Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Funny Saying, I Don't Understand
daycare 05:53 PM 10-11-2016
so for as long as I can remember, I have said this saying when I feel like things are out of control.

"running around like a chicken, with it's head cut off" I heard someone use it many years ago and must have laughed so hard I couldnt breathe.

I was at a training this past weekend and I said it there. I was talking about myself when saying it. Another person in the training said to me don't say that anymore it's not politically correct??????

OMG I am so red in my face, I don't even know what to say to this lady. I think to myself, I say this all the time and everyone laughs, no one has ever seem to be offended by it.

I did tell the lady I am so sorry, she just kind of moved her shoulders up and down at me with a grin on her face.

can you guys please tell me what I said that is so wrong? I looked it up on-line but didn't see anything that lead me to believe that it was a bad thing. I have to go back to class with this lady tomorrow.
CalCare 06:03 PM 10-11-2016
What!? Politically incorrect to vegetarians maybe? Lol I don't get the problem. Good luck tmrw!
racemom 06:07 PM 10-11-2016
Well considering chickens do run around when you cut there heads off I see nothing wrong with saying it! If you are feeling brave, ask her what is not PC about it, I would love to know her response.
daycare 06:16 PM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
What!? Politically incorrect to vegetarians maybe? Lol I don't get the problem. Good luck tmrw!
lol...that it too funny, especially because I am vegan...

OMG, you guys are making me feel so much better. I am feeling so uneasy about having to go to class tomorrow and face her. I am actually a little stressed about it. I really do wonder what she thinks I said.
Cat Herder 06:23 PM 10-11-2016
Tell her she is being culturally insensitive and should perhaps enroll in more family engagement and diversity training.

5 points if you manage to work it into the Farm to Table, Healthy Eating section...
daycare 06:28 PM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Tell her she is being culturally insensitive and should perhaps enroll in more family engagement and diversity training.

5 points if you manage to work it into the Farm to Table, Healthy Eating section...
lol omg you are too funny.... you all are making me feel so much better. My other half is out of town this week and I didn't have a chance to tell him last night before he left.

I asked my oldest son and he just laughed at me and said, why are you so gullible and believe everything anyone tells you. I hope I am not that bad.....

this class is about social emotional and behavior management.
lovemydaycare0912 06:29 PM 10-11-2016
I've heard the term before and don't understand how it isn't politically correct. But nowadays, everyone is offended by everything. She'll be okay.
Cat Herder 06:32 PM 10-11-2016
Here are the facts.... not sure why it has anything to do with politics or correctness to this lady. Such a weird statement from her. A very common expression.

"Yes, chickens really can run around with their heads cut off — and Modern Farmer has the explanation behind how the animals can survive decapitation.

The answer often lies in the way chickens are killed — if a butcher slices a chicken's head too high, the slice may miss the jugular veins. A too-high slice can also take away the chicken's forebrain but leave the brain stem and cerebellum, allowing the bird to continue moving and, in some cases, breathing.

Dr. Wayne J. Kuenzel, a poultry physiologist and neurobiologist at the University of Arkansas, told Modern Farmer that chicken skulls have larger-than-normal eye openings, allowing the brain to move higher in the skulls post-slice. "Because the brain is at that angle, you still have the functional part that's so critical for survival intact," Dr. Kuenzel told the magazine.

However, Modern Farmer does have a caveat: "Just because your chicken dances upon impact doesn't necessarily mean that it's still alive." A headless chicken could actually be dead but have nerves that are still moving. "The minute you separate the brain from the neck, just like in humans, you're going to get tremendous movement of the limbs," Dr. Kuenzel says. - Meghan DeMaria, The Week"
daycare 06:34 PM 10-11-2016
Here are the facts.... not sure why it has anything to do with politics or correctness to this lady. Such a weird statement from her. A very common expression.

"Yes, chickens really can run around with their heads cut off — and Modern Farmer has the explanation behind how the animals can survive decapitation.

The answer often lies in the way chickens are killed — if a butcher slices a chicken's head too high, the slice may miss the jugular veins. A too-high slice can also take away the chicken's forebrain but leave the brain stem and cerebellum, allowing the bird to continue moving and, in some cases, breathing.

