Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Have Some Quick Relaxation Tips?
childcaremom 03:53 AM 12-01-2015
for an 18 month old that I can do with her right before nap. I am thinking quick and easy.

Any little massage things I can do? Pressure point releases? Open to anything.

She is overtired, not napping well the past 3 weeks, and is really having a hard time settling.

Thanks!

eta: After doing some reading, she is exhibiting jerky movements (which I am relating to her attempts to keep herself awake) and I guess I am wondering if some light pressure on limbs/joints or gentle massage of limbs prior to putting her down would help to relax her.
Sugar Magnolia 10:37 AM 12-01-2015
Give the massage a whirl. I wouldn't necessarily apply any pressure anywhere. A good old fashioned back rub or patting works for me. With my own, I would rub their little tush in a circular motion, worked every time, not sure I'd do that w daycare kids.
I also use a steady gaze.....just looking at them w a pleasant look seems to make the eyes flutter shut.
Good luck. I hope you get more replies. I know how frustrating it is to get dozens of views and no replies.
Ariana 11:15 AM 12-01-2015
Does she enjoy touch? is she new? A massage may backfire if she is nervous about you touching her.
childcaremom 12:04 PM 12-01-2015
Thanks ladies. She's been here for 6 months. Never a great napper but would rest (chat quietly if she woke early). Since being sick is NOT napping. Whell 20 mins here, 10 mins there. A lot of crying (not wailing, just the persistent 'I'm tired' type of crying) and no resting.

She is way overtired. I know this is making settling down even more difficult for her. Today I brushed her limbs and put on my savasana (yoga) music for her. She only cried for 20 mins before falling asleep and it was a less intense cry but she only slept for 10 and was up.

So I really don't know. I'm emailing mom and dad tonight to see what's changed on their end b/c everything here is the same.
Baby Beluga 12:05 PM 12-01-2015
I am not sure if this would help or not:

I have a two year old who would startle himself awake and would start crying. When he would do this I would place my hand on his back (he was a tummy sleeper) with gentle pressure and say "shh." It was enough to pull him out of the startled/scared mindset and he would settle down and fall back asleep. Perhaps doing something like that before nap would help?

I would also look at her routine before nap time. Is there a lot of commotion right before nap? If so, maybe she needs a bit more time to calm down before sleeping?
Baby Beluga 12:09 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Thanks ladies. She's been here for 6 months. Never a great napper but would rest (chat quietly if she woke early). Since being sick is NOT napping. Whell 20 mins here, 10 mins there. A lot of crying (not wailing, just the persistent 'I'm tired' type of crying) and no resting.

She is way overtired. I know this is making settling down even more difficult for her. Today I brushed her limbs and put on my savasana (yoga) music for her. She only cried for 20 mins before falling asleep and it was a less intense cry but she only slept for 10 and was up.

So I really don't know. I'm emailing mom and dad tonight to see what's changed on their end b/c everything here is the same.

Another thing I do during nap is play a fan video on my tablet from youtube. We play a lot of music throughout the day (especially instrumental, oddly enough my kids enjoy instrumental music!) so I reserve the fan sound for nap time only. It serves as a signal to them that it is nap time.
Tags:napping issues, napping routine, relaxation tips, sleeping success
Reply Up