice, I really don't mind how many times they change their schedule.

This family also works from home and I am their first experience with childcare. I think it took a good couple of months for them to figure out a schedule that works for them.

I know 2.5 months is a good amount of time, but could it be that your families are still adjusting to the shortened hours?
Yes they are all trying to just to my shorter hours and so I'm trying to be flexible and understanding to this.
I have given them about 2 months to figure it out so far. I only work on contracted times set so this is why it's been heck with all the contract changes. I also schedule my staff based on children's hours and days.
childcaremom 02:05 AM 09-24-2016
Is it all families or just a select few who keep making changes?

I can think of a few different options.
1- Schedule as of x date is permanent. No changes permitted after this date.
2- You appreciate everyone's efforts to adjust to the changes. Moving forward, we are returning to the limit of 3 changes per year. And then not include the changes due to the hour change in this total.
3- Not accepting any more changes. Period.

Especially as you are dealing with staff scheduling, I think you need to put your foot down, set new limits, and then enforce it.

2.5 months is plenty of time to figure things out on the parent end of things. You've been more than generous.
Baby Beluga 08:12 AM 09-24-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
Yes they are all trying to just to my shorter hours and so I'm trying to be flexible and understanding to this.
I have given them about 2 months to figure it out so far. I only work on contracted times set so this is why it's been heck with all the contract changes. I also schedule my staff based on children's hours and days.
Staffing puts a big wrench in that I am a one woman show and didn't even think about staffing.

Have you limited schedule changes in the past? With staffing being a consideration, I would probably limit schedule changes to a certain number per year.
Tags:rates
Reply Up