Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Charge Late Drop Off Fees?
GrowinginGrace 12:25 PM 10-17-2017
So I have a couple families that are 1. not giving me their needed hours of care (due to no consistent work schedule) or 2. Showing up when ever they please. They all have a signed contract for hours and I have 2 out of my 6 families that are following their contracted times. So Frustrating not to know when they are going to be here. I even got told today that they pay me to be here from 7-5:30 and if they choose not to be here then they pay me to watch out the window for 45 minutes. Really!?
So I guess I am asking this; Do any of you charge a late drop off fee? Or how do you get your families to commit to their scheduled times?
Michael 12:28 PM 10-17-2017
Welcome to the form. Here are some threads on late drop offs. https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...late+drop+offs
Mom2Two 12:37 PM 10-17-2017
1. If they really spoke to you that way, they sound like jerks.
2. Does your contract cover this?

I am not one that charges for late drop off, but my written policies request text if late, and my contract allows me to charge for not following written policies, if that makes sense. I would only charge if it became an ongoing, annoying problem after verbal communication.

I have had one family where it did become an ongoing, annoying problem, but I learned from it and am on top of it better now.

It bugs me most when it's the first family to drop off or the last one to leave. I have had to change the contract of the last family that leaves to allow me to charge $1/min if they are late (later than their already special, stretched-out time that I allow them <eyeball roll>) because they have taken advantage big time in the past.
AmyKidsCo 01:04 PM 10-17-2017
I don't charge for late drop off, but WI requires that I contact the parents if they're late without notice to find out where the child is. My policies state that I may charge $5 per call but so far I've never had to charge it. All of my parents are good about letting me know when they're running late.

Since I don't deal with it on a regular basis an occasional late drop off doesn't bother me, but if it bothers you, go ahead and charge a fee.
amberrose3dg 01:05 PM 10-17-2017
I've not charged for late drop off times. I've charged for early and late pick ups. I have however had to terminate because of this. I had a family that would think it was ok to drop off at 11 or later . The last straw was 2pm beating on my door like the police at nap time. If a family cannot follow my rules eventually I terminate care. I know I cannot accommodate really late drop offs.
Jupadia 01:08 PM 10-17-2017
No late drop off fee. But I do require communication if they are arriving after 8am. I'm open between 7am and 6pm. At 815 we will not be here since we do a school run, when we get back it's snack. So I like to know my numbers before this all happens. As well I ask parents to let me know if they are arriving early for pickup more of a courtesy then for any other reason. Same goes if they are later then normal for pick up (but within hours). Parents if they want to do not need to announce early pickup since I do have open door policy but it helps the day and I let parents know this is why I like to know.

My parents have no issue with this if they did I would honestly think of replacing them it became a problem.
Snowmom 01:21 PM 10-17-2017
I do agree... they sound jerky and I probably wouldn't want to deal with that at all.

I don't charge fees for late drop offs. Instead, I lock my door at 8:45 and I do not take in arrivals after this time.
I reiterate at enrollment...
They need to be here before then or have arranged a late drop off with me at least 12 hours in advance.
I have mostly age 2-4 here and we have a regimented routine. It's what I need to function well at my job so I make no apologies for it.
Unregistered 02:56 PM 10-17-2017
If late drops offs are an interruption to your routine, then start implementing a drop off cut off. Set a time that works for your schedule, and if children are not in attendance at that time then they can't attend that day.

I have had some parents not stick to their original drop off times, but I never changed my routine for them. My day went as I had planned, and if children missed out on part of the day because of a late drop off, that was too bad. If children slept in and couldn't stay quiet during nap time, I called for pick up. I tried to never let a parents decision disrupt my routine. So if someone showed up late, any negative consequences fell on the family not me.

I guess you have to decide which will make you happier at work - having everyone in at the same time before starting the day's activities, or occasionally having a lighter load and going about your day without letting it get to you!

