Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Emergency Plan Questions
maelb05 12:55 PM 02-18-2019
How do you have it written in that you will evacuate the children? I have struggled with this because clearly eight children (my highest day) cannot fit safely in a vehicle. I currently have that I would evacuate with the youngest in strollers and the oldest ones would walk. However, this wouldn't be feasible in bad/cold weather situations. Another thing I struggle with figuring out, is having an infant solely on breastmilk. What do you do in this situation? How would you evacuate and bring breastmilk that could last several hours out?
Blackcat31 01:03 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by maelb05:
How do you have it written in that you will evacuate the children? I have struggled with this because clearly eight children (my highest day) cannot fit safely in a vehicle. I currently have that I would evacuate with the youngest in strollers and the oldest ones would walk. However, this wouldn't be feasible in bad/cold weather situations. Another thing I struggle with figuring out, is having an infant solely on breastmilk. What do you do in this situation? How would you evacuate and bring breastmilk that could last several hours out?
My evacuation plan includes seeking shelter in a place that is walk-able and doesn't require a vehicle.

I would keep bags of frozen breast milk ready to be quickly grabbed and stashed in your emergency kit. Or perhaps just have powdered formula in your emergency kit. It would take a while for it to thaw and/or go bad.

In the case of a true emergency I dont see any parent complaining about their child being fed formula vs breast milk...kwim?
Pestle 01:11 PM 02-18-2019
Evacuation for me just needs to be a reasonable distance from the house. Are you required to transport the kids in case of a mandatory evacuation? I can't see that being reasonable. If there were a hurricane or some other kind of mandatory evacuation of the region, wouldn't you just close the daycare and require immediate pick up?
maelb05 01:26 PM 02-18-2019
I have also heard that we need to plan for parents not being able to reunite with their children for up to 24 hours after an evacuation? Is that correct? Because I also can't imagine how that would work.
Cat Herder 08:46 AM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by maelb05:
I have also heard that we need to plan for parents not being able to reunite with their children for up to 24 hours after an evacuation? Is that correct? Because I also can't imagine how that would work.
Yes. A local fire station, public library or public school is the way to go. They also can help you transport. Pack formula, Mom will get over it, she will only want little one back in her arms ASAP, will forget everything else, kid won't starve. Give the fire dept a call and have their resource officer come do a little "class" with your kids, let them know how many you have, limitations and talk about a quick plan for your crew. They like to pre-plan for their territory, it is sort of their thing.
LittleExplorers 09:12 AM 02-19-2019
I was told to put life and safety will be placed above all else. In the event there was a catastrophe we needed to get far away from the property, I would load them in my vehicle and go. This is a very unlikely situation and my in place and on location are on my property. We had a very large country yard. I have no car seats and no insurance to transport but if we were all at risk of death, we would go.
ShellsByTheSeashore 09:39 AM 02-19-2019
I know the daycare I use recently started using Mayday safetyfor their emergency plan. From my understanding, if there's an emergency, the daycare can press a "panic button" in the app to quickly notify parents and police. From what I saw, it's a pretty slick system and it helps ease my anxiety as a parent.

Has anyone else heard of Mayday Safety or any other emergency management tools for small businesses?
Tags:emergency plan, emergency preparedness plan
Reply Up