Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Vehicle That Holds 6 Car Seats???
Daycaremomof2 11:40 AM 01-31-2012
I'm sick of being cooped up- it's time to venture out and I'm buying a new car.

But what to buy?

I need something that will fit 6 car seats.

Ideas?
MNMum 11:47 AM 01-31-2012
Toyota Sienna with 8th seat. Unlike the Honda Odyssey - the 8th seat is not full size, so I'm not sure you could put 6 carseats. We have a 2007, not sure how long they have been making the 8 seat minivans...
KEG123 11:52 AM 01-31-2012
I'm sure it depends on what type of carseats you're using. Most likely, to fit 6 carseats, you're going to need to get all new THIN carseats. I believe Radian is the company that makes really thin convertible carseats, but they're pricey.

If you're truly looking to get a new vehicle/new carseats, go to www.car-seat.org. The ladies on there are wonderful with finding the perfect combination of seats to fit in any specific vehicle.
bice99 12:00 PM 01-31-2012
I have a combi convertible carseat and I can fit it in rear or forward facing between my 2 graco 5 pt/booster seats in the back row of my Suburban. It takes a little work but those seats won't go anywhere. A little excited to load a rear facing baby that way. LOL
Live and Learn 12:01 PM 01-31-2012
Older Suburbans like ours have seat belts for 9!!
Three rows of three.

Michael 12:19 PM 01-31-2012
Consider the Honda Pilot that seats 8: http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/interior.aspx

Or the For Expedition that seats 6: http://www.ford.com/suvs/expedition/
Daycaremomof2 12:24 PM 01-31-2012
Thanks guys!

I am going to look into all of these suggestions. I am not really a mini-van type of person, so maybe a nice SUV
Daycaremomof2 12:25 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Older Suburbans like ours have seat belts for 9!!
Three rows of three.

What year do you have?
cheerfuldom 12:26 PM 01-31-2012
I was going to say a suburban. make sure to check your regulations regarding transporting daycare kids. also your car insurance. I would purchase the car seats myself so you can guarantee that they are in good working order and can also shop for narrower options. check your state laws and see who needs to be rear faced, car seats, or boostered. What ages are your kids? I would keep as many rear facing for as long as possible....also keep the bigger ones harnessed as long as possible.
AmyLeigh 01:09 PM 01-31-2012
I love my Excursion. Three car seats fit in the middle seat, but the back seat is a little tight. My oldest has outgrown the need for a car seat, so I usually stick her in the back middle. I am considering buying the fourth row seat for it to add room for 3 more passengers. Come summer, I will have one more child than seat belts.
MarinaVanessa 02:00 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Daycaremomof2:
Thanks guys!

I am going to look into all of these suggestions. I am not really a mini-van type of person, so maybe a nice SUV
I wasn't a minivan person either until I got the Toyota Sienna (8 seater). No joke, we take that thing everywhere ... it's been to Vegas 5 times in 6 months packed with 6 of our unruly friends (8 of us all together). The last time we went to Vegas only 5 of us went total so we opted to take our Infinity G35 and our friends were sorely dissapointed that we would not be taking the "stretch" ... for stretch limo (my van has been dubbed this nickname by our friends, the van is white).

Anywho, yes it fits 8 passengers and I have managed to fit 3 carseats in the 3rd row no problem ... however, they are Britax Decathlons (a pretty penny) because they have narrow bases. I bet the Brittax Marathons would also work. I am not sure that all three would fit in the 2nd row but it would be worth a try. I like these caseats because they're convertable and will work for kids from infants (can be used rear-facing or forward facing) all the way up to booster age kids (5lbs to 70lbs). I do however have a rear facing infant carseat in the 2nd row of a different brand and can't manage to squeeze 2 booster seats in the same row with that infant carseat. I love these carseats because no matter what age they are in my DC, they can use them. My 7yo refuses to sit in one though so she uses a booster seat now that she has to go back in one until she's 8. I do love the van, it has great gas mileage. Not as good as our car but deffinetely better than our truck and deffinetely better than my friend's Expedition (she does DC also).
I have never tried fitting all three of my Brittax carseats in the 2nd row but maybe the next time I pull the seats out I'll try. Next Vegas trip maybe??
newtodaycare22 02:53 PM 01-31-2012
I have a Ford Expedition and I love it. I have 2 regular car seats in the center of each row and boosters on the other 4 (but I only have 3-5 year olds).
Live and Learn 06:44 PM 01-31-2012
We recently purchased a low mileage '98 for one of my children.

