Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time and Paid Holidays?
mim 06:53 AM 05-05-2015
I remember some posts on how some providers charge paid holidays for all part timers too. Something like even if the holiday is on a day they aren't sccheduled, the holiday counts as one of their days of attendance. I have that in my handbook and I undestand it, but the other posts explained it better. My part time dcf nor my volunteer helper understand so I need help explaining it better please. They keep saying that ft has to pay because it is a day they are scheduled and that the part timer is getting jipped a day. It's memeorial day and the family is scheduled tues, wed, fri every week so why should they have to pay the 3 day rate but can only come 2 days. Also how do I ask them which day will they use. Oh and I'm closed that Tuesday unpaid also. So they would actually pay 2 days and only be able to attend one day.
Sorry. Lots of info.

Also how do others charge for holidays for pt families.
Thanks
Thriftylady 07:01 AM 05-05-2015
Honestly I wouldn't charge my part time families a holiday unless they were scheduled on that day. I would feel like I was doing them wrong myself. But that's just me.
Jujube835 07:21 AM 05-05-2015
I wouldn't charge a part timer for a day they wouldn't normally attend.

Normally they pay for 3 days but on a holiday week they pay for their normal 3 days PLUS a day that they aren't contracted for?
mim 09:15 AM 05-05-2015
Originally Posted by BakerMomma:
I wouldn't charge a part timer for a day they wouldn't normally attend.

Normally they pay for 3 days but on a holiday week they pay for their normal 3 days PLUS a day that they aren't contracted for?
I think what was on the other thread, which I can't find is that they would still only pay the 3days but could only attend 2 of their normal days as the holiday would count as a day of attendance to make it fair for everyone. Or Something like that. Maybe I really don't get it either
I do totally get swat you and Thrifty are saying too. That is kind of where I am at. I don't know????
nanglgrl 11:00 AM 05-05-2015
I don't charge because my idea is a need/want that extra day of work...wether all of the children are scheduled to be here that day or not doesn't concern me, I'm not trying to get time off from one child in particular (although sometimes that is nice lol) but time off from my job. At the end of the week I just want to come out whole meaning I made as much as I would any other week and not more than I normally do. I used to charge part timers for holidays even if they weren't scheduled so let's say they are scheduled Tuesday's and Thursdays but my holiday is on a Monday they would actually pay the Tuesday/Thursday rate and bring their child plus the holiday pay. I also don't let anyone change days however so they are required to keep their schedule the same...no changing to needing tueday when that's not your normal day just because I have a holiday on your normal day.
daycarediva 11:24 AM 05-05-2015
I charge whoever is scheduled to attend that day for the holiday. For Memorial day, 6 of my clients are being charged even though I have 7 (pt dcg is not scheduled that day).

I do not allow switching days for PT, so if I was closed/paid day off on a Monday, and a client was contracted for M/W/F, they would pay for their regular weekly rate and attend W/F that week. IF I had the space available to offer additional days, it is billed IN ADDITION to my PTO.
Second Home 11:32 AM 05-05-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Honestly I wouldn't charge my part time families a holiday unless they were scheduled on that day. I would feel like I was doing them wrong myself. But that's just me.
I agree .
I only charge part time families if the holiday falls on or is celebrated on a normally scheduled day of care .
mim 11:45 AM 05-05-2015
Thank you all. I will change my wording so they just can't switch days to avoid paying if they are normally scheduled. I appreciate all your input.
jenboo 12:42 PM 05-05-2015
Originally Posted by mim:
Thank you all. I will change my wording so they just can't switch days to avoid paying if they are normally scheduled. I appreciate all your input.
That's how I do it. I also allow them to add days on holiday weeks if I have the space but they still have to pay for that new day.

Ex. Dcg is scheduled m-th. I'm closed Monday. If I have space, they can come Friday but must pay for all 5 days.
Blackcat31 12:51 PM 05-05-2015
I remember some posts on how some providers charge paid holidays for all part timers too. Something like even if the holiday is on a day they aren't sccheduled, the holiday counts as one of their days of attendance. I have that in my handbook and I undestand it, but the other posts explained it better. My part time dcf nor my volunteer helper understand so I need help explaining it better please. They keep saying that ft has to pay because it is a day they are scheduled and that the part timer is getting jipped a day. It's memeorial day and the family is scheduled tues, wed, fri every week so why should they have to pay the 3 day rate but can only come 2 days. Also how do I ask them which day will they use. Oh and I'm closed that Tuesday unpaid also. So they would actually pay 2 days and only be able to attend one day.
Sorry. Lots of info.

Thanks
Years ago I used to charge ALL families the holiday days.

