Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Insurance
missjenny 09:34 PM 06-24-2012
Here in CA I either have to get insurance coverage or disclose to parents that I am not covered. Now I don't want a parents suing me over little jr scarping his knee or anything so I am looking at insurances. Does anyone know of any good ones particularly pertaining to small family daycare?

I've tried getting quotes for some but the few I looked at had a minimum you had to pay no matter how many children were covered. Since I would not have any more then 6 children it seems silly that I would have to pay a minimum that would be three times the amount the itemized list showed me for 6pt and 6ft children.

Of course I don't want to skimp on coverage since it always seems that when you are covered nothing happens but if you are not...
Unregistered 10:00 PM 06-24-2012
Originally Posted by missjenny:
Here in CA I either have to get insurance coverage or disclose to parents that I am not covered. Now I don't want a parents suing me over little jr scarping his knee or anything so I am looking at insurances. Does anyone know of any good ones particularly pertaining to small family daycare?

I've tried getting quotes for some but the few I looked at had a minimum you had to pay no matter how many children were covered. Since I would not have any more then 6 children it seems silly that I would have to pay a minimum that would be three times the amount the itemized list showed me for 6pt and 6ft children.

Of course I don't want to skimp on coverage since it always seems that when you are covered nothing happens but if you are not...
Do you own your home? If so, check with your home owners insurance. I had additional coverage added to my policy and it cost very little.
Countrygal 08:14 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you own your home? If so, check with your home owners insurance. I had additional coverage added to my policy and it cost very little.
THIS. I have pretty good liability through my homeowner's insurance. If yours doesn't offer it, it might be time for a change in insurance companies, because a lot of them DO offer it. There is sometimes a limit on the number of children, or you might have to be licensed or certified. It's worth checking into.
originalkat 08:37 AM 06-25-2012
As the others said, many home owners policies allow you to add a daycare rider to your policy for very little money. I have American Family and they covered up to 6 children with $300,000 coverage. However, I moved to a group license and I can have up to 10 kids so they went through a broker to add a business liability policy which costs me $500 per year for $1 million policy.
missjenny 10:03 AM 06-25-2012
I don't own my home and the hubby and are are looking for a bigger place since our lease is up soon. Would renters insurance have something like that then?
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by missjenny:
I don't own my home and the hubby and are are looking for a bigger place since our lease is up soon. Would renters insurance have something like that then?
You could try here. http://acainc.org/insurance_family.html

They are very reasonable as far as pricing goes.
DaisyMamma 11:30 AM 06-27-2012
http://www3.thomcoins.com/afds.cfm
SaborStyle 12:18 PM 08-17-2012
Be careful when asking your home owners insurance about the daycare. I got myself in trouble now because I asked them and they said they don't cover it and they are going to call back before it renews and if we are running a daycare out of our home we may get dropped.

I have AMICA.. it is very good, but that kinda sucks.

Is there anyway to find a rating system for daycare insurance? I want to see if any of the companies listed here are actually reputable.
MarinaVanessa 12:25 PM 08-17-2012
I have state farm insurance and I also get my insurance as a rider in addition to my homeowners. They may even be able to offer additional DC care insurance even if you are not already a customer.
MarinaVanessa 12:26 PM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by SaborStyle:
Be careful when asking your home owners insurance about the daycare. I got myself in trouble now because I asked them and they said they don't cover it and they are going to call back before it renews and if we are running a daycare out of our home we may get dropped.
Is this true with them even if you obtain a liability insurance policy elsewhere? That really sucks.
daycare 02:10 PM 08-17-2012
all-state will write you a liability insurance plan if you have renters or home owners insurance.
DaisyMamma 07:35 PM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
all-state will write you a liability insurance plan if you have renters or home owners insurance.
It might depend where you are, but in CT All-state told me they only cover 3 kids.
daycare 10:18 PM 08-17-2012
I find that to be very true that things differ by state.

I am in the same state as OP
Annalee 06:02 AM 08-18-2012
I have DCI insurance which is strictly for home child care providers and is based on the number of children in care. I find it to be very reasonable but wonderful coverage. I work through fax but my phone calls actually go to California. I believe they have a website as well and they allow you to set up your own payment plan. Hope this helps!
moshimoshi 01:55 PM 08-24-2012
Same thing happened to me. I was shopping around for new home insurance and as soon as I mentioned day care, the quote quadrupled!! I opted for a separate liability policy with Adults and Child Alliance. I think it was $300 for the year for up to 6 children with $1M/$3M coverage. According to their literature, they are rated A++.

Originally Posted by SaborStyle:

I have AMICA.. it is very good, but that kinda sucks.

Is there anyway to find a rating system for daycare insurance? I want to see if any of the companies listed here are actually reputable.

DaisyMamma 05:08 AM 08-25-2012
Originally Posted by moshimoshi:
same thing happened to me. I was shopping around for new home insurance and as soon as i mentioned day care, the quote quadrupled!! I opted for a separate liability policy with adults and child alliance. I think it was $300 for the year for up to 6 children with $1m/$3m coverage. According to their literature, they are rated a++.
wow! Killer price!
Tags:insurance
Reply Up