I want a lot of metal around my kids when they are new drivers!

About the Honda Pilot....a family member has one and it is very, very, tight. I wouldn't have one personally but they like it.
Live and Learn 06:46 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by daycaremomof2:
what year do you have?
........ 1998!

Oh, and be sure to check into auto insurance before you start driving around daycare kiddos. It is a huge liability. You might rethink your plans. IDK.
MNMum 07:20 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I wasn't a minivan person either until I got the Toyota Sienna (8 seater). No joke, we take that thing everywhere ... it's been to Vegas 5 times in 6 months packed with 6 of our unruly friends (8 of us all together). The last time we went to Vegas only 5 of us went total so we opted to take our Infinity G35 and our friends were sorely dissapointed that we would not be taking the "stretch" ... for stretch limo (my van has been dubbed this nickname by our friends, the van is white).

Anywho, yes it fits 8 passengers and I have managed to fit 3 carseats in the 3rd row no problem ... however, they are Britax Decathlons (a pretty penny) because they have narrow bases. I bet the Brittax Marathons would also work. I am not sure that all three would fit in the 2nd row but it would be worth a try. I like these caseats because they're convertable and will work for kids from infants (can be used rear-facing or forward facing) all the way up to booster age kids (5lbs to 70lbs). I do however have a rear facing infant carseat in the 2nd row of a different brand and can't manage to squeeze 2 booster seats in the same row with that infant carseat. I love these carseats because no matter what age they are in my DC, they can use them. My 7yo refuses to sit in one though so she uses a booster seat now that she has to go back in one until she's 8. I do love the van, it has great gas mileage. Not as good as our car but deffinetely better than our truck and deffinetely better than my friend's Expedition (she does DC also).
I have never tried fitting all three of my Brittax carseats in the 2nd row but maybe the next time I pull the seats out I'll try. Next Vegas trip maybe??
You can fit 3 carseats easy in the 2nd row. I have an easier time in the 2nd row than the 3rd. We also truly love the versatility of this minivan. Every friend who has driven it has loved it. We've even turned those non-minivan types on to minivans with it! The only thing my husband complains about is that it does not have dual climate control like the Honda. I'm a freeze baby...he is NOT!
Crazy8 07:25 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Consider the Honda Pilot that seats 8: http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/interior.aspx

Or the For Expedition that seats 6: http://www.ford.com/suvs/expedition/
We have a Honda Pilot and no way would you fit 3 convertible size car seats across the back row. Maybe could squeeze 3 in the middle row but they'd have to be some boosters in the mix. Even getting to the back row to buckle is a royal pain!!!
Mary Poppins 08:40 PM 01-31-2012
I kwym about being cooped up and thought about a 12 passenger van but decided after this school year that I'm not doing any dc transporting anymore! Too much liability and too tempting to take more SA'ers next fall.

To insure that I fully commit to this decision, instead of a van I bought a 2 seater convertible. My license plate will say ALLMINE!!
safechner 09:12 PM 01-31-2012
I had a 2003 Honda Pilot when we first bought back in Feb 2003. It does fit two car seat in the third row, not three. Also, it fits three car seats in second row but we didn't have honda pilot very long because we had problem. It was first model that came out in 2003. Eight month later, we traded truck at that time.

If you are looking 6 car seats then you would need to get a bigger suv or possible van. I am not sure about van because I am not type of driving minivan.
Tags:car seats, car type, insurance, suburban seats 9, transportation
Reply Up