Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ok,.. Thanks For Letting Me Know...
laundrymom 03:09 AM 10-10-2011
Just get a text,.. 603am.

In case dad forgets to tell you. We are really working on potty training with Jamie. * not real name.

My response ... K

Now Jamie has never not once shown the slightest interest in ever going. She just doesn't. She doesn't care.

Soooo. Does this impact my day in the slightest? Nope. Jamie is behind emotionally and never shown one single glimmer of trying to potty. Let alone telling me she needs to go. She also is dressed in onsies every day with buckled pants.

Ugh. This should be super fun--
Kaddidle Care 04:59 AM 10-10-2011
Well at least they didn't send her in underwear and didn't let you know.

Hang in there, you're in for a bumpy ride.
Cat Herder 05:04 AM 10-10-2011
My typical response:

"Cool!! I will start here as soon as she can recognize she needs to go and ask me, herself. Keep working at it and it should not take too long. Good luck!! "
laundrymom 05:06 AM 10-10-2011
She's not even here yet. !!! Not due til 9!!! Lol
nannyde 05:13 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Just get a text,.. 603am.

In case dad forgets to tell you. We are really working on potty training with Jamie. * not real name.

My response ... K

Now Jamie has never not once shown the slightest interest in ever going. She just doesn't. She doesn't care.

Soooo. Does this impact my day in the slightest? Nope. Jamie is behind emotionally and never shown one single glimmer of trying to potty. Let alone telling me she needs to go. She also is dressed in onsies every day with buckled pants.

Ugh. This should be super fun--
Reply: EXCELLENT

You guys work on it at home for a couple of months and I'll let you know when she is ready here.
Nellie 05:41 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Well at least they didn't send her in underwear and didn't let you know.

Hang in there, you're in for a bumpy ride.
Very Funny
morgan24 05:44 AM 10-10-2011
My reply would be That's great! I can't wait until the first time she lets me know she needs to use the potty. When she does I'll text you right away.
Nellie 06:08 AM 10-10-2011
Every Monday morning I have a DCM that will inform me of there potty training updates from over the weekend of there 16 month old son. They have been working on potty training since he was 14 months. The kid started walking at 13 1/2 months. The first weekend that they "potty trained" DCB came here with a black eye. They had him on a stool so that he could "pee" like dad" and he fell into the toilet. He has an interest in the potty so they give him treats to sit on it. He says poop and they put him on then he runs away and poops on the floor. Now they have it in there living room so he can sit on the potty when ever. They let him run around with out pants or a diaper. He has never once went number 1 or 2 in the potty. He does pee and poop all over the house. I nod and smile. The last Monday she asked how it was going here. I simply told her that he has never once given me one sign that he is ready to potty train. He has never even given me one of "her signs". He does say poop, but typically he just farted or he has a pants full.
caligirl 08:24 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
My typical response:

"Cool!! I will start here as soon as she can recognize she needs to go and ask me, herself. Keep working at it and it should not take too long. Good luck!! "
Ha Ha I love this one!
Kaddidle Care 08:30 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
Every Monday morning I have a DCM that will inform me of there potty training updates from over the weekend of there 16 month old son. They have been working on potty training since he was 14 months. The kid started walking at 13 1/2 months. The first weekend that they "potty trained" DCB came here with a black eye. They had him on a stool so that he could "pee" like dad" and he fell into the toilet. He has an interest in the potty so they give him treats to sit on it. He says poop and they put him on then he runs away and poops on the floor. Now they have it in there living room so he can sit on the potty when ever. They let him run around with out pants or a diaper. He has never once went number 1 or 2 in the potty. He does pee and poop all over the house. I nod and smile. The last Monday she asked how it was going here. I simply told her that he has never once given me one sign that he is ready to potty train. He has never even given me one of "her signs". He does say poop, but typically he just farted or he has a pants full.
Oye! People really need to start with a pet.
2ndFamilyDC 08:36 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
My typical response:

Love that response.
laundrymom 08:48 AM 10-10-2011
Well she came in in pullups, which i change with every pee. I've changed her 2 times. She wont go in the bathroom when the others do- she has been here 3 hours and has yet to say anything remotely about pottying She is being very whiney though. Ugh. This is just SUPER fun.

For the record my potty policy is in my contract and what I plan on following. Not a here are pullups and panties. She does fine at home. Good luck.

So I will continue to offer but not require her to go. Just like everything else I do.

Imwondering how long it will take for them to train her or them to give up because until she shows ANY interest or readiness its a waste of my time. My time is valuable. They may have 20 min of every 30 to sit with her coaxing but I do not.
LittleD 11:11 AM 10-10-2011
How old is she?

