Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This is Why I Can't Get Kids
Thriftylady 09:35 AM 10-26-2015
So a mom contacted me last Thursday about an interview. I went in the truck for a couple of days with hubby since I was off and we don't get much time together and told her I could interview when "I got back from out of town". I am offering a good rate right now to get more kids, so I quoted her a good rate. I messaged her yesterday (contact from Facebook) and told her I could meet yesterday, today or Tuesday. She choose today. So now talking to her again she wants to meet today but won't settle on a time. Wants her kids to start tomorrow because she has to work and no "babysitter". So now I am going to past the last message of hers and mine. Am I unreasonable? She has two kids, and I have a $30 per family enrollment fee. I copy and pasted this so hers is first"

Enrollment fee of $30? I dont have that just for an enrollment fee. Im a waitress. I have a hard time making ends meet and taking care of the kids.

And then my response:

It covers the cost of all of the state required paperwork. My rates are low, so I have to charge for these things instead of adding them into the cost of care. I may be able to do it on a payment arrangement. I know it is hard making ends meet trust me, but I have to make ends meet for my family as well.
Ariana 10:03 AM 10-26-2015
She doesn't have $30 for an enrollment fee? She therefore will give every excuse in the book to not pay you. I wouldn't touch this with a 10 ft pole but that's just me!!
Thriftylady 10:08 AM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
She doesn't have $30 for an enrollment fee? She therefore will give every excuse in the book to not pay you. I wouldn't touch this with a 10 ft pole but that's just me!!
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. She hasn't set up an interview time yet, so maybe I turned her off by not caving. I guess I posted wondering if I should cave just to get another family. I only have one family right now, with no real issues, other than kids being kids.

I just fear if I cave on something like my enrollment fee in the beginning, I will just be setting myself up for other issues, like then not wanting to pre pay as per my policy.
DaveA 10:14 AM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. She hasn't set up an interview time yet, so maybe I turned her off by not caving. I guess I posted wondering if I should cave just to get another family. I only have one family right now, with no real issues, other than kids being kids.

I just fear if I cave on something like my enrollment fee in the beginning, I will just be setting myself up for other issues, like then not wanting to pre pay as per my policy.
You're probably correct in assuming you would be asking for later troubles. If you have a payment plan for up front fees, that is a good compromise for parents who are tight financially at the moment.
Thriftylady 10:20 AM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
You're probably correct in assuming you would be asking for later troubles. If you have a payment plan for up front fees, that is a good compromise for parents who are tight financially at the moment.
Yeah I offered her a payment plan but haven't heard back from her. The thing is she would then likely need a payment plan for her deposit. I am wondering also if part of the reason I haven't heard back is because in my message before what I quoted, I told her I need pre payment for care. Sometimes you just wonder when people claim no money but need care right away if they owe their last provider and that is why they need care. When I did childcare before in Kansas, I let everyone pay at the end of the week and fell into the trap with more than one family that if I termed someone who was behind, never getting a dime. I refuse to go back down that road. I sued three families then and won, but never saw a penny.
Ariana 10:47 AM 10-26-2015
Yeah I offered her a payment plan but haven't heard back from her. The thing is she would then likely need a payment plan for her deposit. I am wondering also if part of the reason I haven't heard back is because in my message before what I quoted, I told her I need pre payment for care. Sometimes you just wonder when people claim no money but need care right away if they owe their last provider and that is why they need care. When I did childcare before in Kansas, I let everyone pay at the end of the week and fell into the trap with more than one family that if I termed someone who was behind, never getting a dime. I refuse to go back down that road. I sued three families then and won, but never saw a penny.
Exactly! You have to look out for YOU first and foremost.

