Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When "How Much Do You Charge?" Is The First Question
misspollywog 03:17 PM 11-08-2011
Just got a call from someone looking for dc for a 1 and 2.5 year old and the first thing I hear after saying hello is "how much do you charge?". No "hello, my name is ____ and I saw your ad and I'm looking for quality care for my little ones".

Nope, just "how much do you charge?".

It made me not want to even answer, honestly because it gives me the impression that they'd drop their kids into a over-filled monkey cage at the zoo if the price was right.

Am I the only one who is this judgmental?

BTW, she said she is calling around checking prices and would "keep me in mind". Mmmhmm lol.
MyAngels 03:22 PM 11-08-2011
I've never minded this question, even if it's the first one. I'd rather not waste my time or theirs if they cannot afford my rates.

I also remember being a young mom looking for daycare and not really knowing at first the "right" questions to ask, let alone which ones to ask first .

I get to know my families pretty well before I'll enroll them, so usually that first conversation is long forgotten anyway.
daycare 03:27 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I've never minded this question, even if it's the first one. I'd rather not waste my time or theirs if they cannot afford my rates.

I also remember being a young mom looking for daycare and not really knowing at first the "right" questions to ask, let alone which ones to ask first .

I get to know my families pretty well before I'll enroll them, so usually that first conversation is long forgotten anyway.
Ditto above. Gets a lot out of the way. No wasted time if they can't afford me.
hoopinglady 03:31 PM 11-08-2011
I understand.

Often I over talk at interviews telling all about my program and care and they'll be like, "yeah, so you charge $...?" or something else money related.

I understand they need to know the price but more often than not it seems incredibly apparent that the really are not interested in what I'm saying or what I do.

I'll tell them to make a list of questions before they come. Or I'll say, I'll just talk and stop me if you have questions.

BUT I've had moms (parents) say that they mostly go with their gut in terms of how they feel about me and the house etc and I do appreciate that more than the super anal ones. I had a mom come with a clipboard and go through about 50 questions one time!
nannyde 04:36 PM 11-08-2011
"How much do you charge?"

My answer "It depends on what you need."

Then I ask the top questions:

Where do you live/work?
Where does second parent live/work?
How many children?
Ages of children?
What hours do you and second parent work?
What hours do you think you need?

I base my rates on departure time and a max of nine hours so I can't answer what the rates are until I know. If they insist on an amount I say between 140 and 210.......... again depends on what you need.
misspollywog 04:53 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
"How much do you charge?"

My answer "It depends on what you need."

Sorry, but I just imagined them calling a wrong # and hearing that as an answer.

I like your list, I'm keeping it handy because I get tongue tied when they don't even bother to open with a "hello".
mac60 05:05 PM 11-08-2011
I don't mind people asking first either because if they can't afford me then there is no point of wasting my time. I usually give an answer of xx to xx depending on hours and number of days.
familyschoolcare 05:22 PM 11-08-2011
I also do not mid the question just tell me who you are and/or how you heard of me first.
wdmmom 08:06 PM 11-08-2011
My rates vary depending on what you need. Age of kids, Days per week, hours per day, drop off time, pick up time, etc.
MarinaVanessa 08:37 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Ditto here. I'd rather discuss my rates and get that over with so that I don't waste my time or theirs. I'd hate to have to go through my whole daycare selling points and answer question after question only to find out that they can't afford it.
misspollywog 09:05 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Ditto here. I'd rather discuss my rates and get that over with so that I don't waste my time or theirs. I'd hate to have to go through my whole daycare selling points and answer question after question only to find out that they can't afford it.
I guess I wouldn't have minded so much if she'd have at least said "hello" after I did. The conversation literally went:

Me: Hello?
Her: How much do you charge?

That's what annoyed me. At least ask if I'm such and such daycare, maybe introduce yourself, and for gosh sake's, say HELLO before anything else!

It is my *ahem* week so I probably shouldn't be answering the phone right now anyway lol.
MarinaVanessa 08:45 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by misspollywog:

It is my *ahem* week so I probably shouldn't be answering the phone right now anyway lol.

So not even a hello? Wow, ok I'm with ya .
mismatchedsocks 08:53 AM 11-09-2011
Not even a hello, how rude. asking what you pay or not!

I usually dont answer them right away, since it depends on age/times/etc. If I just give them my fulltime rate for 45 hours and they need 50 hours, well I dont want them quoting me.
Tags:interview - checklist, the art of the interview
Reply Up