Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Front Door Showdown!
Meeko 06:30 AM 12-01-2011
I wrote yesterday about the state pay family that didn't do their paperwork, so didn't get money put on their card for this month.

It is in their contract...no money/no care.

They left yesterday morning very upset that I wouldn't tend the kids today without payment. They knew what the contract says, but thought I would "be nice".

Fast forward to last night at pick up!!!!

Both parents come in to collect the kids (it's usually one or the other)

Mom wanted to know why I am being "so difficult" and not helping them out.

I told her it's not personal...it's business. I told them that I was willing to wait for the payment, if they got the paperwork in quickly and had their case worker call me to confirm. And that I would not apply the late charges this time. I think that was above and beyond what I was required to do.

That wasn't good enough. I "HAD" to tend the kids because the dad had to work. (The mom doesn't work and is under mental health care. Evidently she "can't cope" with watching her own children all day....and yet she's pregnant with #4)...

I told them that was all I can do. I will not work without payment.

Another mom arrived to pick up her baby. As this conversation was going on at the door, she couldn't help but hear.

The dad lost his temper and told me that they would just pull the kids completely then. I told him that was his choice, but that they would then owe me two weeks paid notice.

That was it. He told me I was selfish and mean and that he would be calling my "superiors" (I guess he means licensing.. lol!) and would get me closed down.

I am very capable of taking care of myself, but before I could say "knock yourself out!"....the mom who was picking up let him have a piece of her mind!!!!!!!!!!!!

She's a young, first time mom...but she and her husband are some of the best clients I have ever had in all my years of child care. For a living, she works for the State Dept. of Recovery Services......meaning she spends her days chasing deadbeat dads etc. She's not shy and the girl can TALK!!!!

She went off on them like I have never seen. She said how dare they talk to me that way. She told the dad that she was going to call licensing first thing in the morning and tell them I was a superb provider and that they were rude and wrong etc etc etc. She went on and on. They just stood there with their mouths open.

The dad started backtracking like crazy and apologized to me!

However......I told them not to come back.

And after they quietly left, I hugged the young mom!!!! She apologized for her outburst, but said she couldn't help it. I told her not to worry and that she was my hero!!!

Not sure if they will try and make waves or not, but bring it on!!! My great clients outnumber the bad ones, so I'm happy!

I will miss the kids.....and I know they will have a hard time finding a provider willing to provide 12 hours of care care a day for three kids (one is an infant) and another on the way. But I guess they need to learn the hard way. I WON'T be taking them back!
MyAngels 06:35 AM 12-01-2011
To both you and your young mom/great client: You Go Girls!
KEG123 06:42 AM 12-01-2011
Hahahaha, best post I've read in a while.
Cat Herder 06:46 AM 12-01-2011
I am glad it is over for you. What an awesome DCM you have!!!
Meyou 06:48 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:

ITA! What a great DCM to stand up for you.
Pammie 06:51 AM 12-01-2011
Boy, I'd be baking that mom a BIG batch of homemade cookies today:-):-)

It means the world to me when one of my clients jumps to my defense.

A few years ago, I had a new client that went through my list of references that I gave her at the interview, and called each and every current client, and gave them a list of "things" that if they ever saw me do with/to their child that they should call her immediately. Little did she know that each and every one of those clients reported back to me about the phone call. One dcm even went so far as to tell this woman that, if she arrived to "pick up my kids, and Pammie had every single one of the kids hanging from the ceiling by their big toes, she nor any of the other parents wouldn't think twice about it." That's the faith that my clients have in my care:-) Needless to say, the crazy mom was terminated the next day.

I'm sure your life will be less stressful without having to deal with this family!
AnneCordelia 07:04 AM 12-01-2011
WOW!! She (and you!) was AWESOME!!!
mommiesherie 07:08 AM 12-01-2011
Wow that's an awesome mom!!!!
youretooloud 07:14 AM 12-01-2011
I love stories like that!!

Honestly, I'm really tired of the "Humanity owes me money because I exsist, and I don't want to earn any money" attitude.

The "Occupy Wallstreet" protesters have run that concept into the ground lately.

Keep us updated on anything that might come up with this story. It makes us all feel good to see the provider come out ahead.
wdmmom 07:17 AM 12-01-2011
That is so awesome! Great story! Thanks for sharing!
small_steps 07:21 AM 12-01-2011
That's awesome! Yay for you for having the backbone to do that and Yay for the mom who defended a great provider. I think the dad was a bully...probably thinking he could bully you into doing what he wanted. That was uncalled for on his part. I bet he wouldn't go to his job and work if he had to wait on his paycheck a month or two. Good for you.
Meeko 07:21 AM 12-01-2011
Thanks everyone! I actually feel really good. I will miss the money in the bank! But we are fine and won't be struggling...and I usually fill spots quickly. I already have a dcg here this morning as a drop in that used to be with me last year. They moved out of town, but her mom is here on business today and tomorrow and called me last night to see if I had room to take her.. well guess what?! LOL! Lovely to see them both!
sahm2three 08:24 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:

Michelle 08:41 AM 12-01-2011
In Ca. we can get the 2 weeks notice pay from the agency regardless of how it ended. Just submit it in writing and you should get that 2 weeks.