I had a dcm come in last week and tell me they are potty training thier 15mth girl. She said "She really wants to go, she's always playing with the potty and wants to sit when we do!" She's new, this is her 3rd week, so I haven't told her I won't even attempt it here yet, as she hasn't asked me to. I have NannyD's potty training letter on stand by for when she does, LOL!
wdmmom 11:17 AM 10-10-2011
My response is always the same. "Awesome! Keep up the good work at home. As soon as he/she can tell us they have to go potty, we'll do it!"

Parents need to realize that putting their kid on the pot every 30 minutes isn't an option at daycare. There are several other littles that need to properly be cared for so spending 5-10 minutes in the bathroom every half hour isn't feasible.
laundrymom 11:18 AM 10-10-2011
she is 2. and I have kids who potty between 18 mo and 3 1/2. I feel its a stage not an age thing. I dont want stress involved in it. No stress at all. But I dont push,plus I refuse to sit 20 out of 30 min,.. waiting on them to pee. I have 9 other children here. Thats wasiting my time.

Mom hasnt even checked on her....

want to bet that she wears diapers at home????

I know for a fact that they have different rules for meals, tv, bedtimes, behavior, etc,... than they tell me,.. I bet this is no different.

Im just frustrated... and,.. I refuse to do it alone just because Mom wants it done.
laundrymom 11:23 AM 10-10-2011
thats the thing,..
if she had ANY interest I would,.. believe me,.. 7 in diapers, 6 changes a day,.. Im over diapers, but a screaming 2 yr old because she hates the bathroom is not something Im willing to do. Im just so frustrated.

Originally Posted by wdmmom:
My response is always the same. "Awesome! Keep up the good work at home. As soon as he/she can tell us they have to go potty, we'll do it!"

Parents need to realize that putting their kid on the pot every 30 minutes isn't an option at daycare. There are several other littles that need to properly be cared for so spending 5-10 minutes in the bathroom every half hour isn't feasible.

Kaddidle Care 11:32 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Mom hasnt even checked on her....

want to bet that she wears diapers at home????

I know for a fact that they have different rules for meals, tv, bedtimes, behavior, etc,... than they tell me,.. I bet this is no different.

Im just frustrated... and,.. I refuse to do it alone just because Mom wants it done.
I met a woman a a kid's birthday party once that was very proud of the fact that She "MADE the Daycare Potty Train" her daughter. INSISTED that they keep her in underwear while she wet their floor, their chairs, their cots. I just did this and turned around and walked away. I really wanted to slap her.

I always give diapered children the option - I'll ask them but I don't push it. I also don't make a big deal out of it if they are trained but have an accident. It happens.
cheerfuldom 12:17 PM 10-10-2011
I did what nanny says...have the parents do ALL the initial work and let me know when child is ready to begin at daycare. No undies till they are 2 weeks accident free. Recently had a mom say that her special needs 2 year old was ready to potty train. I acted super excited and told her to get started at home and keep me updated. I KNOW this child was not ready, she had barely started walking (special needs like I said) and could not climb, dress, run or anything else like that physically. Mom came back three weeks later (after keep me updated) and said they are going to try again in maybe 6 months to a year. I did not put this child on the potty here at all or stress out over this or offer anything. mom got the full impact of how NOT ready her child was and made the right decision to just let it go for know. Problem solved! part of my potty guidelines is that I do not force a child to try and always stop the process if I am seeing excessive crying or stress from the child over pottying.
Cat Herder 12:26 PM 10-10-2011
This is from a training class I took last Wednesday..... It was intended to be given to parents to do at HOME.

A child is usually ready for toilet training when he/she can do most of the following:
1. Sit for short periods
2. Follow simple directions and complete simple tasks
3. Understands the meaning of toilet training words
4. Stay dry for at least 2 hours at a time
5. Stay dry during naps
6. Walk to and from the restroom
7. Pull his /her pants up and down
8. Verbally express the need to go
9. Have regularly scheduled bowel movements
10. Show facial expressions, position themselves, or make sounds before urinating or having a bowel movement
11. Control muscles used in the elimination and voiding process
12. Expresses an interest in regular underwear
13. Shows interest in the toilet or potty chair

Techniques for successful toilet training include:
1. Staying calm and maintaining a sense of humor
2. Explaining and showing children exactly what to do
3. Teaching appropriate words for body parts, urine, and bowel movements
4. Recognizing when children are ready to eliminate or void
5. Teaching children the connection between the feeling and having to go
6. Using a potty chair or potty attachment if child sized toilets are unavailable
7. Reading books about toilet training
8. Using easily removed clothing; no zippers, snaps, buttons or belts
9. Helping children on and off the potty
10. Teaching correct wiping, flushing, dressing and hand washing practices
11. Recognize that accidents often occur immediately after leaving the potty; try not to show disappointment, and never show anger or punish accidents
12. Understand that children may regress to needing diapers again during times of stress. Examples include the birth of a new sibling, major move, parent retuning to work, family illness/death or divorce
Tags:potty trained - not, potty training
Reply Up