Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Question
maelb05 07:19 AM 12-05-2019
I have a 3 1/2 yo boy who shows very little interest in potty training yet. He will not tell me he has to go or tell me if he has wet or dirtied his diaper. He does not care if he is wet/dirty.
Mom works with him at home, but he is very disinterested there too. She has him in pullups and rewards him on the occasions that he does go on the potty, but he still just doesn't seem to care too much.
I have not started to potty train him here since he shows such little interest at home.

Would it be best to tell her to stop trying at home until he decides to start telling her/me he wants to use the bathroom? He clearly is capable of going, but chooses not to go on the potty unless asked if he wants to go.
Cat Herder 07:37 AM 12-05-2019
I would take him on the typical class schedule (handwashing, too). He would be required to be fully trained, without my taking him on schedule, to wear cloth underpants. (10 hour day)

AmyKidsCo 12:53 PM 12-05-2019
I think this is the best article about potty training: https://visiblechild.wordpress.com/2...e-simple-step/

If you can't do that, I agree with Cat Herder that the child should sit on the potty at the same scheduled times as the other children.

But I still think waiting for the child to be ready is the best strategy. Otherwise it can easily become a power struggle.
Tags:potty breaks
Reply Up