Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Talk Me Down...
SilverSabre25 07:35 AM 02-11-2014
from dropping my school-ager rate from the usual $30/day to only $18/day.

Or talk me into it, if it's not a stupid idea.
Cat Herder 07:37 AM 02-11-2014
I am going to need the why.

Why would you willingly give up pay for the hardest age group to manage in mixed age care??
mema 07:40 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am going to need the why.

Why would you willingly give up pay for the hardest age group to manage in mixed age care??

DON'T DO IT!! They are more stressful than screaming babies
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
from dropping my school-ager rate from the usual $30/day to only $18/day.

Or talk me into it, if it's not a stupid idea.
The ONLY way it would be a good idea is if $18 is the rate they are going to pay you at drop off and then are going to pay you another $18 at pick up.

Otherwise.....

GET OFF THE LEDGE WOMAN!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!

KIDZRMYBIZ 07:48 AM 02-11-2014
Right on!!!

Don't do it! Parents don't want to pay anything for these kids cuz they think they basically take care of themselves. Well, you may not have to wipe their butts, but it's their face that's in yours...all...freakin'...day!

Remember: Every $ you try to save a daycare family is a $ you deprive yours of.
Meyou 07:56 AM 02-11-2014
Nope, nope nope! Not worth it. I charge $20/day for just afterschool for that reason.
SilverSabre25 07:57 AM 02-11-2014
1. Both SAs are firmly anchored by a younger sibling. (1.5 and newborn)
2. Both SAs are part of a family that has been here a long time.
3. Both SAs are in school full time during the year and not here at all during the school year so this would be a "summer only" sort of thing.
4. My rate is HIGH for my immediate area and I seem to be one of a very few people who charges the same for all age groups
5. I only take these two SA

and the one I am holding until last for a reason is....both families have some tough financial situations developing. Family 1, mom is getting a permanent position (Yay! No more temp worries, and she gets benefits like paid time off!) but that comes with a huge pay cut so she asked if we can work on the rate, plus with custody/etc they aren't here all the time anyway. Family 2 has been here the longest and has a sucky financial situation and I raised rates on them in the fall because they were flakey and I feel sort of guilty about it....

::duck::
Blackcat31 08:02 AM 02-11-2014
That is a lot......

of reasons why it is good for them.

What about you? What's in it for you?

Where have these kids been going other summers?

If there is only two of them, they are going to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bored. Or not like each other at all.

That's usually when they are MORE trouble than they are worth.

What's the going rate for SA care in the summer in your area in other programs?

Why such a big cut? $18 from $30 is HUGE!
Cat Herder 08:09 AM 02-11-2014
Eh, you know how I "feel".

The only two excuses I see fit for lowering rates are...

1. I want to.

2. I can afford it.

Guilt or obligation are not applicable here.
Childminder 08:14 AM 02-11-2014
Only cut the rate if you cut the hours. Is this a precedent you want to set for all others that reach that maturity?
SilverSabre25 08:14 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is a lot......

of reasons why it is good for them.

What about you? What's in it for you?

Where have these kids been going other summers?

If there is only two of them, they are going to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bored. Or not like each other at all.

That's usually when they are MORE trouble than they are worth.

What's the going rate for SA care in the summer in your area in other programs?

Why such a big cut? $18 from $30 is HUGE!
What's in it for me is that I get to keep them and the anchored sibling and that I get to not feel guilty, like I'm overcharging. And because some money is better than none.

Other summers they haven't been SA. One started kindy this past fall, the other starts kindy IN the fall and in my state they start counting as SA the summer before kindy.

They like each other a lot. Both boys, close in age, and they know each other. Plus they are both worshiped by my 2.5 yo DS and play well with him.
And both respond well to being a "Big Kid" role and helping me out with little jobs and chores and cleaning up the toys even when the younger kids won't.

And why the huge drop? Because I did math and came up with that number to assuage my guilt for family 2....then did more math and found that it happens to fit the number family 1 asked for. So it's a convenient sum.

And...I have been trying to fill a spot for more than a year with NO success. So I don't want to risk losing either family.
SilverSabre25 08:20 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Eh, you know how I "feel".

