Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing Prospective Providers For Me. . . What To Ask
momofboys 06:45 AM 04-30-2011
I accepted a PT nanny job this fall which will mean my older boys will need to go to a provider's home a few mornings a week (sort of sad but am okay with it, it's only about 4-5 hrs total a week). I have 3 interviews set up for next week. What all would you ask? Here's what I plan to ask. Please help me out if I seem to be missing something:

1) Does anyone smoke in your home or smoke at all (even if outdoors). We have one child with seasonal isssues with asthma
2) Are there any guns in your home?
3) What will children do/have access to play with prior to getting on the bus in the morning?
4) How would you like to be paid (cash/check)?
5) What are your fees to hold a spot?
6) Would I need to pay over Christmas break/Summer break (won't need care then but am fine with payng a small fee although I may not be paid for my job but I will get a bonus although I don't know how much it will be)?
7) How much would you charge for school delay days or cancellation days if I need care then?
8) Do you have references I can call?

Thank you for any input/advice you can offer. I am excited about meeting with one of the families b/c my son is friends with one
of her sons (although we have never had playdates, etc). One of the providers I am meeting with is newer & only has an 18-month old son which is fine but I am concerned that she won't have anything for my boys to do (only toddler toys?).
Pammie 10:34 AM 04-30-2011
Is breakfast served/included in the before-school rate? Are meals included on school-days off or do I need to send a sack lunch? What types of food/snacks do you serve? Do you allow my children to bring food?

Do you provide transportation to school - where is the closest bus stop? Do you walk the children to the bus stop and supervise them at the busstop? Should they happen to miss the bus, do you drive them to school?

Do you claim daycare income for taxes?

What kind of pets do you have? How do the pets do with children?

How much notice do you need if care is needed/not needed for school days off?

Do you expect to be paid if my children don't attend one day(illness, change in family plans)?

Do you provide full day daycare when school closes unexpectedly? On school breaks?

Are tv, video games permitted - if so what channels/games do the children use?

How do you discipline?

Do the children play outdoors? Are they directly supervised there?

What is your policy on children calling their mom or dad on your phone if they ask to?

Do you have a spot that the children can work on homework if they need to?

Are the children permitted to use your computer? Internet?
Michael 02:59 PM 04-30-2011
Interview Questions: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ew+-+questions
Abigail 04:41 PM 04-30-2011
Why would your second question be if there are guns in the house? Is that an issue where you live? I would be concerned thinking one of the boys likes to "search" for "big boy toys" and get introuble. JMO
cheerfuldom 05:23 PM 04-30-2011
I would also ask for who all lives in the house and/or is around the children on a regular basis.
momofboys 06:34 PM 04-30-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Why would your second question be if there are guns in the house? Is that an issue where you live? I would be concerned thinking one of the boys likes to "search" for "big boy toys" and get introuble. JMO
No, only concerned because we don't have them in my home & I would want to make sure that IF a provider has them they are locked away. Why is that a bad question? I just want to ensure my kids' safety. It's not an issue where I live but I've read about kids accidently killing or injuring people when they are not locked away like they should be. I would think it would be an important thing to ask. My boys are very well behaved but I have to make sure they will be in a safe environment. Thanks everyone for your input, you gave me some good things to ask that I had not thought of.

It's not necessarily my 2nd question, just the order in which I typed it. Would you not want to make sure that if there were guns in someone's home that they were locked away? I don't see it any different than making sure sharp scissors are out of reach from a toddler.
WDW 07:29 PM 04-30-2011
I would ask about guns. I have asked about guns when my DS goes to stay with family and/or friends for a sleepover. We don't have them either. It's a GOOD question, and you cannot be too careful.
Abigail 08:13 PM 04-30-2011
I don't think it's a bad question, I just thought it was your second question which lead me to think that if you bluntly asked that as your second question I would be concerned he has played with guns in the past or has an interest in getting into things he shouldn't. I would probably ask about firearms in general and ask if the bullets are kept separate as well. We don't own any firearms or weapons.....only a baseball bat, LOL, so I wouldn't be comfortable knowing one is even in someone's house personally.
cheerfuldom 08:15 AM 05-01-2011
people ask us at interviews. We are in the Midwest so its not at all uncommon for homes to have multiple guns, crossbows and that sort of thing. It is an important question. People also ask what my husband does for a job. If he was a police officer or something, they would need to know that his gun was keep in a secure place away from the children.
Tags:interview - questions, meals, potential client, potential families
Reply Up