Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Bad insurance news...
BumbleBee 02:28 PM 07-03-2012
So the agent that ran quotes for me last Friday called me this morning. "Nothing but bad news" he said. Out of 19 insurance companies he's got connections with, 12 write for home daycares. All 12 said no. Reason being, I live in a permanently affixed manufactured home. Not the best way to start out the day.

Waiting on a quote from West Bend mutual right now and crossing my fingers that they say yes. If that is a "no" then I keep searching. Got confirmation from 3 other agents that my home owners insurance will drop me as soon as I open my doors for daycare, even if I get seperate daycare insurance. If West Bend says yes, then I'll be moving my home-owners to one of their partner companies.

Just a lot to think about. Been one of those days.
originalkat 07:23 PM 07-03-2012
No good. Stick with it. When I was getting mine I kept getting bad news and was getting really stressed. But it all worked out. Im sure you will find coverage.
LaLa1923 11:14 AM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
So the agent that ran quotes for me last Friday called me this morning. "Nothing but bad news" he said. Out of 19 insurance companies he's got connections with, 12 write for home daycares. All 12 said no. Reason being, I live in a permanently affixed manufactured home. Not the best way to start out the day.

Waiting on a quote from West Bend mutual right now and crossing my fingers that they say yes. If that is a "no" then I keep searching. Got confirmation from 3 other agents that my home owners insurance will drop me as soon as I open my doors for daycare, even if I get seperate daycare insurance. If West Bend says yes, then I'll be moving my home-owners to one of their partner companies.

Just a lot to think about. Been one of those days.

So do I !! DC Insurances does JUST child care!! VEry reasonable too!!
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 11-30-2012
Trummynme have you tried Adults and Childrens Alliance?

They offer liability insurance only and never once did they ask what type of facility I live in as far as structure type...

http://www.assurechildcare.com/
Scout 03:05 PM 11-30-2012
What is a permenantly manufactured affixed home?
MarinaVanessa 03:40 PM 11-30-2012
Have you tried State Farm Insurance? I live in CA and we have all of our insurance through them including my DC insurance. Mine is a rider that you get in addition to our regular homeowner's insurance and I don't think I pay more than $100 a year for it. For me it was better than DC insurance because having all of our insurance through State Farm means that the daycare children are covered if we're involved in an auto accident in any of our vehicles. I'm not sure if works the same in all states and I'm sure that we are getting a multi-policy discount but it's worth a shot if you havn't already checked.

If State Farm doesn't offer this to you then DC insurance would be my next choice but you'd still have to find an insurance company with homeowner's insurance that would allow you to do daycare.
LaLa1923 04:06 PM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by aprilsfool77:
What is a permenantly manufactured affixed home?
Its a type of mobile home. However, you can make them very large and customize them. It's worth it to Google it.
BumbleBee 09:10 PM 11-30-2012
I completely forgot about this thread.

I did end up going w/West Bend Mutual for dc insurance & one of their partner companies for home owners. It costs a mint and I'm actively searching for other companies that do dc & homeowners.

All of the major ones have said no due to the type of home I have.

A permanently affixed manufactured home sounds weird but here's my best at explaining it:

Manufactured/mobile home in the state of MI is titled as a vehicle. Home-owners insurance is higher because of the risk of the house being moved away. Permanently affixed means the home has been physically & permanently attached to a concrete foundation or a basement. Having it permanently attached (easy part) and certified as such (not so easy part) lowers the home-owners insurance though not to the level of a stick built home. The "vehicle title" is retired & you get a "home title."

Due to the "increased risk" of damage to a mobile home, affixed or not, is the reason for the higher rates. Throw in a daycare & no insurance company wants the liability without a hefty sum of $$$ or they just won't take it on.

I can find home-owners insurance at a reasonable rate, and I can find daycare insurance at a reasonable rate-just not with the same company or partner companies. I researched the advantages/disadvantages of going w/non partner companies vs. Partner companies & partner companies, for me, was the safest way to go.

While it's costing me a good chunk of change, I have coverage & am satisfied. Doesn't mean I'll stop looking for better coverage for the $$ but as of right now I am covered.

Ask me again in August when I fork over an entire months income for home-owners/dc insurance & I might say something different
LaLa1923 04:38 PM 12-01-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I completely forgot about this thread.

I did end up going w/West Bend Mutual for dc insurance & one of their partner companies for home owners. It costs a mint and I'm actively searching for other companies that do dc & homeowners.

All of the major ones have said no due to the type of home I have.

A permanently affixed manufactured home sounds weird but here's my best at explaining it:

Manufactured/mobile home in the state of MI is titled as a vehicle. Home-owners insurance is higher because of the risk of the house being moved away. Permanently affixed means the home has been physically & permanently attached to a concrete foundation or a basement. Having it permanently attached (easy part) and certified as such (not so easy part) lowers the home-owners insurance though not to the level of a stick built home. The "vehicle title" is retired & you get a "home title."

Due to the "increased risk" of damage to a mobile home, affixed or not, is the reason for the higher rates. Throw in a daycare & no insurance company wants the liability without a hefty sum of $$$ or they just won't take it on.

I can find home-owners insurance at a reasonable rate, and I can find daycare insurance at a reasonable rate-just not with the same company or partner companies. I researched the advantages/disadvantages of going w/non partner companies vs. Partner companies & partner companies, for me, was the safest way to go.

While it's costing me a good chunk of change, I have coverage & am satisfied. Doesn't mean I'll stop looking for better coverage for the $$ but as of right now I am covered.

Ask me again in August when I fork over an entire months income for home-owners/dc insurance & I might say something different
OH MY LORD!!! DCI is JUST DC insurance!! Its less than $500 a YEAR!
Tags:insurance
Reply Up