Dr. Wayne J. Kuenzel, a poultry physiologist and neurobiologist at the University of Arkansas, told Modern Farmer that chicken skulls have larger-than-normal eye openings, allowing the brain to move higher in the skulls post-slice. "Because the brain is at that angle, you still have the functional part that's so critical for survival intact," Dr. Kuenzel told the magazine.

However, Modern Farmer does have a caveat: "Just because your chicken dances upon impact doesn't necessarily mean that it's still alive." A headless chicken could actually be dead but have nerves that are still moving. "The minute you separate the brain from the neck, just like in humans, you're going to get tremendous movement of the limbs," Dr. Kuenzel says. - Meghan DeMaria, The Week"
omg so this is actually a true thing....lol OMG I am now feeling really dumb. I just think that it was idiom this whole time.

CH- you are so smart, that is very interesting to know. Gross, but interesting. lol

I don't know what this lady is talking about, I am afraid to ask her...
daycare 06:37 PM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
I've heard the term before and don't understand how it isn't politically correct. But nowadays, everyone is offended by everything. She'll be okay.
lol....that is so true. I was at a class few months ago and I said hey do you guys want to work on this together. One of the teachers told me, it would be better if you addressed everyone in a way that wasn't offensive. I really think that CA is a very sensitive state.

I really was not referring to all of the women in the class as guys.

oh and she told me you can try saying ya'll instead and I told her but I am not from the south. she didn't say anything back..

ugh...
Cat Herder 06:42 PM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
omg so this is actually a true thing....lol OMG I am now feeling really dumb. I just think that it was idiom this whole time.

CH- you are so smart, that is very interesting to know. Gross, but interesting. lol

I don't know what this lady is talking about, I am afraid to ask her...
It refers to running around without a functioning brain. Full of intent and nervous energy, but without function.

It think it is a southern thing but then again, as a southerner, I think everything is.
daycare 06:45 PM 10-11-2016
It refers to running around without a functioning brain. Full of intent and nervous energy, but without function.

It think it is a southern thing but then again, as a southerner, I think everything is.
hahahhah yes, this does sound like me. I do run around without my brain on half the time... My friend used to tell me, if your head was not attached, you would probably lose that too....
Cat Herder 06:46 PM 10-11-2016
lol....that is so true. I was at a class few months ago and I said hey do you guys want to work on this together. One of the teachers told me, it would be better if you addressed everyone in a way that wasn't offensive. I really think that CA is a very sensitive state.

oh and she told me you can try saying ya'll instead and I told her but I am not from the south. she didn't say anything back..

ugh...
Y'all is taken. Oh, and these women sound "off" to me, ahem... bless their hearts.
DaveA 06:53 PM 10-11-2016
Oh Lord- is there anything people aren't offended at anymore?:I take offense to their being offended.

And by the way- they can actually run a pretty good distance. During high school Ag class when we did poultry judging I found out they can make out the shop door and on to the track the girl's PE class was running on. Needless to say it didn't end well. After the teacher got done laughing he looked over and said "Kid- you're on your own!"
daycare 06:57 PM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Oh Lord- is there anything people aren't offended at anymore?:I take offense to their being offended.

And by the way- they can actually run a pretty good distance. During high school Ag class when we did poultry judging I found out they can make out the shop door and on to the track the girl's PE class was running on. Needless to say it didn't end well. After the teacher got done laughing he looked over and said "Kid- you're on your own!"
not sure what AG class is, but oh boy is that a very funny story.

I am starting to feel like I don't know how to talk to people anymore, just makes me love my DCKS that much more. they love me no matter what I say. I say all kinds of words wrong I am sure.

I saw this article that was headlined

2015, the year america was offended by everything.
DaveA 07:06 PM 10-11-2016
not sure what AG class is, but oh boy is that a very funny story.
AG= Agriculture. Covered aspects of farming, livestock, welding, mechanics, & agriculture-related business.
Unregistered 07:14 PM 10-11-2016
Maybe she is a descendant of the Olsen family & takes offence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken
daycare 07:16 PM 10-11-2016
AG= Agriculture. Covered aspects of farming, livestock, welding, mechanics, & agriculture-related business.
I have never heard of this before, you did this in your highschool?

we don't have any programs like that here where I live and if we do, I guess my kids were not interested in them. I didn't go to high school in USA, so I wasn't sure what that meant.

sounds very interesting.
Mike 07:18 PM 10-11-2016
A friend of my fathers was a farmer and when we were kids, he showed us once how the chicken can keep going without the head. It was kind of funny, but then I remember thinking, "I hope that doesn't mean it feels the pain". I've heard both ways, part of the brain was still there, so it was still alive, and that it's actually dead and just the nerves still going.

