Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Holiday Toys of 2011
Cat Herder 07:15 AM 10-19-2011
It is that time of year!! As we all head off to buy the must have toys of the season; I thought it would be nice to share reviews and offer creative, affordable, ideas to our fellow parents.

I would like to see all budgets and ages in here...

I know it would be of value to me and I hope, to others...

Thank you, in advance!!!!
SunflowerMama 12:22 PM 10-19-2011
We have 4 year old twin girls and we usually shoot for under $100 each.

We started a little tradition 2 years ago and give each 3 gifts to represent the gifts from the wisemen. One to represent gold, one to represent frankincense, and one to represent myrrh.

This is a great article on the concept and what we used last year to come up with ideas...
http://www.kyria.com/topics/marriage...gingmyrrh.html

They always end up getting gifts from family so this is a great little way for us not go overboard while focusing more on the reason for the season.
Blackcat31 12:29 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:

We started a little tradition 2 years ago and give each 3 gifts to represent the gifts from the wisemen. One to represent gold, one to represent frankincense, and one to represent myrrh.

This is a great article on the concept and what we used last year to come up with ideas...

They always end up getting gifts from family so this is a great little way for us not go overboard while focusing more on the reason for the season.
I have a past DCF that practiced the 3 gift rule.
1 gift was something they could do as a family,
2nd gift was a book or a game and the
3rd gift was something the individual child really wanted.

I always thought it was a really nice idea and a great wasy to limit spending when kids now days have EVERYTHING!
Meyou 12:50 PM 10-19-2011
My dd wants some dolls from Monster High? Which I've been told is a show, that she would love if she had tv at home and not just at daddy's.
safechner 04:12 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
My dd wants some dolls from Monster High? Which I've been told is a show, that she would love if she had tv at home and not just at daddy's.
There is no shows of Monster high in TV. My 9 years old daughter loves Monster high that she have a lot of dolls, books, etc.. She have been seeing online and play games.. Maybe that is why your daughter saw some of show online. Checking it out for yourself.. www.monsterhigh.com
daycare 04:17 PM 10-19-2011
We celebrate St Nicolas

We take old toys we no longer use or want And put them in a decorative sack.
We place the sack on the back porch and then have a delightful dinner.

The next morning we collect our sacks to see the new things we got. Usually they are small and not of large vaule.
Meyou 03:39 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by safechner:
There is no shows of Monster high in TV. My 9 years old daughter loves Monster high that she have a lot of dolls, books, etc.. She have been seeing online and play games.. Maybe that is why your daughter saw some of show online. Checking it out for yourself.. www.monsterhigh.com

Well that just goes to show how much she doesn't really like them since she has no idea where they come from. lol Her cousin (the child who has everything the second it comes out...with doubles) has them. My dd wanted everything her cousin has which I don't blame her. My niece has more toys than my daycare and kids combine and all the latest and greatest.
MommyMuffin 05:23 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:

I love this! That is such a wonderful idea. It is so easy for me to have mommy guilt over gifts...well just about anything really. Haha!! This is a great reminder for me and a great way to teach children about the reason for the season and hopefully get rid of the gimmies.

I'm will be check this post often. I can't wait to hear what people are doing and getting!!
momofsix 12:26 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
It is that time of year!! As we all head off to buy the must have toys of the season; I thought it would be nice to share reviews and offer creative, affordable, ideas to our fellow parents.

I would like to see all budgets and ages in here...

I know it would be of value to me and I hope, to others...

Thank you, in advance!!!!
We're not buying family gifts this year. We're saving up birthday and Christmas gift money for a trip instead!

We usually spend $80-$100 on each child-altogether it's a lot of money, but for each child it goes fast! When they were younger we spent about $50 on each. we weren't rich and it seemed like a waste of money to spend it on toys. If we spent more it was on things like pj's, winter coats etc.

Our girls are at the age where all they want are clothes, books, purses...

When our girls were younger they loved anything crafty. Anything at all-there own box of markers (didn't have to share w/ everyone else!), sketchbooks. beads and jewelry making stuff...

Books-my kids have always loved getting books for any occasion-they take after their mama

Barbies-I know some people hate them, but with six girls we were surrounded by barbies! Our whole basement was a "Barbie Emporium" at one time You never saw so much pink!

