Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You (Blank) Alone?
Yhadi86 03:57 AM 12-01-2011
Im planning on opening my home daycrae in June so Im deep in the planning phase right now. Im trying to work out scheduling for myself and was wondering how some of you handle certain things all by yourself.
1. How do you take the older kids outside with babies? I live in Houston where it can get very very hot or uncomfortably cold. While an older child can handle those conditions, Im not sure an infants parents would appreciate their babies being outside, but the state requires daily outside play time for toddlers and up, weather permitting.
2. How do you wash your hands and toddlers hands after a diaper change without a sink in a room? Is it safe to leave the room for a minute to do that? TX requires that too
3. How do you entertain the kids while youre cooking? I was planning on putting an educational film on for the kids, and while the kitchen opens up to the living room where I can watch them, I still would want to be close to the babies and keep them away from the toddlers
Those are my concerns for now. Ill add more if I think of any
Pammie 06:58 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by Yhadi86:
Im planning on opening my home daycrae in June so Im deep in the planning phase right now. Im trying to work out scheduling for myself and was wondering how some of you handle certain things all by yourself.
1. How do you take the older kids outside with babies? I live in Houston where it can get very very hot or uncomfortably cold. While an older child can handle those conditions, Im not sure an infants parents would appreciate their babies being outside, but the state requires daily outside play time for toddlers and up, weather permitting. We go outside during the most comfortable part of the day. SOme times of year it's first thing in the morning before it gets too hot - other times of the year it's last thing in the afternoon. We're just flexible. Infants are in strollers or blankets on my covered patio to keep them out of the sun
2. How do you wash your hands and toddlers hands after a diaper change without a sink in a room?My kitchen (and sink) are right beside my livingroom/playroom so I can still see all the kids if I run to the sink Is it safe to leave the room for a minute to do that? I don't leave my kids unattended for even a minute - too much risk of what could happen. If I have to leave the room where I won't be able to see them, they all come with meTX requires that too
3. How do you entertain the kids while youre cooking? I don't do "cooking" when the kids are here. Their breakfast is prepared before anyone arrives, and their lunch is what we had for dinner the day before. The most I have to do is microwave. I have all of the kids sit at the table and color while I get their plates ready. Babies and toddlers are in their highchairs, while preKers are at the table.I was planning on putting an educational film on for the kids, and while the kitchen opens up to the living room where I can watch them, I still would want to be close to the babies and keep them away from the toddlers
My responses are in bold above
Unregistered 07:07 AM 12-01-2011
1. How do you take the older kids outside with babies? I live in Houston where it can get very very hot or uncomfortably cold. While an older child can handle those conditions, Im not sure an infants parents would appreciate their babies being outside, but the state requires daily outside play time for toddlers and up, weather permitting.
2. How do you wash your hands and toddlers hands after a diaper change without a sink in a room? Is it safe to leave the room for a minute to do that? TX requires that too
3. How do you entertain the kids while youre cooking? I was planning on putting an educational film on for the kids, and while the kitchen opens up to the living room where I can watch them, I still would want to be close to the babies and keep them away from the toddlers
#1 you bundle them up and just do it. The hard part is more of when the parents don't bring outside gear needed, boots for wet days, jackets, hats, etc....
#2 get a portable sink- you should have a sink near your changing area, hand sanitizer, or yes leave the room to go do it, just be fast. That's gross, to not be able to wash your hands and a no go.
#3 you don't constantly entertain the kids, you teach them to self play. Use a gate, put the babies in something to keep them safe, high chair, bounce seat, excersaucer, pack and play- separate the two ages. Some people use screen time. Prepare as much as you can before hand so that when lunch comes around your job is easier.

Good luck- Welcome-
small_steps 07:40 AM 12-01-2011
I too am in Texas and I also answered in bold.
1. How do you take the older kids outside with babies? I live in Houston where it can get very very hot or uncomfortably cold. While an older child can handle those conditions, Im not sure an infants parents would appreciate their babies being outside, but the state requires daily outside play time for toddlers and up, weather permitting. Can you plan your outside time during the infant's sleeping time? I have had infants in the past and will do like the above poster said and take them in a stroller or let the jump in their exersaucer if they are big enough.
2. How do you wash your hands and toddlers hands after a diaper change without a sink in a room? Is it safe to leave the room for a minute to do that? TX requires that tooI do leave the room for a few seconds. It doesn't take long and as long as you don't leave them while they're using scissors or something that could result in injury. You also could take them with you. I do not take them all with me (I have 11 by myself so that would be a huge hassle for me. If we are outside and I need to change a diaper or take a child to potty I will make the all come in and go with me, but otherwise I let them play while I change diapers, or help toddlers potty and wash our hands.
3. How do you entertain the kids while youre cooking? I was planning on putting an educational film on for the kids, and while the kitchen opens up to the living room where I can watch them, I still would want to be close to the babies and keep them away from the toddlersI also try to have lunch ready and only have to microwave but when I didn't, I would turn on a tv show (dora, or wonder pets, mickey mouse, something cute that teaches them also) and let them watch for about 25 minutes. In Texas they can watch no more than 2 hours a day and we never watched that much or even close so I didn't mind letting them watch during lunch prep. Good luck with opening your daycare fellow Texan

