Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teaching Reading to Preschoolers
SunshineMama 06:21 AM 08-27-2012
With the school year beginning, I would like to step up my program and start to teach the kiddos to read.

I have taught all of the letters and letter sounds, as well as the vowels. We are ready to move on to blends, and soon, sight words hopefully. My goal is to have then reading a little bit by kindergarten next year.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to make this a fun activity for the kids? Or what steps to take to get started?

A friend of mine taught her son how to read sight words by taping the words to a wall and shooting the right word with a nerf gun. That looked like a fun activity!
Lilbutterflie 07:03 AM 08-27-2012
I have this set of little books that came with a Leap Frog Sing-Along Read-Along set. http://www.learningservicesus.com/ho...FQZrtgodthIAKA
We never really used the music CDs that came with it, but the books have been AWESOME. There are 12 books, with each focusing on one vowel sound. It works on sight words by putting the same words all throughout the book. And of course, all words are 3 letters long and the books are very short. Perfect for preschoolers who know their letter sounds and are learning to put them together to read!
SquirrellyMama 10:35 AM 08-27-2012
I taught all three of my own kids to read using Saxon Phonics and Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading. Saxon would probably be too much for preschoolers but OPGTR is great. The lessons only take 10-15 minutes.

Here is a link: http://www.rainbowresource.com/produ...c94f68d2c9b7c4

K
daycare 10:37 AM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
With the school year beginning, I would like to step up my program and start to teach the kiddos to read.

I have taught all of the letters and letter sounds, as well as the vowels. We are ready to move on to blends, and soon, sight words hopefully. My goal is to have then reading a little bit by kindergarten next year.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to make this a fun activity for the kids? Or what steps to take to get started?

A friend of mine taught her son how to read sight words by taping the words to a wall and shooting the right word with a nerf gun. That looked like a fun activity!
you already know what I am going to say...

zoo phonics.....google it
newtodaycare22 11:10 AM 08-27-2012
Check out Bob Books too
daycare 12:41 PM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
Check out Bob Books too
I love bob books and word family books...you can even find websites that you can make you own word family books to print out yourself.

I love them. I just put them in a folder that I buy from walmart after school sale for 5 cents....
Reply Up