Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naps for older kids...
LeslieG 06:50 AM 05-06-2013
At what age do you stop naps? Currently all my kids nap, but I have a family interested in my daycare who have a 5 year old, so I'm not sure if naps are still in the picture.

Do you have an older child that does not nap? If so, what do you have them do during nap time?
crazydaycarelady 06:55 AM 05-06-2013
I kind of play it by ear. I have had kids that nap clear up until they day the enter kindergarten and other kids who really don't need a nap after 2yo. Either way I still have a quiet period between 1:00 - 3:00. The non-nappers can watch TV, read, or do something quietly while I catch up on dishes, prepare snack, etc. I can't afford to give up naptime to get things done.
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 05-06-2013
I only take kids up to age Kindergarten and anyone enrolled is required to have rest time.

They don't have to sleep but they do have to lie down and rest for 90 minutes.

I would not enroll a family that didn't agree with this.

Doesn't mean ALL providers have to make everyone nap as many providers do have some nap and others play quietly....it is basically whatever works for YOU and your set up and daily routine.

I don't have a place for non-resting kids to play or do quiet activities while others rest so I just planned mandatory rest time for everyone into my program rules/policies.
mbullette 07:05 AM 05-06-2013
I currently watch a 5 year old who still naps. By law the kids here nap in Kindergarten so I see nothing wrong with it. There have been days he doesn't sleep but he still lays on his mat and reads books. He is quiet and his parents have never had an issue. I would not watch a child who's parents are against it. I have in the past and it was a disaster and I would never do it again.
blandino 07:05 AM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I only take kids up to age Kindergarten and anyone enrolled is required to have rest time.

They don't have to sleep but they do have to lie down and rest for 90 minutes.

I would not enroll a family that didn't agree with this.

Doesn't mean ALL providers have to make everyone nap as many providers do have some nap and others play quietly....it is basically whatever works for YOU and your set up and daily routine.

I don't have a place for non-resting kids to play or do quiet activities while others rest so I just planned mandatory rest time for everyone into my program rules/policies.

I do the same and for the same reasons. We have 0-4 enrolled, and all children must lay down on a mat during our 2 hour nap time. They have stories on CD playing, and they each get to pick out a book to bring to their mat. Currently we have a 2.5 year old who doesn't nap at all (and didn't at his previous daycare) and a just turned 4 year old who takes maybe an hour to fall asleep, but does fall asleep ALMOST everyday. But both lay quietly for nap time.
DaisyMamma 08:27 AM 05-06-2013
At that age I would be wondering why he or she needs daycare all of a sudden?

I would also ask myself if I want a child who doesn't nap. Nap time is a much needed break for everyone, provider included. It would be a huge change to have someone, even a 5 year old, invading that time.
And although I clean and prepare crafts and snacks, etc. during nap, I personally wouldnt want to have to entertain any kid during that time. Been there, done that, it doesn't work for me.
And telling them to lay down and have quiet time is stressful as well, as you're constantly telling them to be quiet, lay down, stop fooling around, etc.

This is just from my experience, it depends on the personality of the provider and the personality of the kid.
Reply Up