Christian Mother 08:49 AM 12-01-2011
1. How do you take the older kids outside with babies? I live in Houston where it can get very very hot or uncomfortably cold. While an older child can handle those conditions, Im not sure an infants parents would appreciate their babies being outside, but the state requires daily outside play time for toddlers and up, weather permitting. We are in AZ so the weather is amazing here in that we are able to go out during the mornings about 9:30am during summer time, I have one infant at this time who takes naps at that time. I have a baby monitor that I take with me out side so I can hear her if she cry's. If she wakes up I go and take the kids in with me grab her change her and then we all go back out side. I will put her in a bouncer. In the past I've had one of these covered play areas that have a zipper screen. But I sold it bc I didn't have any use for it...I am thinking of getting another one bc it's great for babies while there out side. Shields them from the sun.
2. How do you wash your hands and toddlers hands after a diaper change without a sink in a room? Is it safe to leave the room for a minute to do that? TX requires that too We have a 2 story...my daycare is located upstairs in the main part of the house which is open to everything...kitchen and playroom and living room. The kids have access to it all. We also have a bathroom in between the kitchen and playroom. So for me I have very easy access to watch hands not to mention the kitchen sink. I recommend in purchasing a portable sink so your able to wash hands regularly.
My kids have been with me for yrs so they understand the routine. They normally are playing in the play room when I am cooking which is open to the kitchen. I can see a lot of what is going on. I only prepare foods in microwave and oven. If foods are being prepared in the oven, then my kids are all in there strapped in seats before i take anything out but they also understand that the oven is hot and they can not touch it. Parents help w/this as well...you can tell bc of the conversations you have w/your children. It is just constantly reinforcing your rules as well. My baby is in a bouncer on the floor by the table so she can see what is going on around her. If I have another baby they are usually in a swing or pnp.

Your learn after doing it a couple yrs what works best for you and your kids...trial by error if you will. It's how we all learn what works and what doesn't. Good luck to you and your daycare!! Hope this has helped you out!!
Yhadi86 11:32 AM 12-10-2011
Thanks so much for the advice gals. And sorry I took so long to reply. Ive been busy finishing up the semester at school.

Im getting nervous about having small infants in my care. Im having a baby in April and as I previously said, I plan on opening in June. Ill finally be graduating with a BA in May. So no more school and in need of child care. It just seems like the perfect time for me to pursue my dream of opening my own bilingual preschool.

Im not afraid of having a group of toddlers and preschoolers in my care with a baby, but once you add another baby into the mix, i feel it will be too overwhelming. Im considering only offering care for 12 month olds and up (even though in TX they are still considered infants until 18 months)

I know I could charge more for young infants, and I know taking infants will be good for the business because they'll probably stay in your care for a very long time. But Im just so scared. Especially when I read all those stories about accidental asphyxiation.
caring4kidsinSD 03:01 PM 12-10-2011
If you dont' feel comfortable don't do it. When I first started I only had 1 infant at a time. Over time and after much experience gained, I added more and more until I reached the max But starting out - Don't max out right away. You need time to adjust to your new role and babies are a lot of work. Gain experience first - then add infants as you feel comfortable.
Abigail 03:06 AM 12-12-2011
I agree with all the others. Also you'll have a young young baby of your own so I would really give your baby the attention you want so you don't regret raising your own kids. You also said you want to teach a bi-lingual PRESCHOOL, not daycare so you shouldn't enroll anyone younger than 12 months. I would have an "infant rate" for 12-18 months then when they're 18 months your licensing considers them a toddler so charge your normal preschool rate or toddler rate if you don't do preschool teaching that young.

The time will FLY BYE. I planned for over a year for my daycare and recently opened for business. I still have a few things here and there to get done but my hard part is getting "the first one' officially enrolled. This site is extremely helpful and supportive.
Tags:how to, new provider, wwyd
Reply Up