Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After School Program
Unregistered 11:18 AM 01-13-2020
I started an in home after school program just a week ago when kids came back from winter break. We do snack & homework and then play until pick up. I feel like with my own children I'm secure in my role as leader. They follow well and occasionally step out of line at which point I redirect and reign them back in. However, with the daycare kids I feel like they are leading and I am running to catch up the entire time. Obviously error on my part, but I'm at a loss as to how to change the dynamics. I'm noticing most parents take that approach so I'm guessing it is just what they're used to. Requests have to be repeated so many times by parents at pickup. One day I actually had kids put their coats and shoes on prior to pickup and once the kid saw mom he kicked off his shoes and ran back to the play area. How do I set the stage for good behavior while still being a pleasant presence?

With my kids if I say finish your homework I just expect that it will be done. I double check obviously, but I don't stand over them. With the daycare kids even if I'm sitting next to them I have to remind them to keep working 4-5 times in a 30 min homework period. They have to potty. Or their pencil broke. Or this books not interesting so they're choosing a new one. Or they're kicking at a friend under the table. etc.

What am I doing wrong? We're only a week in. I'd like to change things for the better quickly before bad habits become the norm.
Cat Herder 11:54 AM 01-13-2020
Have you considered having them do homework at home with their parents? That is generally the school's goal, to engage parents in their childs learning.

I usually gave them snack and let them play until pick-up. They spent all day in school, so needed some time to run and play before having to sit back down and work.
Jo123ABC 12:19 PM 01-13-2020
I like cat herders suggestion. Let it be the parents responsibility.
Unregistered 04:44 PM 01-14-2020
Ive considered that, but for some kids they only have an hour before bedtime once they get home. Most of the parents have voiced that homework is a big part of what they're looking for in an after school program. Maybe I could change the order though & do snack & free play first. Send them outside to play & run off some energy & then bring them back in to settle down & do homework later. That might work. I think I'll try it tomorrow & see how it goes. Thanks!
rosieteddy 05:05 PM 01-14-2020
Is there a table they could be at right before pick-up?If so I would have most of the homework (if not all )done shoes on and bags packed.They would be looking at books or playing a game.As each parent comes that child leaves table puts coat on and goes.No running around or back to playroom.You could do a sticker chart and reward on Fridays for good behavior.
Tags:behavior management, classroom management, parent - its a verb
Reply Up