Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Insurance Is Dropping Me
BumbleBee 04:37 PM 05-18-2017
It's a long story, and one that wasn't my fault (agent f'd up), but the short version is I'll be without homeowners insurance as of August of this year. I'll write the whole story later, right now I'm just p*ssed off.

So the basic facts right now:

State: Michigan

License: Group Home, up to 12 children

Home type: Manufactured home

If anybody in Michigan has a manufactured home and runs a home daycare, please either respond to this thread or PM me. I've been on the phone for the better part of the week and I'm hitting a dead end.

The issue is it's a manufactured home, if it was stick built it wouldn't be a problem, but it's not. So that's where I'm at.
AmyKidsCo 08:35 PM 05-18-2017
I'm so sorry! I hope you can find good insurance quickly!

Ours dropped us a couple of years ago because of "too many" claims and the same company dropped my FCC friend because of a bigger claim for tornado damage.

Insurance companies stink.
CityGarden 08:45 PM 05-18-2017
I am so sorry to hear that.
lovemykidstoo 05:19 AM 05-19-2017
Where are you in Michigan? My husband has a friend that owns a Farm Bureau agency in Saginaw. I can ask him if they would do insurance. You're looking for homeowners and also daycare?
Unregistered 09:38 AM 05-25-2017
The only company I know that insures for 12 kids is farmers, they are high but the only company that will insure with lic for 12. I have searched for more over the years and none exist.
lovemykidstoo 06:31 PM 05-25-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The only company I know that insures for 12 kids is farmers, they are high but the only company that will insure with lic for 12. I have searched for more over the years and none exist.
That's the company I gave you the number for BumbleBee. Did you reach Ryan?
midaycare 10:21 AM 06-09-2017
I'm going to need to up my license in MI from 6 to 12 soon. I have State Farm. I hope they still insure me

Any luck OP?
mommyneedsadayoff 10:26 AM 06-09-2017
Are you looking for homeowners? We have a manufactured home and go through foremost.
LysesKids 10:52 AM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm going to need to up my license in MI from 6 to 12 soon. I have State Farm. I hope they still insure me

Any luck OP?
State Farm limits it to 6 from what I have learned - I've been insured thru them in 4 states now... I tried to up it in another state, but nope.
midaycare 11:50 AM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
State Farm limits it to 6 from what I have learned - I've been insured thru them in 4 states now... I tried to up it in another state, but nope.
Yeah, I just heard back from them. Limited to 6, boo!
lovemykidstoo 05:35 PM 06-09-2017
In Michigan, Ryan can get you group insurance. https://agents.farmers.com/mi/sagina...m_medium=Local
BumbleBee 06:21 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Are you looking for homeowners? We have a manufactured home and go through foremost.
Foremost said no for me. Not sure if it's the license for 12 or what but it was a definite no.
BumbleBee 06:22 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
That's the company I gave you the number for BumbleBee. Did you reach Ryan?
Honestly I haven't made any calls in 2 weeks. I have his number, I will call him. Last 2 weeks of school were crazy after crazy. Haven't had any quiet time to make a call. May just email him instead.
midaycare 07:32 PM 06-09-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
In Michigan, Ryan can get you group insurance. https://agents.farmers.com/mi/sagina...m_medium=Local
Thank you! I will be calling in about 6 weeks
lovemykidstoo 10:14 AM 06-13-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Thank you! I will be calling in about 6 weeks
My husband used to work with him until my husband got a job at the hospital. He wrote my daycare license. I'll message my hubby's name to drop when you call him.
hwichlaz 03:39 PM 06-21-2017
For 12 you have to get separate daycare and homeowners.

My daycare insurance is through Assured Child Care Insurance.
284878 11:19 AM 07-12-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
Foremost said no for me. Not sure if it's the license for 12 or what but it was a definite no.
Farmers owns Foremost, Foremost it is their mobile home insurance company.

Do you have a mobile home or Modular?

If you have a modular, do not call it a manufactured home, they do not always ask if it is a mobile home or modular home and will deny you because they do not do mobile homes. (This happened to my brother when he called back and said it was a Modular, he got a quote.)

If you can't find an insurance company directly, try an insurance agency and have them search for you. They can sometimes find companies that you would never think of calling.

I have Farm Bureau, family home up to 6. I left Liberty because they would not do more than 3 kids. State Farm was runner-up but was higher than FB. AAA will not talk to you if you have a daycare.
BumbleBee 04:32 PM 07-12-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
Farmers owns Foremost, Foremost it is their mobile home insurance company.

Do you have a mobile home or Modular?

If you have a modular, do not call it a manufactured home, they do not always ask if it is a mobile home or modular home and will deny you because they do not do mobile homes. (This happened to my brother when he called back and said it was a Modular, he got a quote.)

If you can't find an insurance company directly, try an insurance agency and have them search for you. They can sometimes find companies that you would never think of calling.

I have Farm Bureau, family home up to 6. I left Liberty because they would not do more than 3 kids. State Farm was runner-up but was higher than FB. AAA will not talk to you if you have a daycare.
it's a manufactured home (mobile home). Has HUD plates. Wishing it was a modular at this point, or that I hadn't gotten licensed as a group home.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
284878 07:33 PM 07-12-2017
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
it's a manufactured home (mobile home). Has HUD plates. Wishing it was a modular at this point, or that I hadn't gotten licensed as a group home.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
At this point have you found any insurance?

Have you tried Progressive or Geico?
BumbleBee 07:58 PM 07-12-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
At this point have you found any insurance?

Have you tried Progressive or Geico?
No I have not found anything for homeowners insurance. I have tried both Progressive and Geico.
NITC 12:59 AM 01-10-2018
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'm so sorry! I hope you can find good insurance quickly!

Ours dropped us a couple of years ago because of "too many" claims and the same company dropped my FCC friend because of a bigger claim for tornado damage.

Insurance companies stink.
After they dropped you...what insurance did you get?
Unregistered 01:08 PM 03-17-2018
You do know that homeowner's insurance doesn't cover running a daycare from your home, right? You need separate liability insurance for this.
LysesKids 05:31 PM 03-17-2018
You do know that homeowner's insurance doesn't cover running a daycare from your home, right? You need separate liability insurance for this.
True, but State Farm will cover a legally running childcare home for liability up to 6 children (provided you ask & pay for the extra coverage)... been using them for many years , no issues. I just bundled my home, auto & daycare liability & they let me pay monthly
BumbleBee 06:47 PM 03-17-2018
Yes I do know and do have separate liability insurance for the daycare. The issue was when the homeowner's insurance was aware of the daycare, they refused coverage regardless of the separate liability insurance for the daycare.
BumbleBee 06:49 PM 03-17-2018
Originally Posted by NITC:
After they dropped you...what insurance did you get?
Allstate.
Tags:insurance
Reply Up