Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Autism??
gbcc 09:50 AM 03-22-2011
I hope I am over reacting but I am very concerned about a daycare child. The child will be two within the next 3 months. I have brought up concerns with the mother but the mother will not accept there is an issue. I have an older autistic daycare child so some things seemed familiar to me so I googled autism. Here is what I found at the Mayo clinic site and comparisons to the child. I will mark with a * Next to traits I feel compare.

Social skills

* Fails to respond to his or her name *
* Has poor eye contact *
* Appears not to hear you at times *
* Resists cuddling and holding *(Just started giving hugs last wk)
Appears unaware of others' feelings
* Seems to prefer playing alone — retreats into his or her "own world" *

Language

* Starts talking later than age 2, and has other developmental delays by 30 months * (No words used at all at 22 mths old)
Loses previously acquired ability to say words or sentences
Doesn't make eye contact when making requests
Speaks with an abnormal tone or rhythm — may use a singsong voice or robot-like speech
Can't start a conversation or keep one going
May repeat words or phrases verbatim, but doesn't understand how to use them

Behavior

* Performs repetitive movements, such as rocking, spinning or hand-flapping *(Needs to constantly close all doors, gates etc. Will open and close non stop. If someone leaves a door/gate open child will walk across the room to shut them and then will open and shut 3 times before leaving shut.)
* Develops specific routines or rituals * (Needs routine or becomes cranky)
Becomes disturbed at the slightest change in routines or rituals
* Moves constantly *(never sits to play just moves from one thing to the next.)
May be fascinated by parts of an object, such as the spinning wheels of a toy
* May be unusually sensitive to light, sound and touch and yet oblivious to pain * (No sensitivities that I noticed, but NEVER cries when hit by another child or falls down.)

Your doctor may recommend further developmental tests if your child:
*The child does not exhibit any of the below babble, gesture, etc.
Doesn't babble or coo by 12 months
Doesn't gesture — such as point or wave — by 12 months
Doesn't say single words by 16 months
Doesn't say two-word phrases by 24 months

So, for those with experience.... Do I have a valid concern? If i do have a valid concern, everything I have read makes it look like the earlier the treatment the better so I am wondering if I should point the above out and be direct or if I should just leave things alone? Personally if I was in denial I would hope someone pointed it out to me but I have never been faced with accepting something like this either.

I am really hoping I am over thinking things. Thanks for the advice.
QualiTcare 09:59 AM 03-22-2011
i suspected a child of having autism once and after getting his mother to get him evaluated - it ended up being a speech delay. he wouldn't respond to me or follow simple commands bc he had no clue what i was saying apparently. he did a lot of "weird" things and was a loner, but that also probably had to do with the fact he was delayed and couldn't communicate like the other kids did with each other.

autism is a hot word, but it could be anything - or it could be nothing. i would mention the things to the child's mother without saying what you think the diagnosis might be, but let her know you are very concerned. suggesting a hearing issue might be a good place to start - parents don't seem to be offended by that bc it doesn't suggest there's something "wrong" or the child is "slow."
Atroya 10:00 AM 03-22-2011
I have a set of 4 yr old twins that both show autistic signs..I just posted today about it. It is going to be a challanging summer for us.
gbcc 10:03 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i suspected a child of having autism once and after getting his mother to get him evaluated - it ended up being a speech delay. he wouldn't respond to me or follow simple commands bc he had no clue what i was saying apparently. he did a lot of "weird" things and was a loner, but that also probably had to do with the fact he was delayed and couldn't communicate like the other kids did with each other.

autism is a hot word, but it could be anything - or it could be nothing. i would mention the things to the child's mother without saying what you think the diagnosis might be, but let her know you are very concerned. suggesting a hearing issue might be a good place to start - parents don't seem to be offended by that bc it doesn't suggest there's something "wrong" or the child is "slow."
I initially thought it was a speech delay but now with the other things added on such as being a loner and the gate it made me wonder.

I tried suggesting the "hearing" Mom did test at home and she thinks the hearing is just fine and the child is having selective hearing. I will call the child. Motion for her to come here and call her name and she just stands there and stares at me. Even if she didn't understand what I was saying or motioning, the fact that the other children do as I ask, I would think she would pick up on it?
Zoe 10:24 AM 03-22-2011
My son displayed these exact signs that you've mentioned and I was SO worried that it was Autism. I had Autism on the brain that summer because I was working with Autistic kids so that's where my mind immediately went to. It turned out to be a speech delay.

I know it's troubling when the child seems to be in his/her own world, but it doesn't sound like Autism to me. If I were you, I would keep an eye out for a few months and see how the child is. It's hard at an age this young, because social adaptation is the biggest factor and with a 2 year old it's difficult to tell what's "normal" or not.

It's wonderful that you are looking out for this child, but since the mother doesn't really want to discuss it, I'd drop it with her for a while. If the child starts to really exhibit a LOT more of the signs of Autism, then bring it up again. Without parental approval, there isn't anything we can do.
Blackcat31 10:29 AM 03-22-2011
Here are some helpful and educational sites for autism information, resources and support.

http://www.tinsnips.org/
http://www.ianproject.org/
gbcc 10:54 AM 03-22-2011
Thanks everyone. It just breaks my heart to see what the other two children can do. She just has no desire to interact with them. Hopefully when she goes for her two year check up the Dr. will notice the delays.
BentleysBands 11:30 AM 03-22-2011
my son , 6, has just been diagnosed with sensory intergration with autistic characteristics....he displays NONE of what was posted, he is the oppitsite. he is called a sensory seeker ...most think his ADHD but hes not.

if you have spoken to the parent theres not much else for you to do IMO...its her child and unfortunately some parents would rather deny things. i always thought something was up with my DS but the doc didnt. Until this yr in first grade...needless to say a regular ped. is NOT a good diagnoser ...u have to seek other help. we saw several OT's and a developmental peditricain to help us.
Reply Up