Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toys
MommyMuffin 07:32 PM 08-14-2011
Making a new dc budget and trying to decide how much money I should budget for toys.

The kids are bored of my toys and I cant seem to find good deals on craigslist and I never can get to garage sales. Toys are so expensive at the store.

How much do you budget for toys? Where do you find good prices?
GretasLittleFriends 09:15 PM 08-14-2011
I will be honest, it isn't very often that I buy new toys, so as far as budgeting I don't have a clue. I'd say, I set $20 aside for new toys during garage sale season (not daycare season like previously posted. ).

One question I have for you, since you said the kids are bored with your toys, do you rotate your toy selection around? (Put "old" toys away and bring out toys they haven't seen in a while...) If I didn't do that they would get bored in a hurry. I rotate my collection out about every 2 to 3 months, depending on how things are going. They are hitting the point where I think a rotation will be needed. I was trying to hold off until school starts, but not sure that I'll wait that long.
Abigail 09:56 PM 08-14-2011
I've been collecting toys for a long time but have the time to get to rummages and thrift shops. I refuse to buy toys and retail value. I will buy from the store when they are seasonal and on clearance. Right now is the perfect time to stock up on school supplies and summer activities. (Unless you live in the far south, not sure if they clearance summer toys since you can use them year-round).

How many toys do you have? Do you let the kids play all day or do they have limited times to play with these items? Have you ever re-arranged or tried to get them to play with the toys in a new way....like put the cars by the blocks to use together?

I agree rotating toys is great. Really our current daycare doesn't have many toys and doesn't really get new toys except a few new books every two months. We ended up putting away some of the toys and took them out a month later and everyone loved them.
MommyMuffin 07:43 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I will be honest, it isn't very often that I buy new toys, so as far as budgeting I don't have a clue. I'd say, I set $20 aside for new toys during garage sale season (not daycare season like previously posted. ).

One question I have for you, since you said the kids are bored with your toys, do you rotate your toy selection around? (Put "old" toys away and bring out toys they haven't seen in a while...) If I didn't do that they would get bored in a hurry. I rotate my collection out about every 2 to 3 months, depending on how things are going. They are hitting the point where I think a rotation will be needed. I was trying to hold off until school starts, but not sure that I'll wait that long.
I have a decent amount of toys but not enough to rotate. My living room has toys against the walls that they play with. When I have more toys I will rotate though because everyone has said what a good idea it is.
morgan24 08:08 AM 08-15-2011
I also rotate my toys to keep it fresh. When I buy something I try to buy toys that are everlasting like Legos, waffle blocks, I add to the little people that I have, I add new accessories to the babies. I don't set aside a certain amount for a budget. I also have friends and family who have young kids who let me know when they are getting ready to get rid of things, they give me first chance at the toys.
SilverSabre25 09:12 AM 08-15-2011
try once upon a child if you have them near you. great deals on great stuff!
cheerfuldom 03:43 PM 08-15-2011
resale shops, thrift shops, garage sales, craigslist. you have to put in some effort in order to not pay full price. you also may need to rethink what toys you have. I only get toys that the kids can actually play with, nothing that entertains. That means very few electronic toys. Go for the classics! Blocks, baby dolls, dress up, books, play forts or houses, sandbox, swing set, legos, balls, etc, etc.
Tags:budget - toys, toys - costs
Reply Up