Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>DCM Didn't Sign Transportation Consent
MarinaVanessa 02:15 PM 07-01-2011
I have a newer DC family at the moment that when they signed up DCM didnt want to sign the transportation consent form because she said she didn't feel comfortable having him driven around. It wasn't a big thing then (about a month ago) or anything to be concerned about since we walk everywhere anyway. Last month was kind of a muggy month for us so instead of walking to the park we would take short walks within my condo complex and take balls and toys with us and that has worked out.

Today the weather was beautiful and a little warmer than usual and the kids wanted to walk to the park. I packed my 7mo DS in the double stroller, the front was empty and I took a front carrier with us just in case. My 2 DCBs (21mo and 19mo), 3yo DCG and 6yo DD walked which is normal for us. Well the park is a 10 minute walk from my home and where we usually go it's 3 minutes tops. We make it to the park and play for an hour and on our way back DCBs both are tired so I took DS out and put him in the carrier and pushed the double stroller with 2 almost two-year olds. Let me tell you I am 100% convinced that this is NOT going to work. I was so tired when we got back that I was fighting to stay awake while kids napped.

On top of that we had a great arrangement in the am during school where my SIL would pick DD up and take her to school (my nephew goes to the same school). Well she has moved and will no longer be doing that. 20 minutes after this conversation and my DH calls to tell me that he will no longer be able to take a late lunch to pick DD up from school to bring her home. So that leaves me stuck with taking her and picking her up from school starting next month.

So my dilemma is how to approach the subject with DCM about allowing me to transport her son. Not only would I like to be able to drop off and pick up my DD but I'd like to be able to drive the kids to the park instead of walking vi should add that I live in a condo and we don't have a backyard just a small back patio. The kids love to go to the park and I would hate to keep our walks to only the green grassy area within our complex.

I need to figure out how to word my conversation so that she feels good about having me drive them. I don't want her to go elsewhere but ultimately if she doesn't change her mind then I'll have to let her go next month. I need to convince her to allow vehicle transportation AND to stay lol. Any ideas? I was thinking I would bake her some cookies first lol.
familyschoolcare 02:26 PM 07-01-2011
start with it would really be great to be able to take the kids to the park also I will have to take my child to and from school next year my other arrangement fell through, and I thought taking the children to on a field trip to the library (for example) might be fun.

Basically sandwich you needing to transport your child between why it would benefit hers. Do not hid the fact that you need to pick child up from school just do not flaunt it, or make it seam like the biggest reason for the transportation.

Did mom tell you why she was uncomfortable with the child being driven around maybe that issue could be addressed. A few years ago the big thing was not to sign a conceivably to transport unless it stated that the child would be place in an approve for their age/weight car seat.
Country Kids 02:33 PM 07-01-2011
I am in the same boat! I have a some parents that signed but are not that comfortable with me transporting at all. I was the same way at first-no big deal but then realized that I do not like to be stuck in my house at my house for 50+ hours a week. Also I can never get my own children any where and it has actually been a situation that is causing me burn out with my childcare. I have transported a few times (maybe two?) but could tell the parents weren't real yeah about it. I wish I had just stuck to my guns during the interview and said this is how it is but I didn't.

Come the fall though I think I'm just going to say this is what we do, these are the field trips we are taking and go from there. Field trips have always been a big part of my program and I feel like we are missing out on so much because of this and I know my own children are really starting to despise it.
daycare 02:37 PM 07-01-2011
I had a parent that did the same thing. they enrolled in the fall so it was not a huge deal a the time. I did tell them that i would be going back on schedule with our normal plans after a month or so.
Time came and mom said that she was still not sure about allowing the DCK to go on outtings that I would need to drive. So I made a new rule.

Any parent that wishes not to have thier child participate in activities that will involve having to be transported must make alternative arrangements for thier child and will not be credited for the day.

This mom ended up going else where... and I didnt mind because it was not fair to the rest of the kids who were used to going to these places and parents who expected me to keep up on our outtings.

or you can always hire someone to stay with the child and then the parent can pay $x amount to cover the fee that you will need to pay an assistant!!
safechner 03:20 PM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I had a parent that did the same thing. they enrolled in the fall so it was not a huge deal a the time. I did tell them that i would be going back on schedule with our normal plans after a month or so.
Time came and mom said that she was still not sure about allowing the DCK to go on outtings that I would need to drive. So I made a new rule.

