Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Summer Off??
Unregistered 07:50 AM 04-13-2014
I logged out..
does it bother anyone else that a DCP has the summer off (teacher) the other spouse works but they still want to bring dck to you??? because watching your child interferes with your gaming habits or becasue you are just to lazy to watch your own child..
cheerfuldom 08:36 AM 04-13-2014
It is something I dont understand. However, if a parent is paying me for childcare and I accept them for care over the summer, it will make my job easier if I do not waste time worrying about what mom is or is not doing with their time. Either you accept them into care or you don't, your choice.
KidGrind 08:54 AM 04-13-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I logged out..
does it bother anyone else that a DCP has the summer off (teacher) the other spouse works but they still want to bring dck to you??? because watching your child interferes with your gaming habits or becasue you are just to lazy to watch your own child..
Nope. I think it’s unfortunate for the child. I think if the child communicated to me that he/she was sad because they want to spend more time with their parent then I’d be bothered due to the child’s sadness.
Cradle2crayons 08:59 AM 04-13-2014
It's one huge reason I only provide contracted care for working parents only. If they want "me" time they pay separate and additional for that at a premium.
playdate4 09:00 AM 04-13-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
It's one huge reason I only provide contracted care for working parents only. If they want "me" time they pay separate and additional for that at a premium.
smart imo!
Crazy8 11:13 AM 04-13-2014
nope, doesn't bother me a bit. I actually encourage my teachers to bring their child 2 days a week in the summer, makes Sept. much easier and I totally get a parent wanting to have some time to do things that are easier done without an infant/toddler with them.

Now the ones who still come full time, I do feel sorry for the child, but as long as they are paying me and there are no issues I do not believe it is my place to determine how they parent.
UnregisteredMe 12:05 PM 04-13-2014
I actually let people go down to half of their regular schedule for the summer. It keeps teachers or students kids used to being here, gives parents that "me" time, and I don't mind the income drop because some of my bills are lower then. Most of all, it makes my days easier for a while.
They pay me half of their fee, but they have to choose regular days for the summer and stick to them, unless they check with me first. That way if someone else wants the other days, I can choose to take them.
Blackcat31 02:54 PM 04-13-2014
I logged out..
No. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I am a business owner.

My business goal is to make an income for the services I offer.

When parents contract with me to purchase my services, there are no limitations as to under what circumstances they can use those services.

Personally, I think it's kind of hypocritical to be a daycare provider that offers child care services and then doesn't like why a parent uses those services.

I don't mean that rudely but really, you are a business owner and offer a service. If you judge your parents because of why they use your services, that just seems wrong.

I admit I too, have wondered why a parent dropped their child off verses keeping them at home on a certain day, but usually it's after that parent complained they never see their child or because I am just needing a break from a certain kid but I've learned over the years that I really have no right to judge a parent for using the very services that I offer.

If we don't think parents should leave their children, we shouldn't be in the business of offering care during times in which parents leave their children...kwim?
Blackcat31 02:58 PM 04-13-2014
....or give them summers for free and hold their space for the fall when they return.
debbiedoeszip 03:04 PM 04-13-2014
<<<Personally, I think it's kind of hypocritical to be a daycare provider that offers child care services and then doesn't like why a parent uses those services.

I don't mean that rudely but really, you are a business owner and offer a service. If you judge your parents because of why they use your services, that just seems wrong.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's like being a restaurant owner and thinking that the customers who come in every day are lazy for not cooking at home. I don't care why they don't cook at home, so long as they choose my restaurant, kwim.
Kabob 03:09 PM 04-13-2014
It only bothers me when a parent tries to send their sick kid to daycare because they claim they don't have any paid time off left but then use their paid time off at random the next day because they need "me time" and send their kid to daycare.

Otherwise I don't ask. I charge for extra time over 9 hours so if they want to use it they gotta pay for it...and no more than 10 hours. I have one family that works overnights so technically they aren't working when their child is here but they need that time to sleep...so there are plenty of reasons for sending a child to daycare when a parent is not working...it's up to you how you want to structure your business...
Cradle2crayons 03:20 PM 04-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I am a business owner.

When parents contract with me to purchase my services, there are no limitations as to under what circumstances they can use those services.

Personally, I think it's kind of hypocritical to be a daycare provider that offers child care services and then doesn't like why a parent uses those services.

I don't mean that rudely but really, you are a business owner and offer a service. If you judge your parents because of why they use your services, that just seems wrong.

I admit I too, have wondered why a parent dropped their child off verses keeping them at home on a certain day, but usually it's after that parent complained they never see their child or because I am just needing a break from a certain kid but I've learned over the years that I really have no right to judge a parent for using the very services that I offer.

If we don't think parents should leave their children, we shouldn't be in the business of offering care during times in which parents leave their children...kwim?
Totally agree. If I offered 7am to 6pm services it's just that... From x to y paid. It wouldn't be my business if they got off work at three and decided to go get a mani pedi. They've paid until 6:00 pm. Who cares why.

