Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Liability Insurance
theflyingflamingo 05:41 AM 02-13-2010
Who do you have your Liability Ins with. And if you don't mind sharing the coverage and cost.

Thanks, MLF
Daycare Mommy 08:52 AM 02-13-2010
I have mine through State Farm @ $500,000 and idk what I'm paying for it since it's not broken down on my policy. The total I pay for my homeowners insurance with the liability rider is $850/yr.
theflyingflamingo 10:27 AM 02-13-2010
Wow- "Daycare Mommy"- my yearly premium is over triple yours without the rider. Gotta love Florida.
mac60 11:23 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
I have mine through State Farm @ $500,000 and idk what I'm paying for it since it's not broken down on my policy. The total I pay for my homeowners insurance with the liability rider is $850/yr.
Mine is about the same with State Farm too. I too don't know what they cover, as I don't recall ever being given anything that breaks it down. I will tell you a story about them that I wasn't too happy with.

My family room is my daycare room. I always keep 2 king size blankets over the carpet, to catch slobbers, and for the kids to crawl on. One morning a mom brings her 3 yr old in with a sippy with red gatorade in it and medicine. The girl did not feel good. She laid on the floor all day. When I took up the blankets at 5:30 that afternoon, I discovered that the sippy had leaked red Gatorade all over my gray carpet, about at 4" spot. I did my darndest to get that out. I couldn't get it. I used my shampooer and other things to work it out to no avail. I called my State Farm agent, and she told me that I would have to hire a Professional to clean it, and if it didn't come out, then they would cover it but under my "homeowners policy" not part of my daycare policy. WHAT! So, I had to spend $100 of my own money to have it cleaned, it didn't come out, and when I found out they wouldn't cover it as a daycare incident I was pissed. I still have the stain. If I would of had the carpet changed out, it would of cost me another $250 deductible. Then, they would of raised my rates (they did that when we had a claim in the kitchen due to a water leak....and our rates went up considerably for over 3 years). So, I don't know what daycare insurance actually covers. As it doesn't cover things that are damaged by the daycare kids, which isn't right. It really pissed me off and will never happen again, because I will never allow another child to have a sippy outside the kitchen. I have a carpet shampooer that does a great job, just as well as the professional, and they insisted I spend money with a professional before they would even consider to make it right, which they didn't do in the end anyways.
gbcc 02:04 PM 02-13-2010
I have Marshall and Sterling. I pay $424 per year for 100K. Liability doesn't cover damages to your home. It covers incidents with children only. If a child is injured they will cover medical cost. If you are sued, they will be your attorney to have charges dropped/reduced. Anytime you make a claim though your rates go up. So while it's nice to have in case, you are always better to resolve it yourself if possible.
safechner 02:22 PM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I have Marshall and Sterling. I pay $424 per year for 100K. Liability doesn't cover damages to your home. It covers incidents with children only. If a child is injured they will cover medical cost. If you are sued, they will be your attorney to have charges dropped/reduced. Anytime you make a claim though your rates go up. So while it's nice to have in case, you are always better to resolve it yourself if possible.
Do you think I should get liability insurance? I do have Farmers homeowner insurance but I didnt added for daycare insurance.
mac60 03:06 PM 02-13-2010
I know some people put in their policies that parents are responsible for EMS and medical care should something happen at daycare. I don't know how that would hold up, but I know they do it.

I do know that when my own son was at daycare he got hurt and I had to take him in immediately, and I had to pay the bill. They daycare center never offered to pay nor ever mentioned that they would cover it. So, I don't know why it should be different for us.....but, I don't know all the laws either.
Unregistered 04:08 PM 02-13-2010
I don't have insurance yet but I have been looking. I got 2 quotes so far 550 and 960. What a differnce. I would shop around.
gbcc 06:10 PM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
Do you think I should get liability insurance? I do have Farmers homeowner insurance but I didnt added for daycare insurance.
You should probably check with your homeowners policy regarding business on the property. Many homeowners policies will not cover accidents that happen during business hours or that are business related. The liability will usually also have a higher amount of coverage for accidents than a homeowners.
originalkat 06:44 AM 02-15-2010
Our policy allows up to 6 children. I cant remember the price but it was very minimal above the regular HomeOwners Insurance cost.
Tracy Coffman 08:22 AM 11-15-2011
I am an independent insurance in Texas. Laws and coverages can differ from state to state.

I know that in Texas, State Farm allows you to add a rider to your homeowners policy if you have 6 or less children in your home. Although that rider is available and is pretty inexpensive, it does not provide the coverage afforded by a true general liability policy.

Our agency uses a company that offers a comprehensive package policy for in-home centers. If you qualify (major factors knocking this out would be transportation provided, special needs children, or losses in the last 5 years), you can typically get liability at $1,000,000 plus professional liability, and defense cost reimbursement for false accusations. Some carriers exclude the children under medical payments (this company does not, and the limit if $5,000 per person). You also want to make sure you're covered off premises if you do take the kids anywhere (so if a vase gets broken in a museum by one of your kids, you're covered). All of these coverages, plus $25,000 business property and $20,000 for loss of income should you have a covered loss in your home would cost you about $550 per year.

Again that can vary from state to state. And like I said, some homeowner companies do offer extensions of coverage, but it is not nearly as detailed as what you can get on a separate policy.

If you're in Texas and would like to discuss this further, feel free to call me at 1-800-783-6297.
spud912 12:46 PM 11-15-2011
State Farm
$1,000,000 policy (rental plus daycare for 6 children)
Yearly cost: ~$250
kayla 01:03 PM 11-15-2011
i have mine through a company called west bend mutual it is 500,000. I pay 34.00 dollars a month.
CountryMommy 01:08 PM 11-15-2011
I'm in Canada and have insurance through State Farm.

I have $2,000,000 in coverage and pay $625/year.
Tags:deductible, homeowners insurance, insurance, liability
Reply Up