Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Normal, Plan Of Action?
courtneyd07 01:50 PM 03-04-2014
I have a 21 month old DCG I have been watching since August. She has always been a bit emotional, whiny but she quickly got a better attitude after she realized what was allowed in my home but pick ups have always been rough. She knows she can get away with whatever she wants around her mom. A month ago she started tantrums, saying no all day, not allowing my 17 month old son anywhere near her when playing (he's the only other child I have in my care). I quickly reprimanded her and stopped the behavior. But since she has stopped acting out she cries all day, won't eat, won't play and screams at the top of her lungs when her mom picks her up. To the point of it sounding like neighbors would call 911. I've told her mom about the recent crying and not playing and she's obviously aware of the screaming. As soon as her mom arrives she runs in a swoops her up and starts babying her. I get it's hard to see your daughter upset but I believe the behavior is coming from not having any discipline at home, being babied. Her mom has made me fully aware of her new "attitude" at home and her constantly saying no. I've never heard her mom so much as tell her no. I'm due in July with our second baby and am concerned about my plan of action. I can't afford to let her go quite yet but this is starting to affect my son, my husband when he arrives home and soon the baby. Is this normal behavior? What would you do?
cheerfuldom 02:00 PM 03-04-2014
I think you should start interviewing for a replacement now and then term. If you wait too long, families will hesitate to start with you as you get closer to your due date.

It really doesn't matter if this behavior is normal or not, she isn't happy there, you aren't happy, your family is not happy.....time to move on to another family who is a better fit.
daycare 02:01 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by courtneyd07:
I have a 21 month old DCG I have been watching since August. She has always been a bit emotional, whiny but she quickly got a better attitude after she realized what was allowed in my home but pick ups have always been rough. She knows she can get away with whatever she wants around her mom. A month ago she started tantrums, saying no all day, not allowing my 17 month old son anywhere near her when playing (he's the only other child I have in my care). I quickly reprimanded her and stopped the behavior. But since she has stopped acting out she cries all day, won't eat, won't play and screams at the top of her lungs when her mom picks her up. To the point of it sounding like neighbors would call 911. I've told her mom about the recent crying and not playing and she's obviously aware of the screaming. As soon as her mom arrives she runs in a swoops her up and starts babying her. I get it's hard to see your daughter upset but I believe the behavior is coming from not having any discipline at home, being babied. Her mom has made me fully aware of her new "attitude" at home and her constantly saying no. I've never heard her mom so much as tell her no. I'm due in July with our second baby and am concerned about my plan of action. I can't afford to let her go quite yet but this is starting to affect my son, my husband when he arrives home and soon the baby. Is this normal behavior? What would you do?
ALL OF this sounds normal to me. the pick up is normal, you should read on the front page NannyDe's article about the bye-bye outside program or maybe it's called the changing of the guard. It is one of the most brilliant things I have read in a really long time. she hits the nail on the head.

A few times practicing this and you will get it down pat.

I always tell my DCP you MUST back me and enforce all daycare rules when dropping off and picking up.

If the parent does not, then I tell them that we will have to change our drop off and pick up and hold them outside. until the parent can control the child's behavior just keep them picking up outside....

I have done the outside pick up program for a family, they never got it and I termed.
bloominggenius 10:43 PM 03-04-2014
It is called "The changing of the guard"

Have the child ready to go and hand off at the door.
In the morning say goodbye to mom in the doorway and close the door.

As far as the whininess goes, is this child in care for more than 9 hours?

I agree you should begin finding a replacement. Mom is not going to stop the "I love my baby" show.

And I'm sure you love your sanity.
Tags:no cry parenting, screamer, tantrum, tantrums
Reply Up