This is how it was worded in my handbook:

"ALL families are required to pay for holiday days when the child care is closed. Families may not schedule around holidays to avoid being charged. For example, if you are scheduled to attend 3 days per week, the holiday will be counted as one of your days leaving you 2 days of attendance to use.

The only exception to this is families who attend 2 or less days per week. Those families must pay for their regular days in addition to the holiday day"

Hope that helps.
mim 12:58 PM 05-05-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Years ago I used to charge ALL families the holiday days.

This is how it was worded in my handbook:

"ALL families are required to pay for holiday days when the child care is closed. Families may not schedule around holidays to avoid being charged. For example, if you are scheduled to attend 3 days per week, the holiday will be counted as one of your days leaving you 2 days of attendance to use.

The only exception to this is families who attend 2 or less days per week. Those families must pay for their regular days in addition to the holiday day"

Hope that helps.
thank you
Unregistered 01:33 PM 05-05-2015
I do not charge for any days closed any more ...stats, holidays I take or sick days
I do not do a monthly rate any more I do just a daily rate, full time or part time
this way it does for me balence out and is worth my while
it also help families feel I am giving them a break and makes it easier for me to ask for days off ...Easter Weekend I took both Friday and Monday off with no pay ..still had a 20 day working month
I in Canada and charge 40 a day with food included
Rachel 12:02 AM 05-06-2015
I charge one flat fee every month. I don't take part time, but here the normal is part time loses out if the day is a holiday, and doesn't if the day isn't. The only exception (by someone being nice) is sometimes when you have all the holidays fall out on one day together. For example in September all the Jewish holidays can fall out on Wednesday / Thursday. So a full time kid would lose 2/5 days, but a kid who acme Wednesday / Thursday would lose all of their days. When I sent out my kids twice a week and it happened the lady was nice and let me bring them on a day which was not their "normal" day because it really wasn't fair for me to lose a month and other parents to lose only 5/6 days.
rosieteddy 05:10 AM 05-06-2015
I always charge a higher daily rate for part time.If their regular day was on Holiday they paid .I took into consideration that if they chose no mondays the reasoning was to avoid paying for holidays thats why I charged the higher fee for part time.
Unregistered 01:21 PM 12-01-2015
Child care providers doing so on a part time basis, please explain why you charge when a holiday falls on a day of the week that coincides with a part time child. Is it common practice for part-time workers to be paid holiday pay if they are not working? I understand a full-time child, but not part time. Thanks.
nannyde 01:39 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Child care providers doing so on a part time basis, please explain why you charge when a holiday falls on a day of the week that coincides with a part time child. Is it common practice for part-time workers to be paid holiday pay if they are not working? I understand a full-time child, but not part time. Thanks.
No difference between full and part time. A slot is a slot. I accrue vacation at 1.5 days per month for full time and 1 day per month for three days a week part time. Each slot pays for vacation and holiday time at that rate. If the client terminates care they are required to pay for any unused accrued time off for their child's slot.

Remember the provider didn't start her job when you started using services. The financial requirements to obtain a slot in the business was there before you needed daycare. It has nothing to do with your situation or your belief in what should and shouldn't be paid. You either agree to the financial terms or you move on down the road. It's never personal to you. It's just business.
midaycare 01:42 PM 12-01-2015
Well I work every day. If the part time child comes to my program, they may only come 2 or 3 days a week, but I come every day. I have so many slots open every day (in my case, 6). If your day falls on a scheduled holiday pay day, you pay. It's in my contract. If you don't like it, you don't have to come to my daycare.

In my area, people who want part time have a hard time finding care. I offer a service by providing it to them.

I also offer all my clients as many "free" days as they come per week to use as they want. Sickness, vacation, holidays. Whatever. But I'm the only one here in town who does. And I also have more paid holidays tha ln 2-3.
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 12-01-2015
Are you asking providers that work on a part time basis or are you asking about making families that attend part time?

Either way, the key is to find a provider that has policies that work for you and your budget.
Leigh 03:32 PM 12-01-2015
Sorry. Lots of info.

Thanks
I charge a flat-rate for full time and a flat rate for part-time. That eliminates the "do I have to pay?" discussion. My part-time kids are 0-20 hours and pay 2/3 of my full-time flat rate. As a previous poster mentioned, a slot is a slot. I only take part-time kids that I WANT here enough to not charge them full rate (this almost always means good hours that work well for me). I am not full, and don't intend to be any time soon, so I do allow 2 part time kids. When I am full, part-time kids pay my full rate each week.
Tags:paid holidays, part time, part time care
Reply Up