Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Are Parents So Anti-Swaddling?
crazydaycarelady 08:45 AM 08-27-2013
I started a new baby today and from what I hear from her parents and aunt & uncle that I also watch for, she is a real bear to get to sleep and does not sleep well.

I am thinking I'll use my ace in the hole and swaddle her, maybe give her a binky also. I have a lot of success with swaddling.

So today at drop-off mom specifically says "no swaddling" and no binky either. Then she readily admits that as soon as they stopped both is when the sleep troubles started.

*sigh*
butterfly 08:52 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I started a new baby today and from what I hear from her parents and aunt & uncle that I also watch for, she is a real bear to get to sleep and does not sleep well.

I am thinking I'll use my ace in the hole and swaddle her, maybe give her a binky also. I have a lot of success with swaddling.

So today at drop-off mom specifically says "no swaddling" and no binky either. Then she readily admits that as soon as they stopped both is when the sleep troubles started.

*sigh*
Swaddling is great. We can't do it here. Against licensing rules due to sids. No blankets can be used for infants under 1 year of age.

Parents maybe fear SIDS?
Familycare71 08:54 AM 08-27-2013
IMO: because they look at it from their point of view instead of the infants...
If it were me I would tell her I need to try something or they need to hire a nanny. I wouldn't listen to a baby cry all day when I knew I could probably solve it but the parent won't let me...
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 08-27-2013
As a parent, why start the child on a habit that will eventually have to be broken later on?

Why not simply teach them good sleep habits from the get-go?

Also swaddling may be super great for some kids, but there are LOTS of articles out there supporting the negative side to swaddling too so like any parenting style, to each his/her own.

If the parent isn't willing to allow you to swaddle, then you'll either have to figure something else out or term them.
preschoolteacher 09:15 AM 08-27-2013
I swaddled my son, and I don't think I'll do it with the next baby! It was SO HARD weaning him from the swaddle. He was able to roll over from back to belly (which is when you need to stop swaddling, as it could be extremely dangerous if he rolled while swaddled and couldn't lift his head), but he couldn't sleep longer than 45 minutes without being swaddled. He'd twitch in his sleep and since he was used to always having his arms swaddled, that little movement would wake him up every time. Months 5-8 were really hard on us in terms of sleep... finally at 8 months old he started sleeping better.

I won't do it next time because I think it created a really bad habit!
crazydaycarelady 09:27 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by :
As a parent, why start the child on a habit that will eventually have to be broken later on?
I agree BC but that is not the case here since their suggestion was that I put her to sleep in the swing. Now THAT is against regs here. They started her with a binky and swaddle, which worked well, quit that, were unsuccessful getting her to sleep and now have resorted to the swing!
Cradle2crayons 09:34 AM 08-27-2013
I agree BC but that is not the case here since their suggestion was that I put her to sleep in the swing. Now THAT is against regs here. They started her with a binky and swaddle, which worked well, quit that, were unsuccessful getting her to sleep and now have resorted to the swing!
Sounds like parents took away the binky and swaddle without adding in sleep training. And poor baby is having a hard time adjusting without comfort measures.

I'd tell mom that while you understand wanting to break those habits, it may not be possible without adding in self soothing measures etc.

Basically I'd given ten bucks saying that the baby gets a binky and swaddle at home and they are wanting YOU to break the baby of those habits instead of them.
MyAngels 11:29 AM 08-27-2013
There have been studies showing that improper swaddling can lead to hip dysplasia, so I won't do it for anyone else's child.

It's against regs here, so even if I could I wouldn't.

I also agree with PPs about starting something that's just going to have to be broken later on.

Better to do proper sleep training from the get-go.
melilley 11:41 AM 08-27-2013
I had a child once (when I worked in a center) whose mom specifically told us no pacifiers. Then went on to say that she uses her finger at home
blandino 11:41 AM 08-27-2013
I would say it is because parents are able to hold and rock and soothe the baby to sleep, instead of swaddling. So it is easy to say don't do it wen you are caring for one child.

I am usually all for things like BC said. I don't like to encourage habits that you will have to break. However, I do swaddle. I won't do it for extended periods, and I don't do it every time, but when they are fussy - a swaddle is my friend.
BumbleBee 12:04 PM 08-27-2013
I don't know why they are. I know here in Michigan we can only swaddle until 4 months so I prefer not to start a habit I'm going to have to break.
LaLa1923 12:07 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Why not simply teach them good sleep habits from the get-go?

