Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Commercial Insurance For Vehicle
daycare 01:01 PM 10-10-2011
So my car insurance company has dropped my policy with the daycare. They told me I will now need to contact a commerical insurance company if I wish to continue to transport daycare kids..

Ugh and we have a field trip to the train station wednesday that I now have to cancel...

If you transport kids who is your carrier?
sharlan 01:25 PM 10-10-2011
I have Mercury. My agent has always known that I provided daycare.
wdmmom 01:27 PM 10-10-2011
I just had this issue arise a couple months ago. A commercial insurance policy would have cost me another $1000-$2000 a year in addition to my regular car insurance coverage!

No transportation! That's my answer!
daycare 01:33 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I just had this issue arise a couple months ago. A commercial insurance policy would have cost me another $1000-$2000 a year in addition to my regular car insurance coverage!

No transportation! That's my answer!
ugh what stinks for me is that I do a program called community in the classroom 2 days a week. So this is a must for me... UGH

I will have to call mercury, but are you sure the kids are acutally covered? My agent said that since my commerical policy is cancelled, my personal insurance will only cover private passenger, not DCK
sharlan 01:39 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
ugh what stinks for me is that I do a program called community in the classroom 2 days a week. So this is a must for me... UGH

I will have to call mercury, but are you sure the kids are acutally covered? My agent said that since my commerical policy is cancelled, my personal insurance will only cover private passenger, not DCK
I've never had a commercial policy. I just have my regular policy. My agent knew what I did for a living. I was in an accident years ago, minor fender bender, and I gave them the names and phone numbers of all the daycare kids. In fact, Mercury wouldn't cover my homeowner's policy because I had the daycare, but they covered my car.
grandmom 02:49 PM 10-10-2011
Gave up a 15-passenger van just for this reason. Could no longer afford the insurance.
daycare 03:12 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Gave up a 15-passenger van just for this reason. Could no longer afford the insurance.
This is what I'm afraid of.
familyschoolcare 03:49 PM 10-10-2011
I have Allstate and I confirmed with them that I do not need special insurance for day care. They did say that the limits would apply my police has a limit on how much medical expense it will pay per person per incidence. My liability insurance also covers this so I am covered. Maybe it is different by state B/C of state laws.
daycare 03:51 PM 10-10-2011
I am also in CA and with all state but they said I would need to have commercial insurance. I'm really confused and I am going to call back
MamaJ 03:59 PM 10-10-2011
I'm just starting a daycare, and my current insurance (Auto-Owners), said the same thing.

I'm switching to State Farm.
mom2many 04:03 PM 10-10-2011
I am in CA and have State Farm for both auto and our home. We did get an umbrella policy to have extra coverage for the daycare.
daycare 04:17 PM 10-10-2011
I am not sure how some of you that have all state have been able to get coverage through them.I just got off the phone with the corporate office and they said that All state does not provide the form of insurance that we need to cover transporting DCK in any state...??????
familyschoolcare 04:31 PM 10-10-2011
Just got off the phone with my insurance agent. The things that one could be doing to require commercial insurance for family day care would be if they are advertising the day care on their car then the vehicle is considered a commercial vehicle, or if the vehicle is used only for the day care then it would be considered a commercial vehicle. I one is not doing those things then they do not need commercial insurance.

If you are not doing the above mentioned things then in CA the business is not considered a commercial business.
daycare 04:35 PM 10-10-2011
thanks for this info., i am actually on the phone with them right now.... awesome of you to give me this information..
daycare 05:00 PM 10-10-2011
thanks for this info., i am actually on the phone with them right now.... awesome of you to give me this information..
So corporate is telling me NO I don't need commercial insurance as long as I am not being paid to transport kids to and from school on any form of consistence basis.

BUT my agent is telling me NO, that is not correct...I am sooooo frustrated...lol
wdmmom 06:24 PM 10-10-2011
So corporate is telling me NO I don't need commercial insurance as long as I am not being paid to transport kids to and from school on any form of consistence basis.

BUT my agent is telling me NO, that is not correct...I am sooooo frustrated...lol
Same problems I ran into. One DCM said she wanted me to provide transportation to and from preschool for DCB. I looked into it and because it would be consistent and a regular service, I required a commercial policy.

If I want to take the kids to the pumpkin patch as a field trip, I don't need to have commercial insurance because it is not a trip we take on a regular basis.

I also know that if you advertise that you provide transportation, advertise your vehicle as a business vehicle or charge for transportation, you need a commercial policy...in Iowa anyway.
daycare 07:26 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Same problems I ran into. One DCM said she wanted me to provide transportation to and from preschool for DCB. I looked into it and because it would be consistent and a regular service, I required a commercial policy.

If I want to take the kids to the pumpkin patch as a field trip, I don't need to have commercial insurance because it is not a trip we take on a regular basis.

I also know that if you advertise that you provide transportation, advertise your vehicle as a business vehicle or charge for transportation, you need a commercial policy...in Iowa anyway.
I just got off the phone with progressive insurance and they said I would need a commerical policy... they said because of the high risk of libality, personal auto does not cover. I tried to tell them that I don't need to transport children in order to satisfy my services to these parents, as the job itself does not require me transporting children for any reason. they said even if I take them to the park, i needed commerical insurance even if it was once every 6 months....I think is BS!!!....thats just rubbish

If I decide to go commerical, my insuance will go up $120.00 a month, which I don't think that I could swallow right now.
jolson 12:55 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by MamaJ:
I'm just starting a daycare, and my current insurance (Auto-Owners), said the same thing.

I'm switching to State Farm.
I would recommend looking at West Bend as your insurance carrier. They have a great Childcare Insurance program and will also write your vehicle coverage if you transport children. State Farm only offers a rider to your Home insurance coverage (limited coverage) and will not cover personal vehicles used for business, which typically includes transporting people. I am an independent insurance agent in MN.
Tags:car insurance, insurance, transportation
Reply Up