Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Question
Meyou 09:22 AM 10-16-2013
I have a 2.5 year old that can hold urine for 3-4 hours at a time (all morning) consistently but refuses to pee on the potty. He will wait sometimes up to 4 hours (until nap) and then flood the diaper the second he gets it on.

This has been going on for 1.5 weeks with little change. He is pleasant, not distressed about his lack of diaper in any way and will go sit when I ask but he waits for the diaper to pee.

Stubborn or not ready?
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 10-16-2013
I'd say not ready. Maybe the toilet freaks them out...???

Does he tell you he is wet? If he doesn't care if he is wet/dry, he is probably just not ready.

One FOR SURE sign of being ready is being uncomfortable with being wet or soiled.
Maria2013 09:38 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I have a 2.5 year old that can hold urine for 3-4 hours at a time (all morning) consistently but refuses to pee on the potty. He will wait sometimes up to 4 hours (until nap) and then flood the diaper the second he gets it on.

This has been going on for 1.5 weeks with little change. He is pleasant, not distressed about his lack of diaper in any way and will go sit when I ask but he waits for the diaper to pee.

Stubborn or not ready?
no matter the reason I would not even go through trying potty train, unless I see some sort of interest on the kid's end, reason why: in my experience kid knows what grownup wants him to do, he decides to feel grownup by manipulate (you want me to do that? well then I wont cause I'm in charge) , kid doesn't know what grownup wants, he soon wants to get potty trained to feel he is grownup
jmo
Meyou 09:43 AM 10-16-2013
We put him in underwear because he was holding it in the diaper too and then telling me that he is wet and wants his diaper changed. He is only peeing 4-5 times per day total and asking to be changed right away each time, both here and at home.

I have him using a potty chair but maybe the toilet will be better. I'm a little confused on this one. He has been showing the signs I look for like fewer wet diapers, verbalizing that he needs to be changed and able to remove clothing himself.
Meyou 09:45 AM 10-16-2013
I forgot to mention he has had his morning poop on the potty no problem but I have asked him to go sit each time. He's very regular. Lol
Blackcat31 09:46 AM 10-16-2013
We put him in underwear because he was holding it in the diaper too and then telling me that he is wet and wants his diaper changed. He is only peeing 4-5 times per day total and asking to be changed right away each time, both here and at home.

I have him using a potty chair but maybe the toilet will be better. I'm a little confused on this one. He has been showing the signs I look for like fewer wet diapers, verbalizing that he needs to be changed and able to remove clothing himself.
How about rewarding? A sticker chart, a big kid toy/activity....etc..

I had one similar and I allowed undies with the understanding that if the child simply refused or didn't try to use the toilet, they were not allowed to continue playing with what they were playing with.

NOT as a punishment but because people are only motivated to change their behaviors when it becomes an issue for them. I made the issue that the current activity was put away and other choices were offered.

If the child wanted to continue playing the first activity for any length of time, they had to use the potty when needed or asked to.
Maria2013 09:52 AM 10-16-2013

He sounds ready, but I still wouldn't put him in underwear
at this point I would put him in pullups and explain to him that when he can ask to go potty and keep pullups dry for a couple of weeks then we can try underwear

I let parents try underwear for the first time, if all goes well I allow he comes in underwear but switch to pullups for nap
Maria2013 10:01 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How about rewarding? A sticker chart, a big kid toy/activity....etc..

I'm glad it works for you, I myself discourage parents from using rewards in potty training, seems once the sticker gets old, the kid goes back wetting his pants to see what else he can get...I still stand behind my belief that if a parent let the kid decide when is time he will get there on his own just cause of the drive to be grownup...might take him a few more months than mom would like but once he gets there on his own will, is unlikely he'll regress to wet pants JMO
Meyou 04:24 AM 10-17-2013
Mom and I talked last night and we're going to put him back in diapers and encourage the potty but stop the cushy on-demand diaper changes. Instead I'm going back to my "schedule" for changes (other than poop). I'll also be telling him that if he feels yucky in a wet diaper he needs to put his pee in the potty. Mom is going to make a point to be "busy" for a few minutes when he demands a change at home.

Does that sound reasonable? I would normally back off completely at this stage but he hates being wet, can tell me when he has to go and just seems to be having a little trouble putting it all together so I don't want to make his regress by "encouraging" diapers again.
Meyou 04:25 AM 10-17-2013
I was doing stickers, BC. He loves them but it didn't make him pee. lol
Tags:potty trained - not, won't - pee, won't go potty
Reply Up