Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Need Some Advice Please!!
AnythingsPossible 10:14 AM 07-10-2013
I had a little girl that was injured at daycare. They were playing and things happen, the parents weren't and still aren't upset about it, this happened months ago. Their insurance was refusing to pay until they found out if i carry insurance--which i don't. I am still unsure as to if their insurance company is going to cover it. This is their last month of care due to different reasons, and i would like to wave their fee to help offset the cost of their deductible.
My husband says I shouldn't because accidents happen and it's the parents responsibility. I feel like I should because it happened here. My fear is that they could come back and say that I am admitting guilt or fault by offering to pay part of the bill. I would like to think they wouldn't, but you never truly know what people are going to do!
Does anyone have thoughts on this?
daycarediva 10:29 AM 07-10-2013
I would NOT offer to pay for it. They have health insurance, it should cover it.

I HIGHLY recommend you get liability insurance ASAP to protect yourself from any future events.
coolconfidentme 10:31 AM 07-10-2013
I would think one has nothing to do with the other so you should charge as normal. If you wanted to help pay the deductible, do it separately.
Brooksie 10:37 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would NOT offer to pay for it. They have health insurance, it should cover it.

I HIGHLY recommend you get liability insurance ASAP to protect yourself from any future events.

AnythingsPossible 10:48 AM 07-10-2013
I have been in business for 11 years and have never carried insurance. I know I should, but it's hard for me to go there. I wouldn't even know where to start!!
MyAngels 02:09 PM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Definitely this. The relatively minor cost of insurance is well worth the peace of mind.

If you paid any part of the deductible, even if the parents didn't come back on you later, the insurance company very well could. They are already questioning the claim and offering to pay anything at all could very well open you up to a claim of liability by the insurance company. Even if they didn't win, the time, effort and expense of dealing with it could leave you in the hole.
daycare 02:14 PM 07-10-2013
I am sure that you are feeling bad about the whole thing, but that is why they are called ACCIDENTS....... You didn't mean for it to happen, no one did. As a parent, we know that our child WILL get hurt, just like they will get sick. The parents have insurance to cover these things. I would NOT offer to pay for it. NOW if you were at fault, like you left the child on the changing table, then yes I would say pay for it.......

Forgive yourself, you are not perfect, none of us are.......

I also 2nd getting some liability insurance......
Unregistered 02:25 PM 07-10-2013
I think you should still make them pay for the last month. Accidents happen.

And I 3rd the suggestion of getting liability insurance. I have run my own daycare for 6 years and I have always had liability insurance. I pay every month for it and fortunately have never had to use it but its nice to know its there if its ever needed.

Plus you can write it off as a business expense... so its worth it to have!!
tarwel 02:27 PM 07-10-2013
ooppss that was me up there ^^^ as an "unregistered guest"

forgot to log in
AmyKidsCo 05:53 PM 07-10-2013
I agree that you should get liability insurance. Also, don't pay for anything because it could be considered an admission of guilt if they ever decide to sue you over it. Be sure to document EVERYTHING if you haven't yet - just in case.

We never like to think that parents will "go crazy" on us but I've had it happen more than once just out of the blue, from parents I NEVER would've suspected. Better to CYA now than be sorry later.
Cradle2crayons 06:08 PM 07-10-2013
I agree with every one else. Accidents happen. Yes, you should have liability insurance. But regardless you are not responsible for laying ear deductible for an accident any more than you should pay a doctor visit if they get sick. It's the same concept. Unless it was due to negligence, you should not pay their deductible.

They should pay their tuition regardless.
Tags:accident report, insurance
Reply Up