Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dishwasher for Toys
busymommy0420 07:14 AM 03-04-2013
So even though my daycare friends are all over three...they all love to put items in their mouth! I have done the bleach solution method to clean the toys but really didn't like it for a few reasons. I bought a laundry mesh bag and fill it with the toys and run it in the dishwasher. It cleans the toys, keeps them contained and makes me feel better about NOT using bleach. This is acceptable way to clean toys in my state, so I thought I would share my new system.
Attached: images.jpg (4.8 KB) 
kathiemarie 07:20 AM 03-04-2013
Love it! I'm going to do that with my legos. Thanks for the idea.
ABCDaycareMN 07:23 AM 03-04-2013
Thanks for the idea!
MarinaVanessa 12:51 PM 03-04-2013
That's great.
Ive been looking some bags like that. Right now I just have a few 12 x 12 mesh zipper bags that are really actually washer undergarment bags but I need bigger sizes or more bags. Where did you get yours? I got mine at Kohl's a few years ago but after that I never saw them again
GrannyJ 01:03 PM 03-04-2013
I have a bag like that I bought at Walmart last month. When I fill it with toys it takes up the whole top shelf of my dishwasher. It makes cleaning and sanitizing toys so easy.
KnoxMom 01:05 PM 03-04-2013
I never would have thought of this. Thanks for sharing!
Evansmom 01:28 PM 03-04-2013
This doesn't ruin/fade/prematurely age the toys at all? Do you run them only on the top rack?
MarinaVanessa 02:22 PM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
This doesn't ruin/fade/prematurely age the toys at all? Do you run them only on the top rack?
I've been washing my sturdy plastic toys in the dishwasher for years now and I've never had an issue with fading, cracking or breaking and I use vinegar in the drying agent dispenser instead of the commercial stuff.

As long as they are pretty sturdy the toys can go in any rack (top or bottom). Here's what I typically wash: Little People, Legos, Duplos, Mega Blocks, metal cars, sturdy plastic cars, Instruments, plastic animals, etc.

Just don't put anything wood in the dishwasher otherwise the wood can warp and expand and anything that is plastic and flimsy like a plastic goes in the top rack only. Just think about whether it was a plastic dish or container ... where would you put it so it wouldn't melt etc.
Evansmom 03:10 PM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I've been washing my sturdy plastic toys in the dishwasher for years now and I've never had an issue with fading, cracking or breaking and I use vinegar in the drying agent dispenser instead of the commercial stuff.

As long as they are pretty sturdy the toys can go in any rack (top or bottom). Here's what I typically wash: Little People, Legos, Duplos, Mega Blocks, metal cars, sturdy plastic cars, Instruments, plastic animals, etc.

Just don't put anything wood in the dishwasher otherwise the wood can warp and expand and anything that is plastic and flimsy like a plastic goes in the top rack only. Just think about whether it was a plastic dish or container ... where would you put it so it wouldn't melt etc.
Oh thanks! That's what I was thinking about exactly (Legos, duplos, trios, etc) I'd hate for any if those toys to break or fade bc they are classics and can be handed down for generations! My MIL saved one of her sons Lego collection for his kids and its a ton of cool and totally useable pieces.
Luna 04:06 PM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

I think I have asked before and didn't see an answer...when you wash your Little People in the dishwasher don't they fill up with water? How do you get them dry inside? I'm imagining mold in there
Michelle 06:19 PM 03-04-2013
you can put vinegar in the rinse agent compartment?
Do you put in full strength or dilute it?
MarinaVanessa 10:33 AM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
I think I have asked before and didn't see an answer...when you wash your Little People in the dishwasher don't they fill up with water? How do you get them dry inside? I'm imagining mold in there
If you asked I must have missed it sorry. And so far I havn't had a problem with mold but maybe because I do occasionally still spray or dip the toys in bleach/water solution. I also put the toys through the heated dry cycle so they are pretty dry when they come out. I do pull them out in the bag and shake them up though to make sure that most of the water is out and then hang the bag outside overnight so I don't know if that helps. I just looked inside a coupe of the little people and didn't see any mold.

Originally Posted by Michelle:
you can put vinegar in the rinse agent compartment?
Do you put in full strength or dilute it?
I do but I did call my manufacturer to my dishwasher and checked to make sure that the vinegar wouldn't dissolve the tubing and they said it was fine. My manual even mentions to add vinegar every so often to clean out the residue that food and water particles leave behind inside the dishwasher. Vinegar is a great way to clean older dishwashers as it breaks down calcium, rust, water and food deposits that may build up over time. Our dishwasher is now a few years old and still looks new and we have HORRIBLE hard water. No build up at all in the dishwasher and the vinegar works as a drying agent much like how it works on mirrors, it leaves dishes spot and streak free. I don't dilute it, just add it straight into the drying agent dispenser.
mbullette 11:11 AM 03-05-2013
Hot glue gun works great on toys that have holes. I do this to all my son's bath toys and never had a problem with mold.
Chuckles 07:41 PM 03-05-2013
You can also use a washing machine on the hot cycle. The water is supposed to get hot enough to sanitize the toys. Some states allow the use of the aerosol Lysol instead of the bleach solution.
MsLaura529 04:45 AM 03-06-2013
What a great idea, thanks for sharing!!

[quote=Chuckles;326632]You can also use a washing machine on the hot cycle. The water is supposed to get hot enough to sanitize the toys. Some states allow the use of the aerosol Lysol instead of the bleach solution.[/QUOTE]

Totally OT, but one time I used our aerosol Lysol for dusting instead of the can of Pledge
Tags:toy cleaning
Reply Up