Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Homeowners Insurance
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 07:44 AM 03-10-2015
I found out today that if I continue my route to get licensed my insurance company will not renew my homeowners insurance due to the liability. So now I have to decide to either leave my insurance company that I have been with for 10-years or stay exempt. This to me in unfair that they can determine what type of occupation I have.
KiddieCahoots 08:06 AM 03-10-2015
My homeowners decided they were not going to cover in home anymore due to the liability, and this was after 20+yrs of being with them.

As much of a pain in the butt it was to have to find new insurance coverage, it was worth it. I found a homeowners, and daycare liability (BC told me about Assure), all with higher coverage for less.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 08:15 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
My homeowners decided they were not going to cover in home anymore due to the liability, and this was after 20+yrs of being with them.

As much of a pain in the butt it was to have to find new insurance coverage, it was worth it. I found a homeowners, and daycare liability (BC told me about Assure), all with higher coverage for less.
I'm going to have to check them out. My agent knows I do daycare now but if I get licensed and have more than 5 they will not renew my homeowners.
LysesKids 08:19 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
I'm going to have to check them out. My agent knows I do daycare now but if I get licensed and have more than 5 they will not renew my homeowners.
When I was in Martinsburg, WV, I was licensed for 6 kids & State Farm covered me & my house; heck they cover me now too. They say as long as you are running with legal #s under your state law, they have no issue
DaveA 08:29 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
When I was in Martinsburg, WV, I was licensed for 6 kids & State Farm covered me & my house; heck they cover me now too. They say as long as you are running with legal #s under your state law, they have no issue
This is how it was with me. We added liability and coverage for transportation but otherwise was ok as long as it was a legal business.
spinnymarie 10:28 AM 03-10-2015
State Farm wouldn't do more than 6 kids, was our issue.
But same as above, we now have better insurance for cheaper.
jenboo 10:37 AM 03-10-2015
I had 6 kids with american family. I also went through them to get a separate policy for the daycare. They don't do business policies but were the middle man between me and USLI (I believe that's the company).
Daycare Insurance 04:37 PM 03-12-2015
I found out today that if I continue my route to get licensed my insurance company will not renew my homeowners insurance due to the liability. So now I have to decide to either leave my insurance company that I have been with for 10-years or stay exempt. This to me in unfair that they can determine what type of occupation I have.
There are plenty of insurance companies out there that will insure a license child care operation. In fact there are actually less companies out there that will cover an exempt home. Each company is different as far as the classes of business they can insure so I do not think its anything personal against you and your decision to get licensed. While I can not speculate on their reasoning I would think that it is more likely that they would prefer to keep your business but may not be able to insure you if you become licensed.

Please do not allow anyone to dictate whether or not you get licensed. You should make the decision based on whats best for you and the children you care for. Before making your decision seek out other companies that insure both kind of operations and see how much they charge, and weigh the pros and cons of becoming licensed and then make your decision.
Second Home 03:37 AM 03-13-2015
Our insurance company of 10 years dropped us when I inquired about daycare insurance , I did not even have my daycare yet . We had less than 30 days to find new coverage .
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 09:14 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by Daycare Insurance:
There are plenty of insurance companies out there that will insure a license child care operation. In fact there are actually less companies out there that will cover an exempt home. Each company is different as far as the classes of business they can insure so I do not think its anything personal against you and your decision to get licensed. While I can not speculate on their reasoning I would think that it is more likely that they would prefer to keep your business but may not be able to insure you if you become licensed.

Please do not allow anyone to dictate whether or not you get licensed. You should make the decision based on whats best for you and the children you care for. Before making your decision seek out other companies that insure both kind of operations and see how much they charge, and weigh the pros and cons of becoming licensed and then make your decision.
I contacted Farmers insurance and the agent was super nice. She gave me a quote to include covering 5 children and when I get licensed she said all I have to do is call and adjust it to the amount of children I have on the license. She knew the exempt daycare laws. Best part is that it is almost 150$ a year cheaper than what I have.
Daycare Insurance 03:03 PM 03-17-2015
I contacted Farmers insurance and the agent was super nice. She gave me a quote to include covering 5 children and when I get licensed she said all I have to do is call and adjust it to the amount of children I have on the license. She knew the exempt daycare laws. Best part is that it is almost 150$ a year cheaper than what I have.
It likely cheaper because that is likely an endorsement on your homeowners policy. If you are exempt this is much better than having no coverage. However the downsides are that they likely lack abuse coverage and an accident medical policy for the children. If you are exempt you may be limited in the coverages you can obtain, but if possible you should always try to carry a policy that has an abuse endorsement and accident medical policy.
sahm1225 11:39 AM 08-06-2016
Hi everyone,
I just received a letter from our homeowners insurance (allstate) which we've had since 2000. The letter says that we have 30 days to prove that I no longer have a home daycare or they will drop us.

I called the 800 number and they don't know why they would drop us since they KNOW that we have a home daycare. I had the daycare insurance through them for a few years and then switched to a company that has better coverage at the suggestion of their agent!

It's SO frustrating! Does anyone have suggestions of insurance companies that offer home owners coverage for a home that has a home daycare?

Thanks!
daycarediva 10:11 AM 08-12-2016
we have geico. It's 620/year for our home and the dc and dog are included in that rate.
childcaremom 10:26 AM 08-12-2016
I am switching ours up, too. Our current one told me I need to drop a child (down to 3) or they won't insure me. I am legally unlicensed and able to have 5. Another one told me 4 kids max and it was $400 more.

I found one that will do up to 6 (which is the max for a home daycare) and provide liability PLUS income coverage. And it's the same price.

So while I hate making all the calls and was upset that I had to switch, it pays to shop around.
Unregistered 03:40 PM 08-12-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
we have geico. It's 620/year for our home and the dc and dog are included in that rate.
Interesting! Geicko won't give me homeowners insurance because I am a licensed child care home. I wonder if it varies by state.
Unregistered 03:41 PM 08-12-2016
*geico*
Unregistered 10:50 AM 08-17-2016
Liberty Mutual is the only company I could find, since we also have a dog and heat with wood pellets. We also had to switch our auto policy to them since they said that evened out their risk. (Low risk auto policy, high risk homeowner's according to them.) Their rates were not too much more then what we had before. I have a rider for the daycare with them too, though I still need to find actual liability insurance elsewhere.
LysesKids 08:19 PM 08-17-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Hi everyone,
I just received a letter from our homeowners insurance (allstate) which we've had since 2000. The letter says that we have 30 days to prove that I no longer have a home daycare or they will drop us.

I called the 800 number and they don't know why they would drop us since they KNOW that we have a home daycare. I had the daycare insurance through them for a few years and then switched to a company that has better coverage at the suggestion of their agent!

It's SO frustrating! Does anyone have suggestions of insurance companies that offer home owners coverage for a home that has a home daycare?

Thanks!
State Farm covered me in WV when I was licensed for 6 kids (2001) & still covers me in TN as licensed exempt for 4 babies (They covered me in AR for 5 - I currently have the state recommended liability coverage for a licensed home); they also cover my car... point is they will cover you as long as you are running legal for your state, but you do get a discount on the homeowners/renter if you have car coverage as well; I lived in manufactured housing in 2001 and live in an Energy star home now that is still considered a mobile home, so it doesn't have to be stick built as long as it is state legal
Tags:homeowners insurance
Reply Up