Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Professional Wording for Tax Information Letter?
finsup 09:46 AM 12-19-2015
Professional wording help please! Basically I'm sending out my tax info this week. Each family gets whatever form it is (have it, just don't remember the number) with my EIN and amount they paid me etc. I know I don't have to do this but it is helpful to them and takes me all of 5 minutes to fill out.
This year though...I have a family that I termed and it did not end well. I know the person they are using for care is not paying taxes. She isn't operating illegally in the sense of too many kids but I do know she doesn't, and doesn't plan to, claim the income. I need a letter that states very clearly (think 5th grade level) that they cannot claim the entire amount they paid in Childcare under my EIN. That they need to obtain her information for the rest of it. I have my receipts and records to back everything up (as do they, if they kept their copies) so if it comes down to having to "prove" anything, I'm fine. But I really would rather avoid that. I'm not sure if they would try to do it knowing that its wrong (wouldn't surprise me) or if they are just ignorant and think they can claim all of the income under one number without realizing its not legal (this wouldn't surprise me either). Suggestions?
spedmommy4 12:34 PM 12-19-2015
Maybe a note that says something like, per IRS rules, please remember to claim the money you have paid to each childcare provider separately? Tax returns allow you to list them out.
Baby Beluga 12:41 PM 12-19-2015
I think if they claimed too much they would be the ones who would be audited and have to prove what they paid before you would be audited. But I could be wrong on that.

I would probably just write something like this:

Dear EX DCP,

Attached you will find a completed W-10 for the 2015 childcare tuition that was paid to finsup daycare between the dates of January 1, 2015 to March 23, 2015. Your last payment to finsup daycare was made on March 15, 2015.

Thank you,
EX Provider
Controlled Chaos 11:13 PM 12-19-2015
I would include the amount they paid you on the letter with the EIN. That was it is laid out for them.

I once accidentally didn't put enough $ under how much a family paid me and the IRS did in fact come after me for it when the DCF put a higher amount. I was in the wrong and happily paid the extra taxes and promptly hired an accountant lol. Hope they stick with what they paid you
finsup 08:23 AM 12-20-2015
Thanks everyone! I am really praying for no problems. I don't want to go through the hassle of being audited if they try and claim all their Childcare under mine because someone else isn't doing things legally. And I'm having my husband (who is awesome with math) triple check my numbers lol. I am awful at math and if I could afford to hire a professional accountant I so would be doing it. Thankfully my husband does pretty well despite it not being his job.
Thriftylady 08:44 AM 12-20-2015
I am having everyone sign their statement so I have proof they agreed with the number. Those who are no longer with me, I am going to mail the statement with no EIN with a SASE for them to sign and mail it back. When I get it back I will put my EIN on it and photocopy and send them a copy.
284878 05:29 PM 12-20-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am having everyone sign their statement so I have proof they agreed with the number. Those who are no longer with me, I am going to mail the statement with no EIN with a SASE for them to sign and mail it back. When I get it back I will put my EIN on it and photocopy and send them a copy.
Are you sending a letter with it to explain?
Thriftylady 07:07 PM 12-20-2015
Yes something short and sweet.

"Please check your records and make sure you agree with the amount you have paid me for the year. If you agree with my number, please sign and return this and I will return to you a copy with my EIN for your taxes.
Second Home 05:44 AM 12-21-2015
I have everyone sign the tax statement with the amount paid to me . I do not mail out statements or amounts if a past client needs one then they must come back to me and sign the form .
Thriftylady 06:11 AM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I have everyone sign the tax statement with the amount paid to me . I do not mail out statements or amounts if a past client needs one then they must come back to me and sign the form .
That would probably make my life easier. I may do that with two of my families. One though I am on good terms with and they live in a town 10 miles away so I may do the mail thing for them.
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 12-21-2015

I issue their tax statement on their last day of care (provided they gave proper notice).

If they leave with no notice, then they must come to me for their tax info.
Second Home 06:23 AM 12-21-2015
Yes , I have also given the statement to parents who are moving far and would have a hard time coming all the way back on the last day of care .

I just like to be able to have the statement signed in front of me and not having to worry about it getting lost in the mail .
Thriftylady 09:54 AM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I issue their tax statement on their last day of care (provided they gave proper notice).

If they leave with no notice, then they must come to me for their tax info.
See my one that left on good terms left me with no notice. But I guess I was okay with that because he was very part time. They are the ones I am worried about. The other two are seriously going to have to come ask as I don't care to bother with them at all.
Unregistered 08:33 AM 12-24-2015
What form do you provide to parents that gives an amount paid? I use a w-10, but those forms have no where to write an amount. I like the idea of parents having to sign a form with an amount, can someone share what they use?
Thanks!
Josiegirl 03:43 AM 12-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What form do you provide to parents that gives an amount paid? I use a w-10, but those forms have no where to write an amount. I like the idea of parents having to sign a form with an amount, can someone share what they use?
Thanks!
I'm so glad you asked because I was thinking the exact same thing.
Unregistered 08:26 AM 12-26-2015
Thanks!
I just write the total at the top of tne W-10 and make two copies. I have parents sign and date each copy. I do tne same. One copy goes to tne parent and one goes in my files.
Thriftylady 10:38 AM 12-26-2015
I just write the total at the top of tne W-10 and make two copies. I have parents sign and date each copy. I do tne same. One copy goes to tne parent and one goes in my files.
I just make a "tax receipt". I have never had a parent ask for or bring me a W10. In fact back when I first did daycare, I had never heard of that form and used to give my SS#!
Crazy8 06:18 PM 12-29-2015
same here.
Tags:irs, notice
Reply Up