Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Say No?
kitkat 08:55 AM 05-19-2014
I have a parent who has approached me twice at my DD's school about providing care for his child who will be 3 in August. The first time he ended up not needing care. This time he needs care for about 2 hours one day a week. I told him I would have to get back to him because I was waiting to hear back from someone else. I have no problem doing part time care. That is actually what I provide. However, the more I think about this, the more I don't want to do it. One day for two hours is not worth my time or energy. Plus I don't know if the kid has been anywhere besides his house for care. I know right now they have a college girl that comes to their house.

So, how do I tell him no? In the past, I told him my daily rate. I am afraid if I tell him the rate again that I would end up with his kid for more than 2 hours, which I really don't want either. He is a nice guy, seems a little dense, and lives on the same street, but down a block, so I will keep running into him. Help please!
Blackcat31 09:03 AM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I have a parent who has approached me twice at my DD's school about providing care for his child who will be 3 in August. The first time he ended up not needing care. This time he needs care for about 2 hours one day a week. I told him I would have to get back to him because I was waiting to hear back from someone else. I have no problem doing part time care. That is actually what I provide. However, the more I think about this, the more I don't want to do it. One day for two hours is not worth my time or energy. Plus I don't know if the kid has been anywhere besides his house for care. I know right now they have a college girl that comes to their house.

So, how do I tell him no? In the past, I told him my daily rate. I am afraid if I tell him the rate again that I would end up with his kid for more than 2 hours, which I really don't want either. He is a nice guy, seems a little dense, and lives on the same street, but down a block, so I will keep running into him. Help please!
Tell him you have a wait list or just tell him you don't charge by the day and even if he only needed 2 hours for one day each week, you would still charge your weekly rate.

If he agrees, you can tell him you only have one day open.
LysesKids 09:07 AM 05-19-2014
For me, 2 hours isn't even the minimum I charge for Drop-in care… That's essentially what he wants. Flat out SAY you don't have a spot available and drop it; it's none of his business why you do or don't want him in care
spinnymarie 09:25 AM 05-19-2014
I would tell him I have a minimum of 4 or 5 hours per day, 2 days each week, and that you don't have an opening for that at this time
No way I would take a kid for that little of time on a permanent basis, he would NEVER get used to being there!
Tags:saying no
Reply Up