Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cube Storage Organizer?
KEG123 02:13 PM 08-08-2011
Just curious if anyone uses this type of storage for toys? Right now, we actually keep the toys in the cubes, but minus the actually "dresser" for it. So was wanting to get one of these dressers. It's on sale right now, which is awesome.

So anyways, just wanting some feedback. Do you use these? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!!!

http://www.staples.com/ClosetMaid-Cu...duct-nr_923338

Meeko 02:30 PM 08-08-2011
My teen daughters use these in their bedrooms with co-ordinating colored totes and they LOVE them.

. I had some for my day care kids, but ended up getting rid of the fabric totes. They got dirty and are difficult to clean and got "fuzzy" pile on them and eventually split at the seams. I prefer plastic that can be washed for the younger crowd.
Crazy8 02:39 PM 08-08-2011
I have used them for years!!! If you look up some recent posts of mine, I just redid my playroom and went from using all those cubical things in natural to using them in a dark wood (called espresso, its almost black). Mine were all in good shape after about 5 years - just replaced them because I wanted to change the look of the room.
I do replace the canvas bins at least once a year - they are not a huge investment at about $5 each. I haven't had any trouble with them ripping or anything but the kids tend to "crush" the cardboard that is inside of them so they get out of shape looking.
While I would have liked to gone with something stronger from Ikea I just can't justify the cost (double what these cost) when these really hold up just fine.
rjskids 02:40 PM 08-08-2011
I've always used them in my children's bedrooms. My daughters are about 5 years old and it still looks good. But the one I bought for daycare the kids are already demolishing the baskets for it. I wish they weren't so expensive.
godiva83 02:54 PM 08-08-2011
I use the ones from IKEA and so far I love them. I use the fabric totes and scotch guarded them, the wipe down nicely also, I took pictures of the toys, laminated and velcro them on so it makes for easy sorting
TBird 02:59 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
I use the ones from IKEA and so far I love them. I use the fabric totes and scotch guarded them, the wipe down nicely also, I took pictures of the toys, laminated and velcro them on so it makes for easy sorting
I use IKEA cubbies too but I use the hard laminate bins (blue & red). LOVE THEM!!!
PitterPatter 03:20 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Just curious if anyone uses this type of storage for toys? Right now, we actually keep the toys in the cubes, but minus the actually "dresser" for it. So was wanting to get one of these dressers. It's on sale right now, which is awesome.

So anyways, just wanting some feedback. Do you use these? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!!!

http://www.staples.com/ClosetMaid-Cu...duct-nr_923338
That's funny I just bought those yesterday and set them up last night. I love them! They make the same stuff look neater, much more organized. cleaner lines etc. I have a few shelving units with plastic snap lids for crafts and manipulatives and the fabric cubes I have sets of things like potatoe headsin 1, dolls in 1, cars in another, music etc..
sharlan 03:20 PM 08-08-2011
Aren't the IKEA cubbies smaller?
kendallina 04:30 PM 08-08-2011
I use the ones from target in both my daughter's bedroom and in the playroom. Obviously, there are some limitations in the size of materials that you can put on the shelf, but I have rarely felt limited by this. Overall, I love them!
MG&Lsmom 05:02 PM 08-08-2011
I use them as the storage cubbies for the kids stuff. I love them. They hang their coats up, but their backpacks & shoes go in the cubbies. My kids have fabric buckets because they have all their shoes for a season stored in the same place. I think you can get plastic and wire baskets at Target for them now too.
WImom 05:14 PM 08-08-2011
I use them for the kids extra clothes/diapers. They work great.
TBird 07:08 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Aren't the IKEA cubbies smaller?
The ones I have from IKEA are different from the ones shown in this thread. It's the natural wood looking laminate unit...very heavy...I'm sure if I didn't use it for daycare it would belong in a living room. It's the actual cubbie drawers that make it look daycare related....they are HUGE hard containers that you can get in red & blue. They would have that NYC loft apartment look if I didn't add the kids' names in a kiddie type font.
momofboys 07:23 PM 08-08-2011
I don't have the square that holds the baskets BUT I bought several of the cloth-type storage baskets at dollar tree today & they seem to be very good quality. My one son has a nice set of shelves in his room so I plan to use them on that - but I definitely wouldn't pay $4-5 a basket like I have seen in other stores.
Tags:ikea, organize, storage, storage organizer - cube
Reply Up