I let families pay at the end of care but they give me a 2 week deposit so even if they do skip out on payment I've already been paid. The one family that I did not require a deposit from (it was a 1 hour a day) skipped out on $50. It was only $50 but it really showed me that people are willing to treat you as badly as you will allow it. Now I expect a deposit from everyone no matter how many hours of care they want.
CalCare 12:27 PM 10-26-2015
I think she's feeling like she doesn't have $30 for something that isn't a material item she needs or a service she absolutely must have preformed... Enrollment fee feels like an abstract idea to her and she's probably very careful with her cash since she doesn't have a lot. Know what I mean? Like I wouldn't go to a fancy hotel instead of a regular hotel cause I just need a place to sleep. I wouldn't go to a movie, I'd wait to see it on TV. Maybe in her mid it sounds like an extra that is costing her money, but not getting her a necessity. Just a thought. :/ I mean from the way she says, "I don't have $30 JUST for an enrollment fee".. As in she barely has $30 for childcare. And yes, with the really low cash flow she seems to have, she sounds a little risky for a contract.
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:32 PM 10-26-2015
I agree with the others. She sounds very risky and I would stick to my policy (offering a payment plan was a good idea though). I recently learned the hard way that you have to stick to your policies no matter how badly you need another enrollment It's not worth the stress. My mistake was in not having enough policies in place since I hadn't ever had parents taking such advantage before this one did. I at least had the policy of paying ahead that I wouldn't bend on, so at least in the end I wasn't out any money. Good thing I had that policy because I can see how it would not be beneath her to have skipped out on it (at the end she was lying to me several times, and I realized she'd lied to me at the beginning too and I had given her the benefit of the doubt). Anyway, my point is, it's not worth it (no matter how much you need the family) to give in when it comes to money.
Thriftylady 02:40 PM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I think she's feeling like she doesn't have $30 for something that isn't a material item she needs or a service she absolutely must have preformed... Enrollment fee feels like an abstract idea to her and she's probably very careful with her cash since she doesn't have a lot. Know what I mean? Like I wouldn't go to a fancy hotel instead of a regular hotel cause I just need a place to sleep. I wouldn't go to a movie, I'd wait to see it on TV. Maybe in her mid it sounds like an extra that is costing her money, but not getting her a necessity. Just a thought. :/ I mean from the way she says, "I don't have $30 JUST for an enrollment fee".. As in she barely has $30 for childcare. And yes, with the really low cash flow she seems to have, she sounds a little risky for a contract.
I suppose that is possible. But her kids are 3 and 5, so I am figuring that she likely knows how daycare works. I just get so tired of this song and dance. It seems everyone wants or needs child care, yet noone thinks they need to pay for it.
MarinaVanessa 07:48 PM 10-26-2015
The way I see it is if she's already trying to negotiate your fees then that's a window into what the future could look like. Also even the best of clients occasionally slip and run late or accidentally pay late, what's going to happen when this DCM picks up late? I'd be worried that she'd pull the same card if you tried to charge her a late fee and then that would turn into her not paying you period etc.
Thriftylady 08:12 PM 10-26-2015
Yeah she never contacted me again. I just hate to turn down paying clients when I really need them. The flip side is I need them to really be paying clients.
Ariana 09:57 AM 10-27-2015
I suppose that is possible. But her kids are 3 and 5, so I am figuring that she likely knows how daycare works. I just get so tired of this song and dance. It seems everyone wants or needs child care, yet noone thinks they need to pay for it.
It's because it's seen as "womens work" and we should just be happy to do things for others because their kids are so cute and we are mothers too...yadda yadda yadda It's really important that you value yourself or no one else will. It sucks to lose a paying client but try and stay positive that someone better is coming along soon!
Preschool/daycare teacher 10:36 AM 10-27-2015
It certainly doesn't help childcare providers get paying clients when there are so many stay at home moms who post on facebook and craigslist advertising that they will "babysit in their home", and go on about how they just want "something to do" and they want a play mate for their own child. And say things like, "It's not about the money. You choose how much you can pay. I only watch kids because I like the little baby snuggles and it gives my kid someone to play with" (actual comments I've read on childcare posts). I feel like posts like that takes away respect for actual childcare providers who are running a business in their home and provide good quality care.
Baby Beluga 12:25 PM 10-27-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
It certainly doesn't help childcare providers get paying clients when there are so many stay at home moms who post on facebook and craigslist advertising that they will "babysit in their home", and go on about how they just want "something to do" and they want a play mate for their own child. And say things like, "It's not about the money. You choose how much you can pay. I only watch kids because I like the little baby snuggles and it gives my kid someone to play with" (actual comments I've read on childcare posts). I feel like posts like that takes away respect for actual childcare providers who are running a business in their home and provide good quality care.

Another one that drives me bonkers is when an ad starts off as "Hi! My name is Jane and I'm a 35 year old SAHM who loves kids."
mountainside13 07:31 PM 10-27-2015
Agree 1000%!!!
Thriftylady 06:20 AM 10-28-2015
We have a lot of that here due to not having to be licensed. Many of these SAHM's are providing very cut rate care, but without some of the things I do for quality. Sadly it seems many parents will choose price over quality. Most of the SAHM crowd here don't even do handbooks and contracts. Of course that means when they just want a day off they just close and tell parents "sorry day off!". Yet for some reason parents will put up with stuff like that.
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:22 AM 10-28-2015
We have a lot of that here due to not having to be licensed. Many of these SAHM's are providing very cut rate care, but without some of the things I do for quality. Sadly it seems many parents will choose price over quality. Most of the SAHM crowd here don't even do handbooks and contracts. Of course that means when they just want a day off they just close and tell parents "sorry day off!". Yet for some reason parents will put up with stuff like that.
Yes! They put up with stuff like that, but yet you give them your days off policy upfront and they're fine until a day off comes up, and then they "punish" you for it and get mad and find someone else. I don't get why they put up with that from an extremely cheap, low quality place, but not for a quality childcare who actually work with the children and don't just sit them in front of the tv. It's like it's all about the control. If they have a lot of room to be controlling, they put up with it.
Tags:bad fit, red flag
Reply Up