Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Insurance Help
Kim 06:27 PM 10-05-2011
I received a letter that my homeowners company will not be renewing me because of my home daycare. I have had homeowners and a $300,000 rider for my daycare with them for 4 years now. Now all of a sudden they have a problem with it? I am licensed for 7 plus have two children of my own and they will only cover up to 8 children total. The funny part is that I really don't need the rider with them since I have a separate $1 million policy specific to daycare that covers me better.

I'm wondering what insurance companies will allow a homeowners policy if you operate a daycare in your home? I'm not looking for companies that provide separate insurance specific to daycare. I'm looking for regular homeowners insurance companies that allow home daycare. Does that make sense?
MyAngels 07:09 PM 10-05-2011
I had American Family for a number of years without a problem, and now have State Farm. Both agents are/were fully aware of my daycare, so I assume their companies are ok with it. I have a separate policy for my daycare and no rider on either policy.
daycare 07:44 PM 10-05-2011
I'm with all state and thy cover everything for me..
snbauser 07:46 PM 10-05-2011
A lot of them are going away from it. I had State Farm for the longest time. They were fine for covering me up to 6 but refused to cover me for the 12 that I have now. What is even worse is we rent and because of my daycare, they won't even allow us to have renters insurance now Really dumb since renter's insurance only covers the material property in the house in case of fire, etc. It is not a liability insurance but they still won't underwrite us now grrrrrr....
Kim 06:07 AM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
A lot of them are going away from it. I had State Farm for the longest time. They were fine for covering me up to 6 but refused to cover me for the 12 that I have now. What is even worse is we rent and because of my daycare, they won't even allow us to have renters insurance now Really dumb since renter's insurance only covers the material property in the house in case of fire, etc. It is not a liability insurance but they still won't underwrite us now grrrrrr....
This is what I'm afraid of. We have to have homeowners but I'm having a hard time finding a company that is okay with the fact that I have a daycare in my house- even if it's a separate designated area in my home. I don't need them to cover me for the daycare since I have a separate policy through DCI. I just need a company that will cover us for regular homeowners but the couple I've called said no just because of the daycare. They don't care if I have a separate daycare policy or not. It's really frustrating!
Unregistered 01:19 PM 10-06-2011
If you have Farm Bureau in your state they will do a homeowners policy for you.
jolson 01:02 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Kim:
This is what I'm afraid of. We have to have homeowners but I'm having a hard time finding a company that is okay with the fact that I have a daycare in my house- even if it's a separate designated area in my home. I don't need them to cover me for the daycare since I have a separate policy through DCI. I just need a company that will cover us for regular homeowners but the couple I've called said no just because of the daycare. They don't care if I have a separate daycare policy or not. It's really frustrating!
If you are located in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, or Wisconsin, I would check with West Bend Insurance Co. They are an excellent option if you have an In-home daycare.
Tags:bad economy, insurance, liability insurance
Reply Up