Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas/Activities for School Agers
LindaMJ 07:35 PM 08-13-2011
Do you have any ideas/activities for a kindergarten boy and 2nd grade boy? Also, do you know of any helpful websites for simple, inexpensive activities/crafts? Thank you.
Pammie 04:45 PM 08-14-2011
My s/a boys really LOVE legos - they could play with those toys all day! They also like board games, card games, and of course their hand-held video games. Mine LOVE science experiments, building anything, and they beg, beg, beg for me to give them a "challenge".

Last week's "challenge" was using only drinking straws and masking tape, build a contraption that could hold 100 puff balls at least 18" off of the table. They all work together to complete a challenge - and all get a cookie if they do it

I find lots of ideas of crafts and activities for my school age kids by searching for "scout" (cub scout, girl scout) websites.
mom2many 05:04 PM 08-14-2011
My school age boys 7 & 8 also love legos and will spend hours building the coolest things! I got some jigsaw puzzles at the dollar store that they love to do! Card and board games keep them busy and we do lots of arts and crafts using websites like enchanted learning, allkidsnetwork, and kidsoup.com. They also enjoy making things out of clay and painting. I don't have any video games nor do they watch tv and they never complain about being bored!
AfterSchoolMom 06:50 AM 08-15-2011
Ditto legos, duplos, kinex, and lincoln logs. Pretty much anything that you can build with is a big hit here. Also matchbox cars, train tracks, Mr. Potato head, play-doh (with lots of utensils, rollers, and cutters), and painting.

Making things out of paper was REALLY popular here last year (and still is with my own boys). They've made swords, houses, "armor", hats, masks, a guinea pig habitat for a paper guinea pig...you name it. My oldest even showed them how to make paper wallets and fortune tellers, and they love to do that. We go through reams of copy paper and construction paper, but it can all be recycled!
Tags:activities - school-age, school-age activities
Reply Up