Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Filing/Organization
dolores 06:35 AM 02-25-2021
Where do you file your incident/injury reports?
And when a kid is dropped off with a black/blue eye because he fell at playground over the weekend with mom/day do you record this?
Cat Herder 06:59 AM 02-25-2021
Where do you file your incident/injury reports?

In a binder on my desk. I am required to keep them on file for two years and available for my inspector at each inspection. I also log them into Daily Connect with a photo that the parent has immediate access to. It emails it to them (and me) as well at the end of the day for their records.

And when a kid is dropped off with a black/blue eye because he fell at playground over the weekend with mom/day do you record this?

Yes. On the health screen form upon arrival, also in Daily Connect with secondary email.
dolores 07:37 AM 02-25-2021
Thank you!
Cat Herder 07:51 AM 02-25-2021
* To make it easy to keep up with, I use the same binder for medication forms, field trip forms, attendance sign in/out sheets, menus, curriculum forms and injury forms. Separated with colored dividers, then subdivided by year.

The enrollment binder has all the child/family information.

The training binder has everything else. It has 20 sections.

All have to kept available for viewing at each visit here for two years.
dolores 10:38 AM 02-25-2021
I like this. They sound like huge binders! How often do you purge them?

What does your training binder consist of?
Cat Herder 11:55 AM 02-25-2021
They sound like huge binders! How often do you purge them?

2 inch binders. I purge every year. The current binder has 2021/2020. 2019 (and all other years) went into a manilla folder on January 1st, then into my filing cabinet. I have not decided what to do with them past that. Maybe one day I will dance around a bonfire of them and burn sage, who knows.

I usually only have about 3-5 pages of medications and injuries per year (6 kids max). Most often bug bites/bug bite cream and bruises from kids running into each other playing with push toys, ugh. Field trip forms list all kids/signed at drop-off, about 10 pages. Attendance sheets list all kids for a full week so 52 pages. Same with curriculum templates and menus, 52 pages. About 175 pages, per year. Give or take.

What does your training binder consist of?

3 inch binder. The state gives us a list of required documents, so I literally put the binder together in that exact order to make the visits go smooth and fast. You know the kids only act crazy when we have visitors and our attention is diverted. It follows their inspection check list exactly.

Cat Herder 11:59 AM 02-25-2021
Oh, The enrollment binder is 1 inch. Each child has a section with their photo, DOB, medical information, emergency contacts and all enrollment forms. I take it in and out with us, just in case there is an emergency and I am the one to become unresponsive. Worst case scenario stuff.
dolores 11:23 AM 02-26-2021
This is some good stuff you've shared! Thank you! The binder with required documents in one place is everything! I can see how that is more efficient than individual folders in a cabinet like I've been doing. And I like the idea of an enrollment binder to just put in the emergency bag for outings. Well, I'll be busy(ier) for a while!
Cat Herder 11:46 AM 02-26-2021
You are very welcome.

I also have a binder for my adult kids. They call it the book of the dead and joke that they are going to play rock, paper, scissors, spock to see who has to open it.

It is full of everything the kids would need upon entering our home to manage our death (if we go together). Funeral plans/burial site (completed, paid), life insurance policies, will, where to donate our clothing/junk and what travel bag gets thrown away unopened.

I need to have everything planned and done so nothing bad every happens.
grandmom 03:14 PM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You are very welcome.

I also have a binder for my adult kids. They call it the book of the dead and joke that they are going to play rock, paper, scissors, spock to see who has to open it.

It is full of everything the kids would need upon entering our home to manage our death (if we go together). Funeral plans/burial site (completed, paid), life insurance policies, will, where to donate our clothing/junk and what travel bag gets thrown away unopened.

I need to have everything planned and done so nothing bad every happens.
Oh my goshhhh. We are kindred spirits.
Tags:binder, injury report, parent communication, parent communication apps, record keeping
Reply Up