Any parent that wishes not to have thier child participate in activities that will involve having to be transported must make alternative arrangements for thier child and will not be credited for the day.

This mom ended up going else where... and I didnt mind because it was not fair to the rest of the kids who were used to going to these places and parents who expected me to keep up on our outtings.

or you can always hire someone to stay with the child and then the parent can pay $x amount to cover the fee that you will need to pay an assistant!!
I agree with Daycare 100%.
momma2girls 04:42 PM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by safechner:
I agree with Daycare 100%.
I also agree!!
Abigail 04:52 PM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

OR cut out the liability for using your own assistant and make a rule they may not attend on field trip days.
TBird 05:02 PM 07-01-2011
I haven't had this problem yet. I let parents know from JUMP (the interview) that if you don't want your child to be transported, this is NOT the daycare program for you!!!

The most recent parents I had start have a 6 month old. I let them know at the interview that we are an "on the go" group and if that is going to be a problem, then this is not the group for them (in exactly those words) and they didn't have any problem with it. As a matter of fact they said they didn't want their baby inside all dang day long (of course being mindful of the summer heat...which is no problem since I don't like to be directly in it myself).

I know people can change up and act crazy even though they've agreed to something but if you tell them at the interview it's really their choice and it's their responsibility to make the right one.
meganlavonnesmommy 05:13 PM 07-01-2011
I tell parents up front that if they are not comfortable with my transporting, then they need to find another home for their child. It is a MUST in my home. That being said, I dont do it often, but I like to be mobile, and hate being stuck in the house everyday.

I always inform my parents of any outings ahead of time, and always give them the option of not bringing their child that day, and do not offer a credit if they do. So far no parents have kept their kids home.

From the point of view of the parent, I think most are afraid at first because they dont know you, you are a stranger. Now that they have been in your care for a month, I am sure they feel more comfortable with you. I also think most are afraid to sign a waiver like that ( I have one also) because they think it gives you free rein to go anywhere anytime you want to.

I explain to all my parents that outings are limited, and they will ALWAYS be informed ahead of time when we will be transporting, where we are going, and the times. I limit my outings to things like the park, library, the school, the pool, special field trips. NEVER do I go to the grocery store, Walmart, or anything that is not related to the kids.

My waiver also states that I will at all times have current auto insurance, everyone in the vehicle will be in proper carseats at all times, I will obey speed limits at all times, and I will never talk on my cell phone while driving. I state that I have been driving for over 20 years and have never been in an accident. That my own children are in my vehicle as well, and I will treat them all as very precious cargo.

Just like Tbird, I tell parents that we are a very active group, and if that is a problem, then I am not the home for them. 99% of the time the parents prefer this, vs a home where their child sees the same 4 walls each day.

Just in the last month my group has gone to the park, on a picnic, to the pool, the library multiple times, a science show and a bouncy house place. Just be honest, open and they will appreciate it.
sharlan 06:14 PM 07-01-2011
I let my parents know up front, that I don't stay home. We often go somewhere on a moment's notice.
cheerfuldom 06:25 PM 07-01-2011
Bake cookies?! You don't have to convince her like you are doing something wrong. Just lay out the plan in a simple but firm way. I know you don't want to lose her but at this point you are stuck, she has to let you drive with her child or she has to find another provider. Obviously you have to pick up your daughter so the subject is non-negotiable. Tell her you understand her concerns but its a take it or leave it situation. Reiterate your experience, safety measures, plans and driving record (which I am assuming is good). Hope it works out but don't waste your time baking. Just my opinion.
sharlan 07:24 PM 07-01-2011
I would just let her know that due to changes in circumstances you have to take your daughter to school and pick her up afterwards. Things change. The parents either have to go with the flow or move to another daycare. Your obligations to your child don't end just because you operate a daycare.
Childminder 09:08 PM 07-01-2011
I had this happen and it really buggered up my schedule. He was a 3pm to 8pm and was always here when I needed to pick-up kids at school or get groceries. What I did was planned a field trip to the zoo on one of his regular days but put on her calendar that I would be closed.

