Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Have Cameras?
blueskiesbutterflies 08:45 AM 01-22-2015
In my last daycare I had bought a security camera system and would tape the daycare from open to close, during interviews, and outside the door and play ground at all times. I did this for protection and did cost a pretty penny...

After 6 years I have reopened my daycare (lost old one due to a divorce and having to sell the house). Start up cost is really expensive and I bought the basics first. However, last week I had a dcg have a seizure and let me tell you it scared the living daylight out of me! Honestly, she looked dead!!! The child was sitting down (Thank God) and it was circle time and as I am reading our story at story time I looked up at her and saw her fall backwards, try to get up and fell again. Her eyes was glassy and open and she was unresponsive. I checked breathing annd pulse and called 911. Apprantly, it was a common thing and not harmful! Well, it scared me to death!!!

Anyways, after this I was thinking that any parent could come back and say that I did something to cause it. So, I was thinking maybe I should get a security system in my daycare room and tape the day. If any question arrises I would have proof.

Am I going overboard or do you all agree? Anyone have a security system?
daycarediva 09:35 AM 01-22-2015
I do not, but it's an investment I plan to make in the near future.
permanentvacation 10:14 AM 01-22-2015
I have wanted to have security cameras for years but can't afford them. I want them for the same reasons you are talking about; proof of what happened if someone gets hurt or has a medical emergency.
Heidi 10:22 AM 01-22-2015
If I had a separate daycare area I might consider it, but mine is a shared space. I also have children who sleep in my bedroom. I would not feel comfortable knowing that if we forgot to turn the cameras off, there could be a whole other kind of video made!
Ariana 02:13 PM 01-22-2015
I would never have one personally. I think it gives parents way too much power over things that are going on. My thought is that you need to TRUST me with your child. If you don't trust me and I feel that you would sue me then we are not doing business together. If a DCG seizuring is causing you to panic and think you might be sued then perhaps you should think about terming.
midaycare 02:36 PM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
If I had a separate daycare area I might consider it, but mine is a shared space. I also have children who sleep in my bedroom. I would not feel comfortable knowing that if we forgot to turn the cameras off, there could be a whole other kind of video made!
Hahahahaha!
midaycare 02:37 PM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would never have one personally. I think it gives parents way too much power over things that are going on. My thought is that you need to TRUST me with your child. If you don't trust me and I feel that you would sue me then we are not doing business together. If a DCG seizuring is causing you to panic and think you might be sued then perhaps you should think about terming.
I've been thinking about doing it, but not telling the parents.
Febby 07:02 PM 01-22-2015
My center has them. We don't need to pull footage very often, but sometimes we do and they can be useful.

A couple months ago, we got a new 2 year old girl who did not listen and was kind of clumsy. She ended up getting several minor bruises and scrapes/scratches during her first month. One day during that period, I was in her class late in the day and she walked right into a table. No one pushed her. She wasn't running. She just walked into it. Ended up smacking her head on a chair (which bruised) and biting her lip when she fell down.

When mom came to pick her up, I gave her the accident report and told her what happened. Mom didn't believe me and accused me of not watching her kid and claimed that the other children were beating her up. Of course, the assistant director and I tried to reassure her that we always maintain supervision and that she really did walk into a table. Mom freaked out and called the director with her claims and told her that she was going to call licensing on us. The director came in and showed her the footage of her daughter walking into the table. Mom apologized and came in the next morning with apology cards and gift baskets for us.
originalkat 06:07 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I've been thinking about doing it, but not telling the parents.
Exactly, they would not be allowed to view any footage, but it would only be if there was an accident, medical emergency, or accusation of some sort.
BabyMonkeys 09:59 AM 01-23-2015
I have a camera in the living room, which is where the babies play for the most part. The parents can log in and see what the babies are up to. I only have 3 families, and they are all great. They are 13m and they are at an age that it's actually fun to watch them play. If they are doing something particularly cute I will text the parents to go and check out the camera. They love it. Since it is limited to only one room, I don't feel as we are constantly being watched. It would never work if I had parents that I wasn't 100% comfortable with though.
dan18ny 04:52 PM 03-12-2015
My Wife and I plan on installing cameras once we have the daycare running. Like others have said before, I would only allow parents to watch footage if they had a particular complaint. I wouldn't allow them to watch online or just ask for random footage of their kid. Obviously this is because of privacy issues for the other kids. We are even thinking of having some kind of form for them to sign before they bring their kids into the daycare.

Personally if I was parent, I would love the idea of a camera in place to make sure my child was safe and to make sure the daycare provider was on their toes. We would also sleep well at night knowing WE can have our butts covered in case anyone would accuse us of anything.
daycare 04:56 PM 03-12-2015
just a word of caution, you should also check with your state laws about what you need to do to obtain them in your child care. In CA where i live, we have to inform them of our cameras and inform them if there will be audio because everyone who comes within range of a camera parent or child or staff will be recorded.
dan18ny 05:04 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
just a word of caution, you should also check with your state laws about what you need to do to obtain them in your child care. In CA where i live, we have to inform them of our cameras and inform them if there will be audio because everyone who comes within range of a camera parent or child or staff will be recorded.
We spoke to the person at one of the workshops and you can install them without permission but you have to let them know. As for audio, it is straight up illegal to install a camera with audio. When I bought my camera the guy on the phone said he had to disable the audio recording since it's illegal. That's why when you see crimes caught on camera you never hear any sound.
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by dan18ny:
We spoke to the person at one of the workshops and you can install them without permission but you have to let them know. As for audio, it is straight up illegal to install a camera with audio. When I bought my camera the guy on the phone said he had to disable the audio recording since it's illegal. That's why when you see crimes caught on camera you never hear any sound.
Check your state statues as only 12 states do not permit audio. Otherwise only one party needs to be aware (consent) to the recording.

You may record, film, broadcast or amplify any conversation if all parties to the conversation consent. It is always legal to record or film a face-to-face interview when your recorder or camera is in plain view. In these instances, the consent of all parties is presumed.

Of the 50 states, 38, as well as the District of Columbia, allow you to record a conversation to which you are a party without informing the other parties you are doing so.

Federal wiretap statutes also permit this so-called one-party-consent recording of telephone conversations in most circumstances. Twelve states forbid the recording of private conversations without the consent of all parties.

Those states are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

See more at: http://www.rcfp.org/first-amendment-....X88yZW91.dpuf
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 03-13-2015
This site has state by state info about one party consent, two party consent and covers both visual and audio recording laws

http://www.palmvid.com/content/suppo...recording.html
DaycareService 09:25 AM 07-14-2016
Cameras are a great tool for protecting your kids, staff and property. There is a service in Texas that provides the cameras, installation and maintenance at no cost to the provider. So cost isn't an issue. Some providers attach a dvr to record the days and they are upfront with parents when they enroll their children. Parents want to be able to trust and they can best trust what they can see. Although we want it to be...we just don't live in a world that base trust on a person's mere word.
Tags:cctv, monitor, video monitors
Reply Up