I don't see anything politically incorrect in that joke. To me, it always meant someone is very active, but not accomplishing anything. They weren't thinking, or thinking straight, so the joke basically told them to stop and get a hold of themselves.
lovemydaycare0912 07:29 PM 10-11-2016
Yeah on my Facebook I see people all the time where people are offended if you refer to everyone as guys and I'm just so annoyed by it. I say you guys all the time, so Whoops! Oh well. When I was younger, life was so much more simpler.
daycare 07:37 PM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
A friend of my fathers was a farmer and when we were kids, he showed us once how the chicken can keep going without the head. It was kind of funny, but then I remember thinking, "I hope that doesn't mean it feels the pain". I've heard both ways, part of the brain was still there, so it was still alive, and that it's actually dead and just the nerves still going.

I don't see anything politically incorrect in that joke. To me, it always meant someone is very active, but not accomplishing anything. They weren't thinking, or thinking straight, so the joke basically told them to stop and get a hold of themselves.
This made me laugh and feel sad at the same time. I've never been on a real farm, only at a very small one at the amusement parks.
I bet that had to be an experience.
e.j. 07:40 PM 10-11-2016
These days it does feel as though no matter is said, someone will find a way to be offended by it. I'd also be curious to know why the woman in your class said it wasn't pc to use that idiom. I wonder if she's a PETA member??

When I was a kid, I had a homework assignment that had to do with idioms. One of them was "running around like a chicken with its head cut off". I laughed about it but then my mother told me about the day she came home from school and found a chicken running around her front yard with its head cut off. Apparently her father had brought it home with the intention of using it for dinner once it got big enough but she had grown attached to it and thought of it as a pet. She said it was very traumatizing at the time. I never thought to ask her but my guess is she probably had a bowl of cereal for dinner that night!
daycare 07:40 PM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Yeah on my Facebook I see people all the time where people are offended if you refer to everyone as guys and I'm just so annoyed by it. I say you guys all the time, so Whoops! Oh well. When I was younger, life was so much more simpler.
Just when I finally start to really learn English I am back to getting it all wrong again. Seems like everything keeps changing.

I'm not offended by much. Lol
racemom 08:22 PM 10-11-2016

So are you saying people without a functioning brain are offended? If so I think I figured out why it is not PC!
Unregistered 01:51 AM 10-12-2016
That is a saying that I've heard since childhood and I've used it plenty of times! How can it be politically Incorrect?

Also, I always say, "You guys'. When I taught kindergarten I'd say something like, Hey, guys quiet down." I noticed once how often I said it and actually wondered why I used the word that way.

I felt it meant "all of you". I wonder if it's a term used in certain parts of the country and not others. I should pay attention to see if I hear others using it this way.
Josiegirl 02:39 AM 10-12-2016
This is why I'm a very quiet person and say very little to adults, this is why I work with kids. No matter what comes out of my mouth around adults, I feel as if I'm second guessing every word I said to make sure I didn't offend someone.
Sure would love to place my non-filtered 83 yo neighbor in that crowd. It takes a lot to offend me and he is totally offensive to me. Or ahem, one of the presidential candidates.

New motto: You're not living life to the fullest if you don't offend at least 2 people everyday.
MissAnn 04:02 AM 10-12-2016
She would probably enjoy the Johnny Verbeck song.

http://barrygoldberg.net/sillysongs/sausages.htm
daycarediva 04:10 AM 10-12-2016
Y'all is taken. Oh, and these women sound "off" to me, ahem... bless their hearts.
Yes ma'am, bless them!