I think that one parent sounds pretty rude - I'd personally be all set if someone spoke to me like that! But I do understand what he might be feeling, that he has already paid for the time, so charging a late drop off fee probably seems like a double dip. But still, I wouldn't want to work with a family that felt they could tell me how to run my business!
Unregistered 03:52 PM 10-17-2017
I had a similar problem when it was grandparents that where dropping off for the day. They would come at lunch time or nap time and sometimes it would only be this child in attendance. I got tired of waiting for one child so I implement d a drop off time. I have a drop off cut off time which is 9am. However I understand there may be days they need to arrive a little after but I require a call or text to let me know what time they will be arriving and it cannot be after 10am. If they are no call/no show by 9am their child is considered absent. The way I wordered why I needed this info is for meal purposes. If they do not call or show by 9am their child will not have a lunch for them. So far I do not have any problems since I implemented this a coup,e of years ago.
HappyEverAfter 04:28 PM 10-17-2017
I don't charge for late drop offs but do require them to text me and let me know if they will be more than an hour late. If they come at an odd hour, I can't hear the doorbell depending on where we are at in the house or if we are outside so parents have to text me when they arrive too. It hasn't been a problem as of yet.
That said, it is deplorable that someone told you that they pay you to be there 7-530 or to watch out the window. You don't work for them, they are your clients and they are not your only clients. I would terminate based off the attitude of the comment alone. Let them pay someone else to sit and wait and wonder by the window.
hwichlaz 04:52 PM 10-17-2017
I don't charge for late drop offs but do have a NO DROP OFF time...11am-3pm which is the time period where we are getting ready for lunch, having lunch, getting ready for nap, having nap.

I like the phone call fee idea. I'll add that next time I redo my contract.
284878 07:56 AM 10-18-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't charge for late drop off, but WI requires that I contact the parents if they're late without notice to find out where the child is. My policies state that I may charge $5 per call but so far I've never had to charge it. All of my parents are good about letting me know when they're running late.

Since I don't deal with it on a regular basis an occasional late drop off doesn't bother me, but if it bothers you, go ahead and charge a fee.
Good policy, I could have made ten dollars on Monday, if this was my policy.
Crazy Baby 08:51 AM 10-18-2017
I do charge a late drop off fee. Everyone has contracted arrival and pick up times, if someone is going to be over 15 minutes late, then they are suppose to contact me to let me know. I charge $10 per hour late fee. I was charging a family $5 per half hour because it became such a problem. It is a distraction to my program and if it is consistent, I consider it rude as well. I am not trying to make money, I just want to persuade people to show up on time.
amberrose3dg 08:56 AM 10-18-2017
Heck just tell you what is going on. I had a kid not show this morning. Mom does stuff like this all the time. No text and will say my phone died, i forgot etc.. I don't even bother to text her to find out what is going on anymore.
Mom2Two 05:48 PM 10-18-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't charge for late drop off, but WI requires that I contact the parents if they're late without notice to find out where the child is. My policies state that I may charge $5 per call but so far I've never had to charge it.
I hadn't thought of that one before. Maybe it will come in handy one day.
Unregistered 02:58 AM 10-19-2017
I think the bigger point you missed is a parent telling you that they pay you to sit there and look out the window until they show up. You are the business and they are your client. As a business you have expectations to be followed. I would have termed right then.
DaveA 03:54 AM 10-19-2017
I don't charge a fee but I state in my contract that because we do a lot of off site activities I can't guarantee there will be anyone here after 9. If I know ahead of time I can plan accordingly. The first time DCP tries to drop off and we're at the farm store or the library usually gets the point across. They can either meet me where we are at or wait till we get back.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 10-19-2017
I don't charge a fee either but I do go about my day as normal. If the child arrives later, they arrive later.

I don't re-do or hold off on activities when someone is late.

If they are late they miss out.

If their drop off time is out of the norm and creates any kind of upheaval during the day I would call for pick up. For example if a child slept in and was dropped off later and then couldn't nap due to sleeping in... I'd call for pick up. One child is never allowed to disrupt everyone else's day.

I too, would have termed the one parent for their disrespectful comment....
I don't provide services for families that have that take on child care.
Tags:cut off time, drop off issues, drop off time, early arrival, early arrival fee, late drop offs, late fees
Reply Up