Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Care Courses?
DBug 01:25 PM 02-17-2010
Does anybody have any experience with online child care courses? I'm looking for something I can do at home, preferably geared towards in-home daycare. There are a few in my area offered by licensors, but you have to sign with them first :-p I googled it and came up with so many options, it was overwhelming! But if someone has first-hand experience, I'd love to hear your advice!
originalkat 02:01 PM 02-17-2010
Sorry D-Bug. I have not used any online courses. I did research one a long time ago...I think it was called Ashworth College (but I didnt end up using them).
tenderhearts 02:12 PM 02-17-2010
I have used Care Courses for the last 4 years, I love it, it is so much easier than going and sitting through a class. I really like it and would highly recommend it. I did it because there were more classes to choose from that pertained to something I wanted to learn about, none of the classes local had anything that I needed or was interested in.
Carole's Daycare 02:21 PM 02-17-2010
Our local resource & referral provides a quarterly listing for Eager to Learn- which are online courses through the R&R, creditable towards CDA, grant requirements etc. Care Courses are great too, especially if you are in a rural area where 'live" classes on certain subjects may be less available. The main thing is the dependability of your computer/internet. As long as thats good-
Some courses are specific in times though- with required online chat/discussion of the subject matter. I like that portion- discussion, even online helps me process information and make it my own, but you HAVE to be online at that time- just as if you were enrolled in a college class and HAVE to attend lecture in the classroom- so choose a session with times you know you can committ too. They aren't as flexible as people assume "online" classes to be.
Michael 08:36 PM 02-17-2010
We have been advertising Penn Foster for several years on Daycare.com

http://www.pennfoster.edu/urm.php?so...cro/index.html
DBug 04:42 AM 02-18-2010
Thank you for all of the ideas! The Care Courses site looks intriguing -- I like how the courses are so affordable and can be taken whenever is convenient for me. And of course, the fact that they ship to Canada helps too!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:59 AM 02-18-2010
I did care courses . =-) LOVE.
DBug 10:02 AM 02-18-2010
Has anybody done any courses on the Child Care Lounge website?
Joni 10:51 AM 02-19-2010
HI, this thread just came up on my alert, I am the owner of Child Care Lounge, let me know if you have any questions.
SimpleMom 11:12 AM 02-19-2010
I love online childcare courses! I use one through CCR&R called Eager to Learn. www.eagertolearn.org I get more out of the chat sessions than I do by going to meetings for classes. Totally worth it
Crystal 12:48 PM 02-19-2010
I take courses on-line through our local community college. You should check yours to see what they offer. You can recieve financial aid to pay for your courses, and do not have to pay it back, if you qualify. You can apply for the grants on-line: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

I have been taking courses for three years, have earned a Master Teacher Permit and will hold an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education in May.

Whatever you choose, make sure you research it first. Many of these programs offer you no more than a diploma from their program, which is useless to you if it is not recieved through an accredited program.

If you tell me where you are located, (city and state) I can help you more.
DBug 12:25 PM 02-21-2010
Well, I've ordered 3 courses through Care Courses. I'm starting them today.

Crystal: I'm in Ontario, and I can do on-site classes at a college close by, but I just don't have time for that. So far I haven't been able to find Canadian classes online. It would be my preference, since then I'd be able to use the courses towards a diploma or degree. Ultimately though, I'm just looking to further myself, and also show parents that I'm investing in the job in this way.

Joni: The pricing for Child Care Lounge courses is so different from the Care Courses -- how do your courses compare to them? Is the method much different or is it basically the same? I may just sample a few to see for myself, but any insight you could share would be great!
MarinaVanessa 10:39 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
Well, I've ordered 3 courses through Care Courses. I'm starting them today.
Let me know how it works out for you. I'm interested too. What classes did you choose and how much? Are they interesting and beneficial etc?
Joni 10:41 AM 02-22-2010
What makes Child Care Lounge classes special??

They are all developed and taught by Joni Levine who has an M.Ed in adult education and curriculum design and development.

We sought the input of other child care providers and professionals regarding the class topics and content.

They meet standards for quality online training.

They meet principles for adult learning.

They meet the quality assurance/training approval standards for many states.

We use a variety of content resources and media when developing the classes.

The worksheets are subjective questions (not pass/fail) and ask students to engage in critical thinking.

The class content focuses on real-life application.
* Students are encouraged to complete an action plan to promote transfer of learning.

Components for student interaction and support include our message board and weekly live chats.

Instructor interaction and technical support is available via email or phone at least five days a week (often seven).

We issue a hard copy of a certificate at no additional cost (if you wish) that meets the requirements of your state.

We review your worksheets promptly (less than 2 weeks without additional charge) and give you personalized feed-back.

We are accessible and easy to reach.

How we differ from Care Courses: the classes are all online, there are no books, the work required is open ended rather than tests, We give you personalized feedback. I have never taken a Care Course so I don't know about other stuff.
Tags:child care courses, education, penn foster, training
Reply Up