Poor dc, that lady was crazy. Being offended at 'you guys', this country needs to put it's big girl panties on.
DaveA 04:16 AM 10-12-2016
I have never heard of this before, you did this in your highschool?

we don't have any programs like that here where I live and if we do, I guess my kids were not interested in them. I didn't go to high school in USA, so I wasn't sure what that meant.

sounds very interesting.
Oh yeah- I spent 3 years in Ag classes. Would have been 4 but I took Spanish my freshman year. It wasn't just working with tools or hands on stuff. There was a lot of work on contracts, business practices, computers (late 80s/early 90s versions), genetics, construction basics, economics, etc. You also had to do a year long project management where you did a certain task from start to finish documenting everything such as costs and time. It could be anything: I can't remember one years, but I know fixed up a pond that was dying out one year and restored an antique shotgun and made and sold knives for mountain man reenactors another. Sadly many schools have cut or marginalized classes like this, shop, arts, music, and consumer economics.

Originally Posted by e.j.:
These days it does feel as though no matter is said, someone will find a way to be offended by it. I'd also be curious to know why the woman in your class said it wasn't pc to use that idiom. I wonder if she's a PETA member??
I don't even joke about that organization. Years ago I did a craft fair and my table was next to someone raising money for them. All my knives had leather sheaths and half of them had horn or bone handles. Let's just say I was not her favorite person. 2 days of getting grouched at was not fun. The aftermath of her passing my info around to her buddies for them to call and email complaints to was even worse.
Blackcat31 05:33 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Ding ding ding!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
(Oops! That is probably highly offensive too)

Statements such as "Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" is offensive to vegans.

It’s unacceptable and offensive to express violent and hateful speech about animals

"When we speak of animals as if they are dirty, worthless, stupid, disposable “its” lacking any identity or value, it allows us to stay disconnected to the reality of what we are doing to them. We treat them like property with out actions, our language and our laws. We devalue them in the most casual of contexts."

http://bitesizevegan.com/ethics-and-...-dont-know-it/
Snowmom 06:24 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Statements such as "Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" is offensive to vegans.

It’s unacceptable and offensive to express violent and hateful speech about animals

"When we speak of animals as if they are dirty, worthless, stupid, disposable “its” lacking any identity or value, it allows us to stay disconnected to the reality of what we are doing to them. We treat them like property with out actions, our language and our laws. We devalue them in the most casual of contexts."

Too funny.
This saying (the chicken) actually rings especially true for me.
I grew up on my grandparents farm. I can attest to the fact that yes, the chickens do run (or flop for a better word) with their heads cut off. So do turkeys.
Many, many turkeys. (oh, the memories)
My grandfather inadvertently made me a vegetarian because of it.
As a vegetarian, it's not offensive to me.
But yes... some vegans I know might take issue.
Cat Herder 06:31 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
So are you saying people without a functioning brain are offended? If so I think I figured out why it is not PC!
No. I was saying the decapitated chicken literally has no forebrain. Decapitated humans, to my knowledge, cannot be offended by anything. I have never heard of one surviving. Other than the headless horseman, of course. Yay, Halloween!
Attached: headless horseman.jpg (52.6 KB) 
midaycare 06:46 AM 10-12-2016
So ridiculous. I say it all the time.

And the reality behind it is just one reason why I'm vegan. Yuck.

But the saying, come on! Geez, can't say anything nowadays.
Mike 06:49 AM 10-12-2016
I don't even joke about that organization. Years ago I did a craft fair and my table was next to someone raising money for them. All my knives had leather sheaths and half of them had horn or bone handles. Let's just say I was not her favorite person. 2 days of getting grouched at was not fun. The aftermath of her passing my info around to her buddies for them to call and email complaints to was even worse.
I guess the person who organized that craft show didn't think about that in the setting up. Did her talking about you happen to get you any customers?
midaycare 06:58 AM 10-12-2016

I'm sorry but, some vegans need to chill. Most vegans are super cool. Then you get the militant ones. I'm vegan and this totally doesn't bother me.

Most vegans on YouTube are more militant. The online vegan drama on YouTube is off the charts crazy.

Most of us don't even tell people we're vegan so we don't get labeled as militant or crazy. Or hear the stupid joke about "Vegan is the Indian word for bad hunter". Haha, go eat your burger that you in no way killed and processed yourself.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm sorry but, some vegans need to chill. Most vegans are super cool. Then you get the militant ones. I'm vegan and this totally doesn't bother me.

Most vegans on YouTube are more militant. The online vegan drama on YouTube is off the charts crazy.

