Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Urinating On Floor
r_forester 04:36 PM 06-10-2015
Hi I am new to home daycare and am new to the forum.
I have a 5.5year old in my care who started to pee on the floor in the bathroom on purpose. I am not sure how to address it or what to suggest to resolve the problem. The first time it happend I thought it could have been an accident but it has happened 3 times since then.
mamamanda 04:50 PM 06-10-2015
I would definitely have them clean up the floor after and preferably while you and the other kids do a cool activity they enjoy. If the 5.5 year old loves playdoh, then as soon as they peed on the floor I would hand them some paper towel & wipes & everyone else gets to go play playdoh. There are some other threads about this same issue if you use the search option. They had some other good ideas too. You don't want to shame the kid, but definitely make them responsible for the mess. It loses its appeal real quick when you have to clean it up. Also, you didn't mention if its a boy or girl, but just make sure there's not a legitimate reason for it. I had a dcg who sprayed pee forward somehow, not on purpose, just how she was made. When I realized that was happening I had her start scooting back farther on the toilet and it fixed the problem.
Luvnmykidz 04:55 PM 06-10-2015
Originally Posted by r_forester:
Hi I am new to home daycare and am new to the forum.
I have a 5.5year old in my care who started to pee on the floor in the bathroom on purpose. I am not sure how to address it or what to suggest to resolve the problem. The first time it happend I thought it could have been an accident but it has happened 3 times since then.
3 times as in the same day, or 3 separate times on different days? How long has this child been in your care, and how long has this child been potty trained? Also is this child waiting to the last minute to go? Honestly at 5 if this was on purpose I would talk to the child the first time to find out why they feel this is okay to do, I would also have them help clean it up, and have a seat somewhere to reflect on the actions, only if this was purposely done. I would also discuss this with the parents. I would want to know of this child does this at home. The second time they would be sent home and the 3rd time care would be terminated. Hopefully other providers can give more suggestions.
r_forester 05:12 PM 06-10-2015
3 seperate times on different days. It definitely seems to be on purpose because the puddle is by the sink. And yes it is urine, I smelled it and it was yellow. It is a girl and she has been in my care for a little over a month. It is a new development in the last week. I remind the kids to go to the bathroom about every hour. And I have a child's seat for the toilet. Today she was in the bathroom for a while and came out and told me there was pee on the floor. She said it wasn't her it was from the sprinkler and she even said the sprinkler must have pee coming out of it. I told her it's ok to have an accident but she needs to tell me so I can help her clean it up. She was still adamant it was not her. :-/
Second Home 06:10 PM 06-10-2015
I would let the parents (and child) know that because of this she will not be allowed to use the bathroom alone , you will be watching her every time she uses the bathroom.
I did this with a 5 yr dcb and it never happened again .
Leigh 07:06 PM 06-10-2015
Are there other behavioral problems? The only potty trained kids I have had that have intentionally peed on the floor have had RAD & ODD. One of those kids was suspected to have been sexually abused (female). When it's intentional, they don't just clean up the pee-they clean the whole bathroom (wipe down the counter, then the floor, then the toilet. Once they do that a few times, they miraculously start to be able to make it to the toilet.
Tags:potty trained - not
Reply Up