We did a lot of lead up to going, decorating, posted signs, reminders in the newsletters, return your permission slips, etc... Dcm asked why we were going without her child and I told her it was because of her not wanting him to be transported. Told her I felt bad for him and felt that he would continue to be disappointed in the years to come when he got into school and not allowed to go on trips. Never thought of it like that.
TBird 04:50 AM 07-02-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I had this happen and it really buggered up my schedule. He was a 3pm to 8pm and was always here when I needed to pick-up kids at school or get groceries. What I did was planned a field trip to the zoo on one of his regular days but put on her calendar that I would be closed.

We did a lot of lead up to going, decorating, posted signs, reminders in the newsletters, return your permission slips, etc... Dcm asked why we were going without her child and I told her it was because of her not wanting him to be transported. Told her I felt bad for him and felt that he would continue to be disappointed in the years to come when he got into school and not allowed to go on trips. Never thought of it like that.
Did she wind up letting him go???
Unregistered 08:33 AM 07-02-2011
But also - its important to do the work to make mom comfortable for trips to the park, library, etc.

Let her know WHERE and WHEN. How will it go - carseat, check off in and out, HOW will you prevent losing one?

You are not asking to ride the child around all day for errands? You want to do specific things. Or - you want to do to and from school....can mom adjust to this?

Offer your driving record, insurance covering kids, a check out of your vehicle, explain how car seats are used - can she install hers permanently and have it checked?

How many kids in the car at once?

Its really scary.
Auntie 02:22 PM 07-02-2011
Maybe you could approach her and say I was wondering if you were still feeling uncomfortable about me transporting your child in my vehical during daycare hours?
Then she can say yes or no.
Then you can say that you have had a situation come up where you need to be able to be mobile with the children. If she is not you can then say well I am so sorry you will have to consider this your two week notice to find new daycare. Or something like that.
Childminder 03:26 PM 07-02-2011
Originally Posted by :
Did she wind up letting him go???
She did after that and he was with me for 3 more years. We still communicate and they visit occasionally. Now I state upfront in interviews that a permission slip for transport must be sign for acceptance into childcare. I am open 6days a week, days and evenings so The little ones have to be allowed to travel on errands or I would never get anything done.

Same thing with the photo permission slip. One mom did not want her child's photo taken and did not sign it. She wanted to know why I was always putting everyone but his pics in the newsletters, in mother's day frames, up on the board. What? She signed the slip at her next contract renewal.
MarinaVanessa 11:18 PM 07-04-2011
Thank you ladies for your helpfull responses. I will have to have a talk with her so hopefully this week. I made the comment about cookies because as we all know ... you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. She's a nice mom so hopefully she will understand and not want to go somewhere else.

Fortunately for me I do have a policy in my handbook that says that we go on walks and outings and we either walk or drive and if they don't want their child leaving my home or riding in a car then they can keep their child home for the day. So she knows that I go places with the kids and we take walks to the park (the SAME psrk that we would be driving to) but I'll also be adding 2 more trips a day.

She can agree or she can find somewhere else to go. I hope she chooses to stay.
Christian Mother 10:45 AM 07-05-2011
I think I am really lucky bc all my parents are great in regards to allowing me to take them out...some times we head to a splash park that is free or to the mall to play in the play area...I've never had a problem. Not this coming up school yr but next I will need to inform all the parents that I will need to transport my daughter to Kindergarten. I am not worried about there reactions. I think I am more worried that I don't have the car space for 1 baby and 3 toddlers plus my daughter. Time to get a new vehicle.

At pick up I would keep her maybe 10 min and briefly let her know in advance that there will be some changes that will effect her. Explain that starting next month. This will allow her plenty of time to either find a new daycare or be aware of the changes. If you approach her that this is non negotiable then she will look at it as such as well. Hopefully she will be understanding. It kind of the norm now with daycare providers that offer care in there homes. I hope she is understanding with you.
MarinaVanessa 04:11 PM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
I think I am really lucky bc all my parents are great in regards to allowing me to take them out
I was lucky in this regards too until this new DCM. I gave her everything to read and look through before she signed up but she didn't want to sign the waiver for transportation. At the time is was no big deal, we walked everywhere anyway but then I got a van and then I got notice that I was going to pick up and drop off my daughter at school. She said she understood that she wouldn't be able to bring DCB if we went out in the car but I don't think she was counting on multiple trips a day everyday because neither was I.