Also swaddling may be super great for some kids, but there are LOTS of articles out there supporting the negative side to swaddling too so like any parenting style, to each his/her own.

If the parent isn't willing to allow you to swaddle, then you'll either have to figure something else out or term them.

I am not a fan of sleep crutches!! It's best to work things out and in the long run everyone will be much happier!!
blandino 12:28 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

I am not a fan of sleep crutches!! It's best to work things out and in the long run everyone will be much happier!!
Me neither ! But I have a lot of parents who rock and soothe to sleep. So if they are using themselves as a sleep crutch, then there is little difference between that and artifical sleep crutch. IMHO.

I have a 6 mo old DCG, whose mom has put in the tough work early, and she is a champ at sleeping, and putting herself down. She was the first baby we have had in a long time who when she started was able to fall asleep EASILY in a PnP. Now you lay her down, she flips to her tummy, whines softly, and runs her face into her sheet and passes out. Her mom has helped her out so much by doing the tough work at the beginning - and making everything a lot easier for baby & caregivers.

My problem is that parents like that are few and far between with my clients. And I am not a fan of fighting THAT KIND of uphill battle when it comes to an infant, so I will use swaddle and swings.

If it were my own child, I wouldnt rely on sleep crutches.
jenboo 12:37 PM 08-27-2013
The only other thing I could think of would be to try a sleep sack. Its not tight like a swaddle but might give her a little comfort and its not something you would have to wean from because as she gets older, you could replace it with a blanket.

I agree with the self soothing sleep habits but you might have a hard time if the parents aren't willing to do it at home.
Unregistered 12:43 PM 08-27-2013
because every few months a new article comes out and tells us that something else is harming our child or we're sucky parents. I was all for swaddling and then a lot of message boards I subscribe to started posting articles that swaddling was found to be bad. Same thing with binkies. Some research show it's bad for teeth and hurts breastfeeding, others say it prevents SIDS and can actually be good for breastfeeding. It's frustrating. Add cereal to the bottle, it help kids sleep. Don't do that, it makes them fat. Daycare is good for socialization, nope it's horrible and your kids will resent you for leaving them with a stranger. Potty train early- being in diapers too long causes uti's. Oh never mind, potty training early causting constipation. Ugh. Being a parent is hard!
crazydaycarelady 01:01 PM 08-27-2013
Yes, I agree. You can find "proof" to support just about any opinion when it comes to parenting. I think companies and new fangled inventions are making things harder too. Because of Pull-Ups we now have kids walking around in soaking "diapers" until they are 3 1/2. Kids can't use silverware because they are only used to sucking from pouch. I have a 9mo that can't sit up (just got him) unless he is in a Bumbo. These new things aren't helping kids. I keep getting kids that have all kinds of issues like these that I never used to see.
preschoolteacher 01:40 PM 08-27-2013
Kids can't use silverware because they are only used to sucking from pouch.
^^^^^This!!^^^^

It's just a pet peeve of mine! I know of some kids who get something like two meals a day from a pouch. Ugh!

