Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transporting Fees
GrannyJ 04:37 PM 07-14-2011
Hi, this is my first post, I hope I am doing this right!!! Anyway, what I would like to know does anyone charge an extra fee for picking up school age children? I charge a flat weekly rate but starting next month I will be picking up a kindergartener is it ok to charge an extra say $25 or $30 a month to cover gas and insurance?
safechner 05:21 PM 07-14-2011
I would charge .50 cent per mile for picking them up and back to home. That is what I will charge.
Abigail 08:47 PM 07-14-2011
How far do you have to drive to the school? How many children do you have to transport with you? How long will the entire trip to and entire trip from take you?

Are you aware that your regular car insurance does NOT cover daycare transportation. Normally, your car insurance rate will TRIPLE in cost if you regularly transport children. What is the new cost vs. old cost of vehicle insurance?
Pammie 03:00 AM 07-15-2011
Be careful with this. According to my insurance agent, if you charge specifically for transportation (or even gas/time reimbursement to transport), then you are no longer covered by your regular auto insurance - your class changes to hired-transportation like taxis and chauffeurs.

In the event of an accident - even a minor fender bender - without the appropriate class of coverage, your insurance company can deny payment and you would be as liable as if you were driving kids with no insurance at all.

Please be careful.

The only way around this would be to raise your rates the amount you're considering, just don't say that it's a transportation fee - or get an auto policy that would surely have you covered.
GrannyJ 08:23 PM 07-15-2011
Thank you so much for all the helpful information. I have decided not to offer transportation it isn't worth the risk!
MarinaVanessa 10:38 PM 07-15-2011
I have state farm and I added liability insurance (rider) on top of my regular insurance and it didn't cost me too much ... maybe an extra $60 a year?? Anyway, my liability insurance covers my daycare children even when I'm driving them around. The best bet would be to call around and ask about insurance, cost, coverage etc. Insurance companies are all different and so are their policies.
Tags:transportation, transportation - fee
Reply Up