I don't want to lose the income but as of next month she'll either have to allow me to transport her son or find another daycare. I got a call from a teacher today for 2 kids. This is kind of new territory for me (teacher's kids) so I'll be looking up old threads on people handle teacher schedules later tonight. I at least want to keep dcm on until next month and hopefully this family signs up and starts once school begins next months. I can even help DCM find another DC. I know two that have a spot open that's perfect for him and the provider's are great. They even do preschool once a week at one of the provider's houses. I'd still get to see him because I wanted to do preschool too and drive the kids over to her house once a week. I know the other families I have would be excited.
Christian Mother 10:18 PM 07-05-2011
Sounds like it will really work out for you in the end!! Neither of you I am sure exspected this but we have to be able to adapt well to diff. changes. It's part of life and if she isn't comfortable in this change then it's best to part ways. And like you said you can provide her with some other DCP recommendations. If you express to her that you are sorry but there really isn't anything you can do about this and that you understand if she'd like to change DCP but you'd really like to continue providing care she would probably really appreciate that. If not then you can def. check in with the care of the other 2 kido's. I have a teacher in my group and she is wonderful to work with. She gets all the same days my children get off and holiday's. Summer time she does summer school so I still have her child most of the week other than fri. although there are a lot of fri. I do have him. I am some what diff. then most providers on here as I don't charge when a child isn't in my care. I don't charge holding fees or the 2 weeks deposit. Just that they give me 2 weeks notice when they will be leaving. So far I've had all my kido's since I started except one and that was due to the first issue of disrespect I received and I termed right on the spot. If I provide care at a reasonable rate and you treat me like a doormat, your going to find your self with out a DCP.
Unregistered 03:59 AM 07-07-2011
I would have made her sign it regardless of her feelings right from the get-go. What if your daughter was sick at school, or there was an emergency. Without that consent, you can't go anywhere in a vehicle with her child.

But at this point I would just lay it out there. "I have to drive dd back and forth to school and with this heat we will be taking the car to the park instead of walking. I'll need you to sign the permission to travel consent form by Monday"

This gives her the weekend to mull it over and get it back to you. having her find alternate care just for field trip days doesn't really sound reasonable because you'd have to have your schedule down and sometimes that is hard.

When parents ask if we go places I say yes, if they don't like they find alternate care. Having them keep their children home on field trip days are not an option for my daycare. Our field trips are generally spur of the moment. (I just decided this morning that we're going to the farm)
Unregistered 02:22 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
But also - its important to do the work to make mom comfortable for trips to the park, library, etc.

Let her know WHERE and WHEN. How will it go - carseat, check off in and out, HOW will you prevent losing one?

You are not asking to ride the child around all day for errands? You want to do specific things. Or - you want to do to and from school....can mom adjust to this?

Offer your driving record, insurance covering kids, a check out of your vehicle, explain how car seats are used - can she install hers permanently and have it checked?

How many kids in the car at once?

Its really scary.
Scanning all these posts....
* Insurance *? Really! Insurance is good for medical bills, or replacing your car - not my child. *&#^$&*()@(*
A good driving record means what? That you won't be driving next to the bad drivers? Maybe you have some special good driver roads you travel on that no accidents could occur on? It's why they call them accidents - no one expects them to happen.
*#$&*$&($*#(*

I don't care how you reason with the risks, you wouldn't do it with my irreplaceable child. I agree with 'daycare' and I would remove my child from 'daycare' or anyone else who would even attempt to rationalize or negotiate the risk of my child against that child's parents will.

Reading these posts just makes me question what my day care is trying to rationalize in their own mind without telling me. - scary to read some of these arguments. unauthorized taking of a child is nothing less than child abduction - even if you do return the child.
This is what happened to me today - my franchise day care signed my daughter up to a field trip and took her without our knowledge or consent until after the fact. It was a field trip which I felt didn't add anything to her development, and could only have potential for danger in the neighborhood they were traveling to.
I've been scanning posts on the internet to understand how, why, and what I should do.