The only two excuses I see fit for lowering rates are...

1. I want to.

2. I can afford it.

Guilt or obligation are not applicable here.
Family 2 hasn't made me any money since mom went on bedrest in November and I stopped keeping the SA boy on saturdays, so the rate from SA boy AND new baby is all icing on the cake and 'extra' to me.

Family 1....it's better to meet mom halfway and take a $40/week pay cut than to lose all $280....they have a grandma who could keep the boys for free.
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 02-11-2014
What's in it for me is that I get to keep them and the anchored sibling and that I get to not feel guilty, like I'm overcharging. And because some money is better than none.
This is true.

Other summers they haven't been SA. One started kindy this past fall, the other starts kindy IN the fall and in my state they start counting as SA the summer before kindy.
I've kept a couple kids beyond Kindy. When my policy says I won't.

Both girls and both enrolled at 6 weeks.

Both were easy kids. = Easy money.

They like each other a lot. Both boys, close in age, and they know each other. Plus they are both worshiped by my 2.5 yo DS and play well with him.
And both respond well to being a "Big Kid" role and helping me out with little jobs and chores and cleaning up the toys even when the younger kids won't.
Familiarity with the environment and rules makes a BIG difference.

I can see your point here but if you do decide to do it, I would do it with the understanding that if at ANY time, it was becoming an issue, you would have to ask the family to find alternate care arrangements for the SA kids.

Plus, even the best babies, easiest toddlers and most loveable preschoolers can grow up to be horrid or tough SA'ers. BTDT.

Sometimes I prefer not to know what becomes of my sweet little snugglers.....kwim?

And why the huge drop? Because I did math and came up with that number to assuage my guilt for family 2....then did more math and found that it happens to fit the number family 1 asked for. So it's a convenient sum.
Lowering your rate by that so much though is hard to get past. I understand (without liking) but understand your reason's for wanting to work with them as far as rates go but are these families REALLY in dire financial straits?

Or are they just bad budgeters?

And...I have been trying to fill a spot for more than a year with NO success. So I don't want to risk losing either family.
Maybe fill it with them "temporarily"..... you and I both know the minute you fill the space, someone else will call. They usually do.

Ultimately only YOU know what will or won't work.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:27 AM 02-11-2014
IF your sanity can afford it, and like the SA's and don't mind having them around.

IF your wallet can't afford it otherwise, and the younger siblings' staying on hinges on this and you can't or don't want to replace them. Two measly SA fees is better than no measly SA fees and down 2 FT fees.

Then do it.

I watched two DCG sisters for free, absolutely free, for all my years of daycare. They were family friends, kids I babysat in high school, and I loved them and really enjoyed having them around. Still do. They are now 21 and 18, and they still hang out occasionally on a day off of college and work. They were such good kids, and I kept expecting other SA kids to be as great as them. I finally learned! I feel great about what I did for this family, and they will always appreciate it.
Cat Herder 08:32 AM 02-11-2014
I have been trying to fill a spot for more than a year with NO success.
I did not know this.

I have never been in your shoes.

Ignore everything I said.

I have no idea what I'd do.

I'd probably need xanax.
daycarediva 10:29 AM 02-11-2014
$20? Could you go to that? 30 to 18 seems like sooooo much to me.

I totally get all of your reasoning, and agree but what a paycut!
cheerfuldom 10:42 AM 02-11-2014
Do you provide food for these kids? You don't have to go all the way down that low just because the parents ask you too. What is the range for what other people charge school agers? I would charge that fee plus a little bit more just to make it worth your while. If that equals $18 a day, so be it.
jenn 10:44 AM 02-11-2014
I only take SA if they are an older sibling of a currently enrolled little one. I charge $30 for the little one, and $20 for the SA. I never count my SA into my weekly income, as I don't always have them. When they come, that is like "extra" money.

In my area, in can be hard to fill spots also, especially if you are picky like me LOL. So, I understand not wanting to risk losing you little ones since the families would have to find someone else for the SA. I feel like giving then a $10 discount is more than fair. It's enough that they feel like they are getting a deal, but doesn't cost me that much either.
Tags:daycare is not a charity, guilt trips, school age care
Reply Up