Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Not Really Off Topic, But.....
gkids09 11:58 AM 07-26-2011
I'd rather nobody accidentally come across it, just in case.

A child at my daycare fell outside (while walking, not doing anything unusual), and ended up having to get two stitches in his hand.

His parents seem totally fine, even went so far as to tell me the child is just too clumsy for his own good. I have insurance, but was wondering, am I supposed to offer it, or do I just sit back and wait until they ask me to pay for it??

I've never had anyone get hurt here that needed more than a band-aid, so I don't know what to expect. Do you think the parents REALLY think it's not a big deal, or are they making me think that and then going to throw it all on me?? The kid came back the next day, so it seems like they DON'T think it's much of a deal, but I'm a bit of a worrier...
sahm1225 12:09 PM 07-26-2011
I had a kid fall and knock out his tooth. I offered the insurance and I ended up just paying for the dentist visit ($75) instead of filing a claim.

Do the parents know you have insurance? I'm not sure if I would offer it since it's already happened and the parents said it wasn't a big deal, but I would like to see what other providers think.

When my son was in daycare, I thought any injuries were just part of growing up. He was a toddler so he came home with lots of bump and bruises (nothing major though), but I think being a parent I would just foot the bill and not even think of asking the daycare to pay for it.
KEG123 12:37 PM 07-26-2011
I probably would not unless they asked. Kids are clumsy, parents know that.
gkids09 12:59 PM 07-26-2011
Thanks so much!!

I am not sure if they know I have insurance or not, but I'm sure they probably assume I do...

I think I'll just wait and see if they say anything else. Stitches come out in a week, so they may be waiting on that! ha!
daycare 01:24 PM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by gkids09:
Thanks so much!!

I am not sure if they know I have insurance or not, but I'm sure they probably assume I do...

I think I'll just wait and see if they say anything else. Stitches come out in a week, so they may be waiting on that! ha!
you should check with your insurance how to claim a child when something happens.

With my insurance if the family does one little thing with thier insurance, or doctor, my insurance will not cover it. In order for my insurance to cover it, I have to contact them right away and let them know. The insucance will require that they use their services, not the families.... So in this case, it would be too late for the family to come back and ask me to cover it....they all know that this is the way that it works....
youretooloud 02:11 PM 07-26-2011
My daughter broke her elbow on the monkey bars at school. I had my own insurance.... and, she's my kid, so I paid for it. It never occurred to me to ask the school to pay.

SHe was bitten by a dog at her friend's house. I paid.

She got a cut over her eye on a trampoline at a friend's house. I paid.

It's the price of having kids. Our kids get hurt, and unless it's a neglect situation, or something dangerous, I wouldn't expect someone else to pay for my kid's bumps and bruises.

One time though, one of my daycare kids was walking down the sidewalk and a construction worker had backed his truck up, and put down the tailgate over the sidewalk and he walked into it and needed 13 stitches... I think his Mom made the company pay for that, but that was more because she was mad at the idiot for doing something like that.

I think most parents just assume "My kid, my problem", not "wow.. who can I get to pay for this?".
grandmom 02:35 PM 07-26-2011
Don't offer.

Do make a written note in a file about their statement.

Make sure your policy says something about children get hurt, etc., etc., and that parents are expected to provide adequate insurance coverage.
Tags:injury, insurance
Reply Up