The reason I chose to do contracted care is because I offer my services during times and days where parents can't find care elsewhere. Very few places offer care for weird or crazy hours and days. Because i offer untraditional care, it does sometimes include weekends and late nights. Because of this, I don't offer from x to y care. I offer care according to their schedules.

I'm trying to move my care hours more towards traditional and now I have two kids during Monday through Friday traditional. My other two kids are contracted care only according to moms schedule.
Unregistered 04:11 PM 04-13-2014
these are the same people that complain they never see their kid or it cost to much etc..
taylorw1210 04:47 PM 04-13-2014
It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I provide a childcare service and as long as they are following my policies and I am getting paid, who am I to put stipulations on how they spend their time when they are using their paid-for child care? I would feel too much like a control freak if I were busy worrying about keeping track of which parent was working and which was not while their child was in my care.
sahm1225 05:09 PM 04-13-2014
I have 3 families that have a parent that is a teacher. During the summer, they switch to part time and I add on school aged kids. I actually tell the parents that they SHOULD bring the kids to daycare, since they are paying for it anyway. I tell them to go grocery shopping, get a mani/pedi, watch a movie, read a book, and just enjoy themselves.

they are paying me for the service, why not use it? But I have to say, they are wonderful families- during the summer they pick up early, usually only use 1-2 days when paying for more, keep them home to do family things, etc.
e.j. 06:14 PM 04-13-2014

I am a business owner.

Well said.
Mister Sir Husband 08:29 PM 04-13-2014
I'm with blackcat.. I agree it's a shame that parents do ditch the kids with us when they couid keep them, but I will take the money..
TwinKristi 09:31 PM 04-13-2014
Yeah I don't have teachers but I do have a mom who's schedule is different than mine and Nana watches him after I do so she can work evenings. Sometimes she drops him off like 3hrs before she has to leave for work but it's fine with me.
Cat Herder 04:46 AM 04-14-2014
I expect parents to keep kids in care during the summer.

It keeps the kids in a routine, allows parents time to nurture marriages, enables them to pursue part time employment and keeps me in business.

**I could not provide very well for my own kids if every parent who had summers off left me hanging.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 04-14-2014
these are the same people that complain they never see their kid or it cost to much etc..
My standard reply to that kind of "complaint" is:

"Yes, we all have choices to make in life."

I leave it at that.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people complain about something they have the power to change. If parents feel they never get to spend time with their child or that the costs of child care are too much, they DO have choices.
TaylorTots 06:46 AM 04-14-2014
One of my biggest pet peeves is when people complain about something they have the power to change. If parents feel they never get to spend time with their child or that the costs of child care are too much, they DO have choices.
Agree!
Oss_cc 01:09 PM 04-14-2014
My standard reply to that kind of "complaint" is:

"Yes, we all have choices to make in life."

I leave it at that.

The DCG I termed had a mom like this. Always complained that she never sees her DD enough, yet DCG was here 30-40 hrs/wk when mom only really needed 4-10 hrs/wk for school. Same mom also constantly complained about never having "me time".
SquirrellyMama 04:17 PM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by :
I logged out..
What do you charge through the summer? If it is full time then I wouldn't be surprised they bring their child.

If you want them to bring the dck less in the summer then make a schedule change. You can tell them they have to go to part time, but then charge them part time.

Kelly
playdate4 07:40 PM 04-14-2014
This is my post I changed my user name... I charge per day they don't pay when they are not here I did talk to DCM and we will do 2 to 3 days a week but on my terms so I feel much better about the situation ...
jenn 08:45 AM 04-15-2014
I think it's sad when the parents are home and the kid is with me, but I don't mind it. I get paid the same whether the parent is at work or at home.
I allow my teacher/summer off parents to move to part time (3 days) over the summer. They pay for the 3 days per week to hold their spot, whether the child attends or not.
I encourage them to come at least a few days per week, just to keep them in the routine of daycare. Also, I was a teacher in the past and know that the "3 months off" are not quite what they seem. There are trainings to go to in the summer, plans to be made for the next year,...so the teacher/parent may really be working while the child is with you even though they aren't technically at work.
hwichlaz 09:16 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
It only bothers me when a parent tries to send their sick kid to daycare because they claim they don't have any paid time off left but then use their paid time off at random the next day because they need "me time" and send their kid to daycare.

Otherwise I don't ask. I charge for extra time over 9 hours so if they want to use it they gotta pay for it...and no more than 10 hours. I have one family that works overnights so technically they aren't working when their child is here but they need that time to sleep...so there are plenty of reasons for sending a child to daycare when a parent is not working...it's up to you how you want to structure your business...

Yeah that!
SquirrellyMama 10:18 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by playdate4:
This is my post I changed my user name... I charge per day they don't pay when they are not here I did talk to DCM and we will do 2 to 3 days a week but on my terms so I feel much better about the situation ...
Glad you got this worked out to your liking.

Kelly
Tags:parental life choices, summer, summer - closed
Reply Up