Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Just Watch Teacher's Kids Or Work Monday Through Thursday?
wdmmom 11:54 AM 05-13-2013
I've really been debating on trying a different angle in terms of daycare. Next year I will have 2 leave for kindy and another 1 or 2 possible go into part time preschool.

Right now I have 2 girls (siblings) that attend Monday through Thursday only and I'm off every Friday at 330pm but during the summer I cut my closing time back to 2pm.

I also work for 1 teacher family so the dcb I have now will be gone over the summer and hopefully adding the new baby later in the year (October).

With that being said, I'm really beginning to wonder if I should consider extending my "feelers" out there and see if a "Teacher Only daycare" or a Monday through Thursday daycare would be feasible in my area.

If any of you have experience in working with teachers children only or only have a 4 day work week. Please let me know any suggestions you have and how you transitioned.

Thank you!
mbullette 11:59 AM 05-13-2013
I have been thinking about taking just teachers kids starting in fall. Then I would have my summers off. I just dont know how to advertise for it. I tend to get a lot of part time people which I dont want. I am interested to see what others have to say.
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 05-13-2013
Right now 50% of my families are teachers. I am also only working M-R this summer with Friday's off.

There is a provider who lives 3 houses down who ONLY takes teacher families because she isn't open in the summer time.
She has been in the business for 23 years so it works great for her!

I am sure it can be done....it would be especially appealing to teacher families to not have to pay for the space all summer so I am sure you would be very successful if you went that route.
butterfly 12:18 PM 05-13-2013
I do a school year only daycare. It works wonderful for me. I follow the school district's calendar, so I'm closed all the days that the school is closed with the exception of conference days. I start one week before school starts so the teachers have a few days to attend workshops and get their rooms ready for kids. I also work through the last day of school - if the last day is a tuesday, I'll work through Friday. (again allowing teachers time to finish up projects for the year and it makes for a full week when it comes to fees)

I live across the street from an elementary school here, so my location makes it very convenient for several of the teachers I serve. I don't necessary limit myself to teacher's kids but everyone must be able to work with my schedule. I have had some college professor's kids, Headstart teacher's kids, students' kids, some that just use me for dropin, etc.

I charge the same rate each week, regardless of attendance. Except that I don't charge for the summer or for the full week that I'm closed for Christmas break. I charge the same rate for all other weeks, even if there are dates I'm closed or children don't attend for some reason.

I absolutely love my schedule! I actually get to spend time with my kids! I used to work a full year but when I had kids age out and move and was left with only teacher kids, it worked out perfectly to make that switch.

Good luck!
MNMum 12:20 PM 05-13-2013
I am only open Monday-Thursday from 7:45-4:30pm. There is a big need for daycare in my area and I have a good program/reputation. So I have no trouble filling my spots at this point. I do have a higher turnover rate than many others. Sometimes families end up needing longer hours or Fridays so need to find a different option. But I do have a waiting list. Some of the families have one parent that only works M-Th, some have a grandparent watching the kids on Fridays.
snbauser 01:08 PM 05-13-2013
I only do school employees or those that can follow the school calendar. I am closed on all non-school days except for teacher workdays. In the summer I am only open Mon-Wed from 7:30-4 but don't go to this schedule until a week after school is out and go back to my regular schedule the week before school starts because our schools have teacher workdays at the beginning and end of each school year. This is a new schedule for me but I will be full come August with all school employees so so far it is working for me. I think for some it is the fact that they don't have to pay when school is closed and they only have to pay a 3day/week rate in the summer to hold their spot for the fall. I would like to get to the point financially that I can close all summer but am not there yet.
nothingwithoutjoy 03:50 PM 05-13-2013
After 5 years doing M-F, I switched 2 years ago to M-Th. It was a wonderful change for me and my family, and one that I felt was necessary to regain some balance in our lives (and which turned out to be a blessing when I found out shortly after making the decision that my mother has terminal cancer; it gave me time to spend with her every week).

I made the switch in September, but told the parents much earlier in the year (April? May? I can't remember.) I had one child going to kindergarten, and all the other children only came 4 days a week anyway, so by giving each of the Friday-enrolled kids one of the now-vacant spaces earlier in the week, everyone was still able to have as many days as they did before. (That was why I decided to do it when I did; I knew it could work without too much inconvenience.) Most of my parents are self-employed, or at least have flexible schedules, so it worked out.

Sometimes I have to turn away potential families because they want full-time care, but not often. I have a strong reputation and a waiting list, so people are willing to do what's necessary to get their kids in here.

I'd recommend you do it! (one or the other of your plans). You'll be a better teacher for doing what's best for yourself and your family. And you'll have more balance and peace in your life.
e.j. 03:53 PM 05-13-2013
I've been working M-Th for years and I love it! I started that schedule when my own kids were young so that knew I always had one day a week to make appointments - dr, dentist, IEP meetings at school, etc. Now that my kids are grown, I've considered working on Fridays again but I'm just not ready to give it up yet. It's nice to have a day to do laundry, housework, appointments, etc so they don't eat up the weekend.
Kym2098 04:03 PM 05-13-2013
I currently work Mon-Th. I decided in Jan. that I wanted to be off Fridays. I sent out a letter to the parents and all accepted this change. I only had one DCB on Fridays at the time (termed for other reasons in Feb.). Now I have 3 families and all are fine w/ my hours/days of operation.
It was literally the best decision I made. I'm happier and less stressed! I'm still new to this daycare gig but I'm glad I made the decision to close Fridays early on!
I find nowadays in my area, ppl only need part time care.

Good luck!
lovemykidstoo 06:21 AM 06-12-2013
For the first few years of doing daycare, I worked 5 days 10 hrs a day and was quickly getting burned out. Then it happened that I only had 1 child on Fridays for 10 hours. His mothers schedule changed where she only worked 1/2 a day and was out at 12:00. She still wanted to bring him until 5:30 though. No way I said, I'll compromise and let him stay until 1:00. Loved it. Then he went to school and I just never took anyone else on Friday since then. I highly recommend it!
originalkat 06:47 PM 06-13-2013
I have the option for both (school year only and Full Year). I have about 1/2 and 1/2. I would love all teacher kids, but I cant afford to be that picky since my hubby is a full time student and daycare is our only income. But one day...one day it would be really nice. For the school year only families they pay a flat rate per month Aug-May and do not pay for June and July. They get one week free for spring and winter breaks but that is all deducted off the top and averaged into the monthly rate. I do the same thing for full year families, but they just pay the monthly rate all year. I love it because I can count on the same income every month despite holidays and vacations.
Reply Up