Kudos to both you and that mom.
I had a mom that got free daycare because of mental issues also.
She had two kids and was pregnant with # 3 and slept all day ,went out with friends, and went to an occasional Dr. appt. while kids were in care for 10 hours a day. I got paid for it but one day I had to take my son to the e.r. and told her I couldn't get them til later and she had a royal fit and threatened to drop the kids that day!!! Her sleep was that important!
DCMom 08:43 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Thanks everyone! I actually feel really good. I will miss the money in the bank! But we are fine and won't be struggling...and I usually fill spots quickly. I already have a dcg here this morning as a drop in that used to be with me last year. They moved out of town, but her mom is here on business today and tomorrow and called me last night to see if I had room to take her.. well guess what?! LOL! Lovely to see them both!
When one door closes another opens

Sometimes you just have to take a stand and I'm glad your awesome dcm was standing with you! Good job
Zoe 08:49 AM 12-01-2011
That is so wonderful. I'd be hugging dcm too. What a wonderful woman!!!
Ariana 09:12 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I love stories like that!!

Honestly, I'm really tired of the "Humanity owes me money because I exsist, and I don't want to earn any money" attitude.

The "Occupy Wallstreet" protesters have run that concept into the ground lately.

Keep us updated on anything that might come up with this story. It makes us all feel good to see the provider come out ahead.
Don't mean to hijack but the "occupy Wallstreet" people are upset about working sooo hard for little money while big wigs at the top make all the money. 1% of the population makes 90% of the money. People in the highest tax brackets saw their incomes rise by 200% in the past 5 year while the the "middle class" wages shrunk by 40%.
youretooloud 09:47 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Don't mean to hijack but the "occupy Wallstreet" people are upset about working sooo hard for little money while big wigs at the top make all the money. 1% of the population makes 90% of the money. People in the highest tax brackets saw their incomes rise by 200% in the past 5 year while the the "middle class" wages shrunk by 40%.
That, I agree with. BUT, how many of those people still "occupying" wallstreet still have a job that they go to every day?

Why must the state spend so much money to control them? Why does the city have to spend so much money to clean up after them? If the state and the city have to spend money to clean up, and refill trash bags, and sweep the street, and pay for police, then where does the money come from? In my state, it comes from the public schools.

You know what would make an impression on them? Taking your money out of the big banks and put it in a Credit union. Buying a three year old car for cash instead of taking out a loan. Making sure you can actually afford a loan even if the interest rate goes up. (barring job loss or illness) *and by "you" I mean the general public...not you, you.
laundrymom 10:04 AM 12-01-2011
Give supermoma high five for me!!!!!
Ariana 10:07 AM 12-01-2011
That, I agree with. BUT, how many of those people still "occupying" wallstreet still have a job that they go to every day?

Why must the state spend so much money to control them? Why does the city have to spend so much money to clean up after them? If the state and the city have to spend money to clean up, and refill trash bags, and sweep the street, and pay for police, then where does the money come from? In my state, it comes from the public schools.

You know what would make an impression on them? Taking your money out of the big banks and put it in a Credit union. Buying a three year old car for cash instead of taking out a loan. Making sure you can actually afford a loan even if the interest rate goes up. (barring job loss or illness) *and by "you" I mean the general public...not you, you.
Yep I agree with this! It was a good protest with good intentions and then it just went bad. Having said that, sometimes media portrays any sort of gov't dissent in a bad light. I noticed up here they'd only interview the punk with the green hair and multiple piercings eventhough there were also lawyers protesting kwim?

Anyway I'm still hijacking
PitterPatter 10:46 AM 12-01-2011
Wow what a Christmas gift that was!! I would pick out an extra special Christmas card for that client!!

Kudos to u both!
countrymom 11:01 AM 12-01-2011
what an awesome story, and yay to the super hero mom.
Country Kids 01:40 PM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Thank you for explaining what this was all about. I haven't really been following it so wasn't sure what it was about. Makes sense now!
Country Kids 01:41 PM 12-01-2011

Great post! From what I've seen of these people it makes me wonder. In our area we had one die of a meth overdose in the camp they made!!!
daycare 01:46 PM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Great post! From what I've seen of these people it makes me wonder. In our area we had one die of a meth overdose in the camp they made!!!
someone in cali was killed...they were shacking up with homeless people and all sorts of walks of life.... I think this whole thing has gone way too far.

BUT as a child I would see much worse demonstrations like this go on. NOt saying that its ok, I think that those people are nuts too..
Kaddidle Care 02:48 PM 12-01-2011
Ariana, please start a new thread in the off topic section if you don't mind. I'd like to chime in but not on this thread.

Meek - love your name - "and the meek shall inherit the earth".

Please give that special Mom a hug from me too! That was wonderful! So many people wait until the knuckleheads are gone to make a comment but she took them full on!

I think a free date night is in order for her! I hope her child is a good one - I'm betting he/she is!
MarinaVanessa 03:32 PM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
In Ca. we can get the 2 weeks notice pay from the agency regardless of how it ended. Just submit it in writing and you should get that 2 weeks.
You're lucky, we don't get ours paid anymore. I'm in southern CA and we just got notice a few months back about this. They will no longer pay us for unexcused absences (they used to pay for 3) and after the 3rd unexcused absence the famly gets kicked off. Our final 2 weeks of childcare no longer gets paid if the child doesn't attend. They even get a limit of 10 days now for excused absences and I think another 10 days where the child is absent and it's "in the best nterest of the child" like a holiday, family comes to town or Dr's visits.

It depends on what program they are on and how much funding they have. This year's budget cuts forced the program that my state paid family gets funding from to cut back.
Reply Up