Tragic that it seems so many people in the day care profession in this post sound like they can negotiate with the child's safety and rationalize the risks or would attempt to sway a careful parent to take additional risks unnecessarily.

What happens when you convince a parent to let you take their child - and the unfortunate happens. Would you go on your merry way - maybe saying.... it was OK with the parent!

I don't want a day care that would even consider trying to sway my opinion of what I think is an acceptable risk.
rhymia1 03:38 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by :
* Insurance *? Really! Insurance is good for medical bills, or replacing your car - not my child. *&#^$&*()@(*
A good driving record means what? That you won't be driving next to the bad drivers? Maybe you have some special good driver roads you travel on that no accidents could occur on? It's why they call them accidents - no one expects them to happen.
*#$&*$&($*#(*

I don't care how you reason with the risks, you wouldn't do it with my irreplaceable child. I agree with 'daycare' and I would remove my child from 'daycare' or anyone else who would even attempt to rationalize or negotiate the risk of my child against that child's parents will.

Reading these posts just makes me question what my day care is trying to rationalize in their own mind without telling me. - scary to read some of these arguments. unauthorized taking of a child is nothing less than child abduction - even if you do return the child.
This is what happened to me today - my franchise day care signed my daughter up to a field trip and took her without our knowledge or consent until after the fact. It was a field trip which I felt didn't add anything to her development, and could only have potential for danger in the neighborhood they were traveling to.
I've been scanning posts on the internet to understand how, why, and what I should do.

Tragic that it seems so many people in the day care profession in this post sound like they can negotiate with the child's safety and rationalize the risks or would attempt to sway a careful parent to take additional risks unnecessarily.

What happens when you convince a parent to let you take their child - and the unfortunate happens. Would you go on your merry way - maybe saying.... it was OK with the parent!

I don't want a day care that would even consider trying to sway my opinion of what I think is an acceptable risk.
I don't think anyone was saying that they would take a child without permission? You, as a parent, have the choice of where to send your child for care. The onus is on the parent to find care that works for them. We also take field trips and I have transported DCkids to preschool. I make it clear from the get go that we travel. I have appropriate/PROPERLY used car/booster seats for the children in my care. If that's a problem for the parent then they need to go with another provider. I won't beg, plead, cajole or otherwise try to sway anyone's opinion. This is the service *I* provide. Take it or leave it.
FWIW, many parents in my area won't go with a provider who won't transport to preschool.
Cat Herder 03:47 PM 07-14-2011
I all honesty I do not transport because the risk, cost and added work is just not worth it to me.

With that said, if I did transport and a parent refused to sign the agreement I never would have accepted them into care.

If, as a parent, you choose NOT to have your child transported...then choose a daycare that does NOT transport.

IMHO, It is unfair and selfish to expect a business to change their program to suit your wishes over the other parents.

If your child's class is going on a field trip and you don't want yours to go... Keep them home.

Maybe some centers have another person available to keep kids that have been left behind...maybe choose one of those centers if you know it is going to be an issue for you.

Pick the appropriate daycare for your needs and wishes. Don't try to change the program after the fact.
familyschoolcare 04:37 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
*#$&*$&($*#(*

This was not about a provider doing something with out the permission of a parent.

My liability insurance covers anything that might happen if I transport children.

Not signing the transportation slip is not an option in my program. I understand why some parent are uncomfortable with my transporting them any where if that is the case then my family day care is not a good fit for them. You see I have older children of my own live in a four-plex with no backyard so in the summer and on school holidays we go on a daily field trip. during the school year I have to take my children and the other children in my care to school. I do have all the field trips scheduled and give it to the parents weeks to months in advanced.

As a parent you have the right to not place your child where they will be transported to other places. As a daycare provider I have the right to run my program any way I want as long as it is legal.
Tags:choose appropriate childcare, choose the right provider, enforcing policies - consistency, insurance, risk management, transportation, transportation permission slip, unreasonable parental expectations
Reply Up