Outdoor toys-I usually tried to buy beach toys, roller blades, skateboards etc. as they went on clearance at the end of summer. They had to wait to use them but they were ok with that.

Although I never bought them (they multiply like rabbits!) my girls all loved stuffed animals. They could spend hours playing with them!

I'm not experienced with boys. The best reaction I got for boy's gifts was when I got them each a remote control car that spun around and acted crazy. They were only like $!0! I know, battery powered, no educational value, noisy...what can I say?

Our three best toy investments were
1. One of those horses on springs. I found it at a yard sale when my 20 yo was just a baby and picked it up. All the kids loved it and it was very well used, but never broke! I sold it at a garage sale a couple years ago!

2. The old little tikes dollhouse. We also got this 20 years ago. I still have it and the daycare kids play with it if I take it out. It's one that I'm saving for the grand kids.

3. American girl dolls. These were a huge investment for us but very worth it. When we home-schooled the girls did a class on the different time periods in history using the dolls and books. I bought all the "accessories" from craft shows to save money. My girls are all saving their dolls for their little girls

Great post idea Catherder!
lil angels 12:45 PM 10-20-2011
We have two boys and I like to redo bedrooms and get things like bikes and stuff we can use in the summer to there rooms are ready to explode already. My oldest loves his Nintendo ds. That is something that we can keep adding to for birthdays and holidays their is always a game that they would like. This year I am at a loss I am trying to figure out what to do to I am excited to hear others posts.
GrannyJ 04:47 PM 10-20-2011
I found this list while surfing the internet for christmas ideas! I found it in a couple of places. So is this what all the stores got together and decided this is what our children want? It is a well rounded list!
Current Top 10 Christmas Toys 2011 ~ Top 10 Toys for Boys and Girls

#1 My Pillow Pets
These cuddly little stuffed animal pillows, known as Pillow Pets or My Pillow Pets are the hottest sellers this year. They can be used as a comfortable pillow companion for your kiddo’s head or they can double up as a pajama holder for sleepovers. This toy is a GREAT toy for a girl or boy!! Our #1 Toy of the year for sure!!
#2 Sing-a-ma-jigs
These cute, zany little singing animals are known as Singamajigs. Each color Singamajig sings in its own tone and have vocal ranges from alto to baritone. Once in a group, they sing together in perfect harmony.
#3 XBox Kinect
XBox Kinect is the long awaited addition to the XBox lineup. This game is absolutely amazing!. The Xbox Kinect Sensor, senses a players movements which allows the player to become an actual part of the game.
#4 LeapFrog's Leapster Explorer
The Leapster Explorer allows your child to broaden their school skills and life skills. The Leapster Explorer is definitely a gift your child will just adore. Allow your child to learn, all while having fun on their Leapster Explorer.
#5 Dance Star Mickey
The singing mouse that needs no introduction! We are of course referring to, the new and very animated Dance Star Mickey. Dance Star Mickey will keep your children having a great time and laughing as he sings and shakes his little tail from side to side. Dance Star Mickey is a breath of fresh air that both kids and adults alike, just adore
#6 Zhu Zhu Pets
These cute little robotic hamsters called Zhu Zhu Pets have placed in the top 10 toys for 2 years in a row. The Zhu Zhu Pet hamsters have remained a top 10 favorite among both boys and girls and continue to break sales records with new hamsters such as Kung Fu Zhu Zhu Pets and Punk Rock Zhu Zhu Pets.
#7Scrabble Flash Cubes
Scrabble Flash offers a compact, up to date version of the classic Scrabble game that people of all vocabulary levels can enjoy. This is a great game for players eight years and older.
#8 Loopz
The Loopz Game is a high-energy music memory game that tests kids' skills and gets them moving. The Loopz Game is a great interactive game that allows for one or two players at a time.
#9 Magic Orbeez Maker
The Orbeez Maker uses super absorbent Polymer Beads and when activated by water grow up to 100 times their size. Once the Magic Orbeez are fully grown, the beads bounce down their ramps and are collected in their base tray. Have fun playing with the fully grown squishy beads, or make fun designs with included trays.
#10 Apples to Apples
Apples to Apples is a game of comparisons. This game will keep everyone laughing. Apples to Apples has won numerous awards including "Party Game of the Year". Apples to Apples is a great wholesome game the whole family will love!!
Tags:2011, gift ideas, holidays, toy reviews
Reply Up