Most of us don't even tell people we're vegan so we don't get labeled as militant or crazy. Or hear the stupid joke about "Vegan is the Indian word for bad hunter". Haha, go eat your burger that you in no way killed and processed yourself.
Everyone needs to chill
Some people measure importance by how many things offend them...

midaycare 07:14 AM 10-12-2016
Everyone needs to chill

Controlled Chaos 07:29 AM 10-12-2016
Everyone needs to chill

Love it!
daycare 07:46 AM 10-12-2016
what a great way to start my day.

BC you are so funny...

I am sure you could be right about the reason for it not being PC towards a person who is Vegan. Funniest part is that I am Vegan and I find it hysterical.
Mike 07:47 AM 10-12-2016
Everyone needs to chill

Too many people take too many things too seriously.
Mom2Two 11:13 AM 10-12-2016

Yeah, they say it in Australia too. My mother always said it: "Running around like a chook without a head."
laundrymom 11:40 AM 10-12-2016
A vegan offended that someone used the phrase in conversation? Now that is just petty.

I say you use it every single time you are around that person. If they're offended it might just toughen their skin a bit.
what a great way to start my day.

BC you are so funny...

I am sure you could be right about the reason for it not being PC towards a person who is Vegan. Funniest part is that I am Vegan and I find it hysterical.

EntropyControlSpecialist 12:34 PM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Yes ma'am, bless them!

Poor dc, that lady was crazy. Being offended at 'you guys', this country needs to put it's big girl panties on.
I agree. Gracious me!!

daycare 01:25 PM 10-12-2016
lol....OMG I am crying with laughter. I have never heard that saying before...... I am going to use that one, but obviously not at the training tonight.

This thread is just cracking me up.

i was starting to fear even talking to people anymore. I did learn something new out of all of this. thanks for all of the laughter and insight.
Rockgirl 01:43 PM 10-12-2016

This thread is just cracking me up.
Excuse me....I find this statement offensive because of the size of my butt.
daycare 01:45 PM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Excuse me....I find this statement offensive because of the size of my butt.
lol.....omg i just spit grapes all over the screen...........
284878 07:42 PM 10-12-2016

ugh...
Your teacher needs to take grammar class. It is grammatical correct to use the male word to describe either or both sexes. The last time I was corrected, I let the clerk know that I was using proper grammar. (To me proper grammar out ranks political correctness)

Proper Grammar -
He must remove his shoes himself.

This is how my handbook is written up. No he/she only he.

You can check your grammar here

http://www.chompchomp.com/

(BTW I use ya'll all the time, I not from the south either.)

"It think it is a southern thing but then again, as a southerner, I think everything is."

Nah, it is a country thing, city folk just do not understand. jk

"Too funny.
This saying (the chicken) actually rings especially true for me.
I grew up on my grandparents farm. I can attest to the fact that yes, the chickens do run (or flop for a better word) with their heads cut off. So do turkeys.
Many, many turkeys. (oh, the memories)
My grandfather inadvertently made me a vegetarian because of it."

I grew up with chickens, my sister and I had roosters attack us. When it was time, my dad did the butchering, my brother and I plucked the feathers and mom (and sisters) packaged them up for the freezer. We all still eat chicken including my brother who is allergic to chicken (I am allergic to the eggs). His wife tells him not to eat chicken but he still sneaks it. ugh. My sisters do not like touching raw chicken though. After we were done we would all fight over the organs, it was like a treat for all our hard work. (Butcher day is one of my favorite childhood memories)
daycare 08:54 PM 10-12-2016
Went to class. The lady wasn't even there. All that worry for nothing. Lol.

Still going to wonder what she was referring to. Even if she was there want like I was going I ask her.
DaveA 04:18 AM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist:
I agree. Gracious me!!

I'M OFFENDED!!!!!!! I should be able to my panties on also!! Umm.... Wait a second.......That doesn't sound right.........nevermind

And Daycare- if you had never heard of Ag class my school's FFA (Future Farmers of America) Appreciation week would have been hysterical to you. We had "drive your tractor to school" day. 40 tractors (in a high school of 200) in the parking lot. Plus several riding lawn mowers from smart a@@ town kids.
Stephnrich 07:09 AM 10-13-2016
Lol! I'm a pescetarian, and am in no way offended. That lady needs to get her panties out of a wad. Seriously, people are ridiculous.
Tags:funny, politically correct
Reply Up