Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Home Insurance Rider Vs. Stand Alone Policy
jolson 12:30 PM 01-03-2011
I am an independent insurance agent in Minnesota. I specialize in Childcare insurance for In Home daycares, group and commercial daycare centers, drop-in centers, Head start programs, etc.

After reading many of the posts on this site regarding Daycare Insurance, I wanted to offer some clarification on the differences between the coverage you receive by adding a rider to your Home insurance versus purchasing a stand alone Childare Business insurance policy.

First, regardless of what company you insure your home with, State Farm, Allstate, American Family, etc., their Daycare liability riders are basically the same. They limit coverage to a specific number of children and usually require you to count your own children in that number, typically 1-6 kids.

Second, your coverage is limited to your property. Meaning that if you take the kids on field trips, to the park, or anywhere else off of your property, your policy will not provide coverage.

Third, a rider on your home policy does not offer coverage for illness due to food preparation or for any medications that you may need to administer.

Fourth, the riders do not offer any Sexual Molestation or Abuse coverage. Remeber, you do not have to be guility of anything. The mere allegation can cost you a substantial amount in both defense costs and damage to your reputation.

Fifth, if you are transporting any kids in your vehicle the riders will not offer any coverage and neither will your Auto insurance policy as this may constitute using your vehicle for business purposes. This coverage can be added to a Childcare Business policy.

I hope everyone finds this info helpful. I would be happy to answer any questions regarding insurance.
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 01-03-2011
Do you have a web-site or can you show some rates for insurance. I have a separate house for my childcare and I currently carry insurance on the building and a separate policy through another company who specializes in liability insurance for child care but am always willing to shop around. I have a tough time because I do not have the typical "home owners" since I don't live here. 1 policy to cover building/property loss from one company and another policy for childcare liability from a separate company. Is there a better way to do this? I am also in Minnesota.
jolson 02:33 PM 01-03-2011
I can't give you specific rates without knowing more about your building and your business, but I can tell you that the main company I use for Daycare businesses can put everything on one policy. This may be more cost effective for you and would simplify your insurance by having one policy for your business. They have an outstanding Childcare program. I will send you my contact info privately.
jwashing69 08:15 PM 03-13-2011
Could u please e-mail me best rider insurance to have for family childcare providers. I have state farm and my business is in Maryland and as u mentioned many don't cover things we miss. (JackieWashington2007@verizon.net ) Thank u.

Originally Posted by jolson:
I can't give you specific rates without knowing more about your building and your business, but I can tell you that the main company I use for Daycare businesses can put everything on one policy. This may be more cost effective for you and would simplify your insurance by having one policy for your business. They have an outstanding Childcare program. I will send you my contact info privately.

jolson 01:38 PM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by jwashing69:
Could u please e-mail me best rider insurance to have for family childcare providers. I have state farm and my business is in Maryland and as u mentioned many don't cover things we miss. (JackieWashington2007@verizon.net ) Thank u.
Jackie,

I would recommend searching for an insurance company that writes a stand alone daycare business insurance policy in your state. As I am located in MN, I am not familiar with what companies write daycare insurance in MD. You will always get better coverage with a stand alone policy versus a rider on your Home insurance policy.
Unregistered 10:14 AM 10-24-2011
what insurance carrier I can use that would carry 12 children at a time? also I need vehicle insurance for my 7 passenger van to transport children
jolson 12:20 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
what insurance carrier I can use that would carry 12 children at a time? also I need vehicle insurance for my 7 passenger van to transport children
If you are located in MN, I can provide you with a quote from one company that would provide coverage for your daycare business as well as coverage for your van used to transport children. I would need some more info to do this. If you would like to contact me directly, you can email me at jolson@insurancecenterinc.net.
Unregistered 08:49 AM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by jolson:
Hi! I have a home day care in Washington, DC. Are you able to provide a policy for me? Please contact me at arialechat at gmail dot com

Thanks!!
Tags:insurance, minnesota
Reply Up