Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lice Policy?
MCC 06:00 AM 06-13-2013
Hello again everyone!

I just had a new DCM drop off her part time DCB and mention that his playgroup friend's mom just emailed that her kid had lice. He was playing with the kid on Tuesday, and the mom emailed this morning with the news.

I told her she needed to leave, and do a full head exam to make sure DCB didn't have them. She understood, but I'm feeling a little sheepish because I had no idea what to say, and have nothing in my policies about lice.

What is your policy for children who have been exposed, but not confirmed?

Thanks so much!
jenn 06:35 AM 06-13-2013
I have a phobia of lice. When I taught kindergarten, someone always seemed to have it and I would just start itching immediately. Even my eyebrows would itch The rule there was that if any nits or live bugs were found, they were excluded. A thorough check was done before they returned.
Thankfully, I have not had that problem in daycare yet (knock on wood, fingers crossed,...). I would be checking that kid super super well everyday for a few days before letting them in my house.
LaLa1923 07:06 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I have a phobia of lice. When I taught kindergarten, someone always seemed to have it and I would just start itching immediately. Even my eyebrows would itch The rule there was that if any nits or live bugs were found, they were excluded. A thorough check was done before they returned.
Thankfully, I have not had that problem in daycare yet (knock on wood, fingers crossed,...). I would be checking that kid super super well everyday for a few days before letting them in my house.

They are excluded from school if they have bugs or nits, so they are excluded here. I would check every morning for at least a week. I'm thinking about buying a magnifying light.
Cradle2crayons 08:27 AM 06-13-2013
Exposure is one thing. Having them is another. I'd have done a thorough check outside the entrance door. I don't trust parents if I send them home to check. I do the check MYSELF. If there is any nits/eggs/etc they go right back down the stairs and are excluded for 48 hours. Mom has to show proof of treatment including the box and receipt and empty container. Ifnthemchildnis old enough I may even say something like "mom spent forever washing your hair with that icky stuff didn't she"?? Ad if the kid says yes, then I know.

Lol
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 06-13-2013
I certainly wouldn't exclude due to exposure. There is no contagious period or incubation period for lice.

A child either has lice and/or nits.

If they do have nits or bugs, they are excluded until they are gone.

NO time frame as some have success with eradicating both bugs and nits with one treatment or method and others have a tough time. Depends on what method the parent uses and the child's hair.

Either way, children are not allowed to return until ALL nits and bugs are gone.
DaisyMamma 10:54 AM 06-13-2013
I would have thoroughly checked him right then before she left. As long as he was nit free he could stay. I would continue to check him daily for 2 weeks. I would also check the other kids randomly each day for a couple of weeks.

I have a nit free policy.

If someone has it and is sent home then they need to be treated before returning.

I had a girl who kept coming back with nits day after day and I sent her home day after day. Dad said he had treated her. I don't think he was treating his home. Finally I said she needed to be treated with an Rx. Dad just pulled her from my daycare. I was glad to see them go. It cost me hundreds in treating my home and my own children.
lflick 11:16 AM 06-13-2013
O...M....G!!! I am itching reading this thread!! I've never had to deal and I'm terrified of the day!
craftymissbeth 11:24 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
O...M....G!!! I am itching reading this thread!! I've never had to deal and I'm terrified of the day!
Exactly what I was going to say! I got through the first post and immediately started itching!
MCC 01:27 PM 06-13-2013
Thank you all so much for your responses! Mom went and had kiddos hair cut, and called the pedi who said what you all have said- as long as he doesn't HAVE them, he should be fine.

It still gave me major willies that he was here. I'm glad I sent him home, and he wont be back until Monday.

I will be doing some Lice research- I'm not eve sure I know how to check for them...oops.
Starburst 10:34 AM 06-16-2013
This is what I have in my policies:

"The child care provider has a no nit policy; meaning that children cannot have lice or nits. Children found with lice or nits will be sent home and cannot come back until next day after treatment, children sent home with lice or nits are subject to a lice check before re-admittance to child care home. Child must not have a single louse or nit found to attend daycare. Regular tuition payments are still expected for days a child is absent due to lice or nits."
coolconfidentme 05:19 AM 06-17-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
Hello again everyone!

I just had a new DCM drop off her part time DCB and mention that his playgroup friend's mom just emailed that her kid had lice. He was playing with the kid on Tuesday, and the mom emailed this morning with the news.

I told her she needed to leave, and do a full head exam to make sure DCB didn't have them. She understood, but I'm feeling a little sheepish because I had no idea what to say, and have nothing in my policies about lice.

What is your policy for children who have been exposed, but not confirmed?

Thanks so much!
OMGosh..., I had a mom text me last Thursday saying her kids had lice. I told her I follow the same policy the school has & she cannot return without full treatment. I informed all the other parents & did checks on the other DCKs. Thank gosh nobody had any. This weekend I wash EVERYTHING daycare related at the laundry-mat. Very pricey to say the least!!!
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 06-17-2013
Lice, it's treatment and solutions are apparently common enough that it has it's own web-site.

Just in case anyone needs to reference it

http://www.headlice.org/
daycarediva 09:42 AM 06-17-2013
No lice and I have a 24 hour nit free rule.
Tags:lice guidelines
Reply Up