I admit I throw an applesauce pouch into my diaper bag on occasion when I'm going out on a long walk with my son near snacktime. But the child certainly doesn't need to suck on a pouch every time he's in a shopping cart/car seat/stroller or when I'm too lazy to put together a real meal!
Scout 04:43 PM 08-27-2013
I swaddled DS2 until like 6 or 7 mos! I think that it really did make his development slower because his legs were so constricted. I know it helped him sleep well, gosh, he slept so good. But, I was terrified of the thought of having to get him to sleep well without it. I panicked knowing that my sleep would get interupted and he'd be in distress trying to sleep without that swaddle. I went to a one arm swaddle and then a sleepsack-which I LOVED! What a great way to keep baby warm without the worry of a blanket. The short end would be I guess I agree with BC also...it would've been much easier for me to get him self soothing at a few weeks old before I went back to work than to wait until he was much older and I had to get up before 5 am!
Familycare71 07:41 PM 08-27-2013
I guess I'm a softie! I feel bad for babies - they come from this warm, tight, dark, rocking, white noise filled place to a loud, bright, cold, hard environment. Everything is new, loud and startling- I guess I feel like if I can take some of that from them I want to. I don't mind slowly letting them adjust to this harsh world. If I have a full time infant by the time they are 4-6 months they don't need anything to sleep but maybe a pacifier (depends on home).
I also try to wear infants as much as I can until they are about 2-2.5 months old (except sleep but then I swaddle)...
Angelsj 07:45 AM 08-28-2013
Yes, I agree. You can find "proof" to support just about any opinion when it comes to parenting. I think companies and new fangled inventions are making things harder too. Because of Pull-Ups we now have kids walking around in soaking "diapers" until they are 3 1/2. Kids can't use silverware because they are only used to sucking from pouch. I have a 9mo that can't sit up (just got him) unless he is in a Bumbo. These new things aren't helping kids. I keep getting kids that have all kinds of issues like these that I never used to see.
This is so true!! However, they suck directly from those things??!!! Ok, I admit to being an old fart here. I just assumed they were a non glass means of storing the baby food (which I do not use.) Interesting. Learn something new every day!
Angelsj 07:50 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I guess I'm a softie! I feel bad for babies - they come from this warm, tight, dark, rocking, white noise filled place to a loud, bright, cold, hard environment. Everything is new, loud and startling- I guess I feel like if I can take some of that from them I want to. I don't mind slowly letting them adjust to this harsh world. If I have a full time infant by the time they are 4-6 months they don't need anything to sleep but maybe a pacifier (depends on home).
I also try to wear infants as much as I can until they are about 2-2.5 months old (except sleep but then I swaddle)...
I agree. I don't fault those who teach the babies to sleep well or the providers who want them to do so, but I am more comfortable wearing little ones. And I do wear them while they sleep, and probably through 8-9 months depending on the activity level of the child. Some sleep better in a PNP by more around 4-5 months. Others don't like it until 8-9 months.
I don't swaddle though. Our regs do not permit it. Also no swings for sleeping. That would have killed one of my older boys. Only way the kid EVER slept was in the swing.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
This is so true!! However, they suck directly from those things??!!! Ok, I admit to being an old fart here. I just assumed they were a non glass means of storing the baby food (which I do not use.) Interesting. Learn something new every day!
I used to think that too! Then one of my 5 yr olds showed up with one. They had "sucked" it dry and were trying to re-inflate it. When I asked what it was, I got a lesson on fruit pouches...

I made a comment about how I thought it was just eco-friendly packaging for baby food....mom got kind of huffy.....like I was implying her child was a baby...

Well I wasn't but my other 5 yr olds eat actual pears not pureed....sooooo

I have also been told they make little plastic spoons that screw onto the pouches so you can just squeeze how ever much you want into the spoon to feed baby.

Guess you learn some thing new every day.
Familycare71 07:54 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I agree. I don't fault those who teach the babies to sleep well or the providers who want them to do so, but I am more comfortable wearing little ones. And I do wear them while they sleep, and probably through 8-9 months depending on the activity level of the child. Some sleep better in a PNP by more around 4-5 months. Others don't like it until 8-9 months.
I don't swaddle though. Our regs do not permit it. Also no swings for sleeping. That would have killed one of my older boys. Only way the kid EVER slept was in the swing.
I don't fault anyone either! . Learning to put yourself to sleep is a huge skill! I just can't make myself do it before 4-6 months and I try not to hold for sleep time
Yes- the no sleeping in swings would have wrecked some of my past dck! But it is what it is now...
Lavender 07:58 AM 08-28-2013
I swaddled my oldest child for a long time because he needed to feel contained to sleep well. My middle child didn't care one way or another. My youngest hated swaddling. I think it is one tool among many tools that can be used for different children depending on their needs.

Regarding those pouches, I thought it was just a new way of packaging baby food too. I just squeeze them out into bowls and spoon feed like normal. I saw some kids sucking on them at the grocery store and was confused. I've ended up finding out that at least one of the babies in my class is very used to feeding herself from a pouch. I think that's sad as I think the parent-child interaction during feeding times is important.
Angelsj 08:31 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I used to think that too! Then one of my 5 yr olds showed up with one. They had "sucked" it dry and were trying to re-inflate it. When I asked what it was, I got a lesson on fruit pouches...

I made a comment about how I thought it was just eco-friendly packaging for baby food....mom got kind of huffy.....like I was implying her child was a baby...

Well I wasn't but my other 5 yr olds eat actual pears not pureed....sooooo

I have also been told they make little plastic spoons that screw onto the pouches so you can just squeeze how ever much you want into the spoon to feed baby.

Guess you learn some thing new every day.
Exactly. Why are we feeding our children over processed garbage anyway? What is wrong with a pear? Comes in its own convenient biodegradable package? Sigh.

And little spoons? I suppose that might be nice while traveling so you have something you know your baby could eat, but for standard use?
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, swaddling
Reply Up