Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toilet Training Question - How long will this take at Daycare?
SunshineMama 05:00 AM 04-27-2012
I have been potty training 3 kids for the past month. One of the children, age 4, picked it up the first week and has been accident free ever since.

The other 2 (twins, almost 3), sometimes tell me 1 or 2 times a day that they have to go, but they always go in their diapers in between. When I take them for our breaks they will go most of the time, but I only take them on breaks every 2.5 hours or so, as I watch multiple children. So I have been taking them on potty breaks and take them when they ask, but there really has not been a change in the past month. They still wet their diapers in between. One of the children will poop more on the potty, and the other never does.

How long does this typically take? The parents said they do pretty well at home???

What has been your experience with the length of time it takes children to potty train? Every other child I have trained has only taken anywhere from 1 day to 1 week max.

Thanks!
mac60 05:05 AM 04-27-2012
If they are truly ready, it should only take a few days.
cheerfuldom 05:11 AM 04-27-2012
I bet the parents are putting them on the potty A LOT more at home. And maybe giving candy or other rewards. If the progress is slow at daycare, I would say another 6 months unless they suddenly get really self motivated. I potty the kids every hour when training but I know you have the issue about where your bathroom is and stuff.
SunshineMama 05:30 AM 04-27-2012
What are your thoughts on rewards?

I started out with just verbal praise without much luck, then I tried stickers, and they asked more, then I tried candy, and they asked a lot, but then were only asking for the rewards and they weren't going on the potty.

Cheerfuldom: As far as taking them every hour: how long did you do that? I would be willing to do that if I knew I only had to for a few weeks, etc but I can't do every hour for months at a time.
cheerfuldom 06:50 AM 04-27-2012
I have a bathroom right next to my playroom. I can leave the bathroom door ajar and still see the other kids.

At this point, you don't need to be rewarded them for ASKING to go to the potty. They know how to do that, whether they do it or not at the time. If I do rewards, I only reward for putting something in the potty.

There is only so much you can do so try not to stress yourself out. Either the kids aren't ready or the parents are not doing as much as they say they are doing at home.
Ariana 09:38 AM 04-27-2012
If a child is really ready it should take 2 weeks (generous estimate) some kids take a few days. If kids are not ready and are started too early it can take months!

It also depends on whether you do rewards. Rewards can speed the process in the beginning but sometimes it can backfire later on....it really depends.
Reply Up